NAKIVO Back & replication
April 17, 2018

NAKIVO Back & replication

Νίκος Στεργιώτης | TrustRadius Reviewer

Overall Satisfaction with NAKIVO Backup & Replication

I am implementing NAKIVO installations for my clients, using N.A.S. instead of computers. NAKIVO licensing model and pricing allowing my clients -no matter the size- to be able to use a robust backup software, without having to pay too much. Using N.A.S. instead of computer means that I (and the client) no longer have to worry about Windows Updates, .net versions, Windows versions, e.t.c. All I have to do is feed the N.A.S. with electricity and network, the rest are running smoothly automatically. The first backup can start in less than five (5) minutes, from the initial configuration. Later on, if you tweak the configuration a bit, you can have high-speed backups, CBT and data deduplication up to 66%. For Off-site backups, I can configure AWS, or if the client doesn't wish to send the backup to the cloud, I can install an external USB 3.0 hard disk on the N.A.S. and schedule a -LAN free- copy of data from the N.A.S. to the disk. I can schedule the Off-site job to attach the external disk at a specific time & date, make the backup, run a custom script (i.e. xcopy *.* to \\NAS\backup) to add some necessary files to the off-site hdd) and then automatically detach the disk and inform the client about the outcome via email. All-in-all a great product.

Pros

• Easy to install, the first backup comes within 5 minutes.
  • Excellent support and followup.
  • Nice price.

Cons

• I cant think of something missing right now. Minor tweaks that it will be nice to have in 7.2 are already Incorporated in 7.3.
  • NAKIVO has great pricing and licensing model. Annual subscription fee is also nicely priced.
In general, I do like to publicly compare products and I certainly I will not start now. All manufacturers are trying to do their best, some of them are backward compatible (such as NAKIVO) to vmware esxi 4.1, some others not, some don't support Windows versions earlier than 2008. Is also true, that no software has it all, you may find a feature here that is not available there and vice versa. Sometimes is all about legacy software, sometimes is about money and sometimes is about what you already know and the reluctance to know something fresh.
NAKIVO can be installed and used in all scenarios, with or without in-house I.T. staff. Most of my clients, don't have in-house I.T. and they don't want to get tangled with the backup procedure, thus there is only one way: set it and forget it. The backups are running smoothly, the email after each job is briefing me with the results, all I have to do is to upgrade the version, each time that new "goodies" are added to the product.

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Feature Ratings