A nice client tool
November 26, 2018

A nice client tool

Overall Satisfaction with Oracle SQL Developer

SQL Developers is used by many developers and DBA across several departments in our company.
  • Comparing with native SQLPLUS, or command line interface, SQL Developer provides a user-friendly interface to communicate with Oracle databases.
  • As a DBA, I especially like the DBA tools which can manipulate AWR, configure Resource Manager, launch SQL Tuning Advisor, etc.
  • Another function people use a lot is to export a table into csv format. SQL Developer makes it very easy.
  • SQL Developer doesn't support MySQL database. We need to use MySQL Workbench. It would great if a single client tool woks for all DBs someday.
  • The explain plan can be shown as a better diagram. For a long sophisticated plan, it is not very easy to read and to catch where the bottleneck is
  • I don't find partition display in SQL Developers
  • Since this is a free tool, it definitely gives a positive impact.
  • Many developers and DBAs use it as a daily tool.
  • It is easy to set up, intuitive to use. Needs minimum support.
Yes - I am a member of the Northern California Oracle User Group.

NoCoug does a great job promoting Oracle usage and improving Oracle job skills. I learned a lot from regularly attending the quarterly conferences.
SQL Developer is free, and it is providing more and more functions.
Many developers who are not familiar with dictionary views find SQL Developer a nice GUI to access DB objects. In addition to DBConsole and command lines, DBAs now have one more interface to manage jobs, reports, configurations. SQL Developer is free, which is a great benefit comparing with some other client tools. I use command line most of the time, which I am used to, and it gives nice display of execution plans.