May 01, 2019
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer
We use DPA to manage a very large and somewhat cranky SQL environment for ambulatory healthcare end users (from providers and office managers to assistants and front desk personnel). The DB schema dates to the 1990s and requires regular supervision and management at a level the system vendor doesn't provide. Addressed problems include plan management, index addition and revision, partitioning and troubleshooting poor performance.
- Near-instantaneous feedback on problem queries
- Allows us to evaluate changes in the application or its stored procedures over time
- We can drill down to the end-user level to identify potential issues, important with > 2000 sessions daily
- Can't think of any feature or ops related issues. Prior complaints have all been addressed in newer updates.
- Only main complaint is cost -- we would adopt for other servers if the incremental cost wasn't so high for a few additional instances (we have 3 servers we would like to use DPA with, but can't justify the x3 pricing per instance).
- DPA allows our DBA to be more agile and find solutions to SQL problems faster. This results in better service to our end users, and better performance on the EHR system to our providers, allowing them to complete chart service for a patient much faster.
We've had numerous cases where a report of slow performance has been traced to a specific user problem. We can make educated guesses regarding which user session is the proximate cause after the fact with native SQL tools like Profiler, but the 1-minute granularity of the DPA Timeslice allows us to respond much faster, to not only identify the problem session but to determine the cause and work up a solution.
This is a great capability that we use regularly to fine-tune stored procedures. The nature of our software suite doesn't allow us to modify all application queries, as much of the SQL code is launched by calls from the app itself and not through an SP, but we use the data from DPA as evidence to encourage our vendor to revise their code.
DPA has the best combination of capability, usability and availability in the SQL analysis market.