Great Code Version Control
September 30, 2019
Great Code Version Control
Senior Firmware Engineer
Spirent CommunicationsTelecommunications, 1001-5000 employees
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Perforce
Perforce is the main code version control tool that we utilize at our company. It is incredibly useful to keep track of our code history and branches. The visual client is very easy to use and presents the directory structure in a convenient way. It is easy to install on any system and the user interface is consistent across platforms. Perforce has great merge optimization that is extremely useful in day to day operations.
- Merge algorithm is smart and utilizing the visual interface to do merges makes them easier to digest.
- Easy to set up on multiple platforms and architectures and is well supported on all of them.
- Visual interface has many tools and customization options that help to optimize and personalize workflow.
- Updating Perforce is somewhat challenging, especially on Linux Systems.
- Sometimes settings disappear.
- In order to customize the font settings, you must restart the visual client.
- Perforce could display its progress in a clearer way.
- Reduce merge issues which saves a lot of time and prevents issues.
- Easy to set up and start working for new hires or new systems, which saves time.
- Clear visual presentation of code version metadata improves overall clarity into code base.
Perforce has a better built native visual client that is much simpler to use than Git's. It has a lot of optimizations in the workflow that can execute common patterns during a usual workday. Perforce also has an easier to understand method of presenting merge conflicts and does a better overall job of handling merges.
The Perforce documentation is well supported with articles explaining how to utilize the different commands. This extends to the support for the visual client as well as the various config files which are installed with perforce. Any other help can be found online via a quick Google search so it is always possible to find a solution to whatever you are trying to accomplish.
Do you think Perforce Helix Core delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Perforce Helix Core's feature set?
Did Perforce Helix Core live up to sales and marketing promises?
I wasn't involved with the selection/purchase process
Did implementation of Perforce Helix Core go as expected?
I wasn't involved with the implementation phase
Would you buy Perforce Helix Core again?
Perforce is a perfect choice for large or small corporations who need a code version control tool. It is highly capable of handling the tasks that a version control tool should with the added benefit of having an easy-to-use visual client with the option of the command-line interface. It is very useful when doing a lot of merges and branching as it has a good workflow for resolving any conflicts. It is also good if you prefer using visual interfaces since it is built by the same people and is optimized to execute common commands and workflows.