Overall Satisfaction with Splunk
Splunk was used in a variety of log collection activities for Linux and UNIX systems, both in our company and at our customers companies. It allowed for the easy collection of logs, searching, and automated actions resulting from the messages received. The multi-tier architecture was easy to install and operate, as well as provided significant flexibility for our customer implementations.
- Gathering log messages from a multitude of sources.
- Summarizing and gathering important information from those logs.
- Allows simple and advanced searches, as well as complex automations to be created, gathering more value from existing data.
- There is a bit of a learning curve for a multi-tier architecture, but with a little work its easy to understand from the instructional materials provided by Splunk.
- Searches can take a bit to understand, especially regular expressions and search syntax.
- As always, understanding your data is paramount to being able to derive value from it.
- Splunk has a very rapid ROI given how easy it is to setup a basic instance. It results in almost immediate value.
- Its highly configurable and is easily adaptable to your unique business needs.
- Once you solve one business problem with it, you will certainly realize other areas that your existing installation can be leveraged to solve.
- All other competitors
Its the gold standard.. there is very little comparison. Hands down its the best!
It solves my problems in this space rapidly, easily, and efficiently. It helps me get to the real problem and solve it without getting caught up in a large software installation (it doesn't become the problem).
Its the Swiss army knife of log collection and searching. I'd recommend it wholeheartedly. I consider it to be the gold standard for products in this industry. Working with the vendor is easy, as they have a very open and helpful attitude. And you can try the product for free to get a feel for it before investing heavily in it (which you will want to once you decide how it benefits your organization).