Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer
DPA is one of the support tools used by our organization, deployed on some departments where legacy system databases still exist. It empowers our operations when it comes to response time and ability to provide good reporting presentation. I've been in IT Service Delivery and Operation for 10 years, from my experience with different infrastructure and application issues, most of the pain points we've had is the application performance related problems. One of the stories I can share is that it enables us easily detect what is causing bottlenecks and as such good collaboration has emerged with our developers whether the issue lies on our databases or on their codes.
- Maintainability and accommodating Support service and easy to follow Release Notes/Documentation.
- The relevance of the pre-defined Reports and Checks.
- Simplicity of the tool. Easy to use and understand.
- Resiliency of the Monitoring checks after the server underwent maintenance reboot. My experience is the monitor (Action) needs to be started manually. If possible it can automatically detect service/server then start to monitor again when system is back up.
- Much lighter UI.
- Granularity up to minutes.
- Positive impact for organization that works with agile development as the issue will be known ahead prior implementing in production.
- Positive impact for Operations delivery responsiveness.
It is best suited for batch jobs processing databases and maintains on-premise infrastructure. It will only be less appropriate if the organization or company is completely running databases on a managed cloud platform as there are available tools for monitoring systems health. However, it is also useful for cost optimization for cloud database users. It is also beneficial to operations to easily pinpoint the performance related issue and prevent ping pong with developers.