SolarWinds DPA is a great product to visually see the health of the databases and make a proactive monitoring and root cause analysis
Updated July 17, 2020

Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer

In our company we use SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer for proactive performance monitoring and anomaly detection in database overall health. This product gives us a first look at the big picture of the database performance. We configured some alerts and mail notifications, which saves us a lot of time. Our most common use case is to react to changed execution plans and take appropriate actions before end users of the systems start to complain about performance problem and response times.
  • Anomaly detection powered by machine learning - new in version 12, greatly love that statistical analysis
  • Compare workload versus past on daily basis and total, it really helps us to see big picture of growth and make capacity considerations
  • Intuitive performance analysis - easyly examine the problems and find the root cause
  • In the last two versions 12.0 and 12.1 SolarWinds has made great enhancements. I do not have a thing that I currently want to be changed. There are some cosmetics in the user interface but do not think that they are problems.
  • I cannot provide quantitative data, but can give you some real positive impact example .
  • We had several points in the Internet banking applications which do not work as well as desired. Using DPA we identified the heaviest SQL queries and initiate a change request to the vendor. After implementing the received changes we are able to reduce response time by an order of magnitude.
I cannot share an example due to regulatory restriction.
In our organization we used the Table Tuning Advisors to generate additional statistics on one of the MS SQL servers we had.
I think it is well suited for mission-critical databases where every percent performance is a must. Maybe it would do great work in a data warehouse too, especially in detecting performance loss in ETL jobs. Actually, I think it is well-suited in all the use cases, if you have enough licenses :).

SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer Support

I actually didn't have troubles with the product. So the support was used only one time. We migrated the main database monitored by Solarwinds DPA to another database using import and export. We would like to continue monitor the database paerformance not loosing the historical data currently accumulated. The solution was given by the support extreemly fast and accurate.
Assistance with upgrade your environment (where applicable) - We upgraded quite a lot times the product, from version to verssion. Only one time there was a problem which was fixed super fast. Actually I gave them a recomendation for the problem but they gave me first a workaround. Overall really satisfied.
We do not use that functonality.
In my first answer I describe exact that thing. Really recommend the product, the support is great, the product too. It is ideal that both the things are queally good.
We do not use Orion, just the DPA.