Vista from the eyes of HR!
January 23, 2015
Vista from the eyes of HR!
Professional in Human ResourcesUtilities Company, 201-500 employees
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Vista HRMS
Our organization uses Vista HRMS for Human Resource and Payroll functions. We also use the Recruiting tools within Vista to power our online application process. We use Vista across the entire company at different accesses/levels. For instance our HR and Accounting departments use all areas of Vista while a supervisor may use it to look at an employee's salary level, past performance review evaluations, safety training, etc. An employee uses Vista to check the benefits they are enrolled in, their pay information, and ensure that their personal information is up to date and accurate. It serves as a user friendly tool that all levels of computer users feel comfortable accessing.
- The recruiting tab within the HR function of Vista proved to be a great asset to our organization. It makes reviewing resumes and posting jobs to our website very easy to do. The set up can take awhile and you need a great IT team to support you, but once it is up and running things work great. You are able to change an employee's status, schedule interviews with departments, and view their resumes/applications without having to print anything! You can also create an electronic flow chart to route new job postings for approval through the appropriate chain of command. If your HR department is looking to become leaner and go paperless this is a great tool to use.
- Tracking of employee's education and courses/certifications. Our company likes to have a detailed trail of all courses/certifications/degrees that an employee has for performance review evaluations and for future career planning of individuals. Vista does a particularly good job of tracking courses and making this information easy to access for department supervisors and employees. It will also allow you to enter an expiration date of a certificate and notifies you when you are due to re-certify or take another safety course. It makes tracking this information very easy.
- Review process. Every company, especially in the HR department, cringes at review time. It's a huge undertaking regardless of how many employees your organization has. With the Vista HRMS system, it allows department supervisors/managers to easily access a past employee review. It also allows the employee to read their past reviews to assist in writing their current one. It also allows for reviews, once completed, to be submitted electronically through an approval process and attached to the employee's record for future references.
- Vista HRMS was written by IT-minded individuals which makes it sometimes difficult for someone who is not IT-minded to leverage the system to do the things you want/need it to do for your organization. If your company has a very strong IT department this may not be an issue. However, if you are a small organization who doesn't have a strong IT department, you will have to heavily rely on Vista to walk you through challenges or read up on their manuals (which can be difficult to understand since they are geared towards an IT professional).
- Getting the proper reports that you need can be an issue. The system allows you to write new reports but can be very difficult to do and to export into a format that you are wanting. This is probably the area our organization struggled with the most. We knew the data was in their but had a hard time finding a way to get it out. Our IT department was gracious in helping us but often times had to find some sort of work-around to get the data we needed. This is definitely an area that Vista can approve.
- Increased efficiency for several departments- mainly HR, Safety, and Payroll. Helps move to more of a paperless feature.
- Allows HR to better serve their employees since they can easily access an employee's information if they have questions on benefits, pay, review forms, etc.
- Allows employees to be cross-trained and have a better understanding of other departments within the organization and how they are leveraging the data the system grants them access to.
If you are looking for a system to help you with less paper-trail and something that is all encompassing, Vista is a great system to use. Overall it is probably one of the best HR systems I have used. It is easy to access all areas (HR, Safety, Payroll) in one system. It makes working with other departments easy because everyone has the same information in front of them. It is also easy to grant different levels of access for all employees. If you are wanting to find a way to have your HR system speak with your online website in the form of recruiting, this is a great tool to use. I would ask yourself what do you need from a current HRIS system? Do you need departments to have access to similar information? If you have a large company and need your employees to be cross-trained in other areas, this system does a great job of that.
PDS Vista Feature Ratings
Employee demographic data
Job profiles and administration
Workflow for transfers, promotions, pay raises, etc.
Organization and location management
Compliance data (COBRA, OSHA, etc.)
Support for external payroll vendors
Benefit plan administration
Direct deposit files
Salary revision and increment management
Annual carry-forward and encashment
View and generate pay and benefit information
Update personal information
View company policy documentation
Tracking of all physical assets
Ability to combine HR data with external data