Veeam Backs Up All For You
October 08, 2018
Veeam Backs Up All For You
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Veeam Backup & Replication
Since my office started to implement virtual machines 5 years ago, we switched to using Veeam as our primary backup tool. Also because our Los Angeles office is the only one with virtual machines, we're the only office out of 3 that are using Veeam. With the past 3 months, I started to familiarize myself with the use of Veeam taking over this task from our computer consultants. Veeam is a powerful tool providing us with the ability to backup virtual & physical machines with multiple scheduled tasks along with automated reports on the status of each backup job performed.
- Excellent collaboration with VmWare to backup virtual machines created using VmWare
- Provides a scheduling tool to perform timed backup tasks
- sends out email notifications to specified email addresses of backup success or failures when jobs are completed
- Veeam seems to force the multiple functions provided into a single application window without an option to open the various modules as separate windows. Since these modules are sometimes related, it would be better to be able to see the modules opened in separate windows to modify side by side.
- Since Veeam is closely tied in to VmWare when virtual machine backup jobs are created, any changes to information like credentials on VmWare could impact Veeam backup jobs connected with the VmWare virtual machines. Currently there isn't an option to automatically port the changes made on VmWare over to Veeam. You'll have to re-enter those changed credentials.
- We had a situation where data on one of our virtual machines crashed. We were glad that we had a Veeam backup of that data and information was restored rather quickly within hours instead of days due to the convenience of using Veeam.
- Since Veeam provides immediate email feedback after a backup job has ran, right away I knew if the job succeeded or failed. When a job does fail, which there were times when this happened, I can make the adjustments necessary and immediately instruct Veeam to start the backup job over again.
Veeam Backup & Replication offers so much more in comparison to other backup software we've used before like Allway Sync or FreeFileSync. Besides backup job scheduling, Veeam can backup entire virtual machines created by VmWare.
Veeam is well suited for scenarios when backing up of virtual machines are required. If you are only using tapes for backups, though Veeam supports this process, it's best to use pure tape backup software to handle this instead of investing in Veeam with so much more bells & whistles.