Linode is awesome!
January 23, 2021

Linode is awesome!

Overall Satisfaction with Linode

Linode hosts our customized retreat management database written in Laravel. It is mission critical and used by the whole organization. It tracks retreatant demographics, retreat events, registration, room assignments, asset management, and communications with the retreatants. It allows for us to easily report to board members the number of events, participants, and donations given.
  • Price
  • Support
  • Reliability
  • Great return on investment
I use both Linode and Digital Ocean for virtual servers. They both offer affordable virtual servers and a variety of options. They both offer backup options for the virtual servers for a reasonable price. I moved away from Codero after they migrated to Azure and their pricing became complicated and no longer the same value. Linode is reliable and a great value.
I have found Linode to be proactive on issues. When I have submitted support tickets, they are responded to promptly by people who are experienced and know what they are talking about. This allows for quick resolution. I have not needed a phone number to call--the humans who respond to my support tickets have been fantastic.
I cannot find a better value than Linode. The performance and reliability of the virtual server has been superb. When I ran into an issue with GRUB, having the ability to restore from a snapshot was very helpful. Automating some of our communications saves our staff time every day. We used to email each retreatant to confirm they were coming. Now this process is automated, saving over a hundred man-hours per year.
Reliability is extremely important. Every phone call and communication is entered into our database. We rely upon the database to track financial donations and bookstore purchases. Contracts are stored on the system. The importance of reliability cannot be understated for us. I monitor uptime with UptimeRobot, and my Linode instances have been virtually flawless.
Twilio, Google Analytics, Google Workspace (formerly G Suite)
I find Linode most useful for smaller, customized projects. I'm not sure how well it actually scales simply because I have never needed it to do so. My use scenarios are limited to smaller projects that only need one server, so I have never had to do anything with load balancing or huge amounts of data.