Overall Satisfaction with Visual Studio IDE
Visual Studio is the default all-inclusive development IDE for the Microsoft stack including .Net application development and business intelligence development. The application development team uses it exclusively for in-house development and extension of our .Net applications, while the business intelligence team uses it for report development and deployment to SharePoint.
- Cohesive development solution for the Microsoft stack
- Deployment and code management
- Enhanced functionality through the many community plug-ins and additional add-ons
- Business Intelligence functions are a bit behind (still no bulk-update solution out-of-the-box without getting creative)
- Rapid development and deployment of applications.
- Cohesive development across application and business intelligence development
- SAP Business Objects
If you plan on staying with the Microsoft stack (SQL Server, Windows Server with IIS, SharePoint) then there is no reason not to use Visual Studio. For mixed-mode environments or nearly anything else, there are better individual solutions (application development tools, report writers, BI platforms, data integration tools) if finances are more flexible.
Using Visual Studio IDE
12 - Integration Services (SSIS) for data integration, SSAS for OLAP cubes, and SSRS for standalone reporting.
- Application Development
- Business Intelligence
- Data Integration