Overall Satisfaction with Oracle Java SE
We use Oracle Java SE for various purposes including development API Rest Service with Restlet framework, front-end applications with Spring and Spring Boot framework, back-end applications, writing automation test-cases on Selenium using java SE and creating some convenient tools with Java. The Java application is well structured and strictly object-orientation making it easy to understand, manage and maintain.
- Plenty support built into the tool and IDE like Maven, Ant, Eclipse, IntelliJ.
- Strong object-orientation language and clear project structure.
- Wrapper underlines hardware and memory management so the developers can focus on business and implementation.
- It offers a huge library and framework support from third-parties and the community.
- It is hard to manage memory.
- Swing UI module is not good.
- Need time to initiate VM so the startup time is a little slow compared to other programs like Bash or Python.
- With good structure and strong object-orientation, applications written in Java are easy to manage and maintain for a new team member.
- Its open-source framework and library allows us to develop applications.
- We are able to deploy our code into different environments.
- Reduced the time needed for troubleshooting and issue. n
We choose Java as our system has multiple sub-applications that have different purposes and architecture including back-end applications, front-end UI, front-end Rest API, and Selenium Automation tests. They are deployed in Windows and Linux, communicate with each other using Rest API, RMI and Queue Message and need to support different deployment environment from Dev, Test, UAT to Production so using Java allows us to have a common standard from development, build and deployment for all applications.
The support from the community is great. We are able to find the design solution, the example of code for specifying logic, ready application architecture from the community, and when we have a problem or issue we are able to find similar questions and answers on the internet.
Do you think Oracle Java SE delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Oracle Java SE's feature set?
Did Oracle Java SE live up to sales and marketing promises?
I wasn't involved with the selection/purchase process
Did implementation of Oracle Java SE go as expected?
Would you buy Oracle Java SE again?
Oracle Java SE is the most popular program language and it suitable for almost kind of application and special for the big system which needs to separate into many sub-application with different business and deployment types as Java has many frameworks, libraries, and tools. Many of these are open-source tools by the community and support various integration types from Rest, SOAP API, RMI, File access... It has allowed me to be able to deploy in multiple OS without changing the code. In case the Application needs to deeply access hardware such as the driver, memory address, OS thread or needs to strickly manage memory such as allocating, pointing and deallocating, we needed another programming language.