Overall Satisfaction with LiveAction
We use LiveAction in basically two departments, infrastructure operations (primarily in the QoS arena) and security operations (Netflow data). As the IT security manager, I use it primarily for network overview and netflow data monitoring. It is a great product to give me insight to our overall network architecture and where I can drill down to those areas I need further detail. Its ability to give me the granularity to further investigate possible security incidents is valuable.
- Architecture overview with drill down capability by device.
- Detailed reporting of network traffic by type.
- Great filtering capability which allows granular capture and review of different data types.
- Great QoS functionality (Although I personally do not use it since mine is a primarily security function). Our infrastructure operations group utilizes it in that vein.
- I use it primarily as a monitoring tool from a security standpoint, so one complaint is that the filter creation process takes a little time to learn.
- In the digital days of printing less, I do still need to print network diagrams for compliance documentation and some of the larger network diagrams documents do not print easily.
- I wish the network connection lines were easier to see. They are typically very light and you have to drill down to see them more clearly.
- Real time insight to network issues whether security related or not.
- Great reporting features for executives.
Our infrastructure group evaluated SolarWinds from a network device management perspective and was impressed with the product. However, we were evaluating it from the device management functionality primarily, so a different role than what LiveAction was going to provide.
Again, I use the product simply from a network flow perspective since security is my focus. In conjunction with a product like Wireshark, LiveAction gives me the visibility into the live data coming across our network. From what my IO Group tells me, it is a great QoS monitoring tool for day to day management.