Overall Satisfaction with VMware ESXi
Currently we use VMware ESXi on all of our physical servers to reduce operating costs of having to run a physical server for each need. We have 17 physical servers hosting everything from websites and databases to fully running virtual servers for our clients. So far this has been the best investment to our server infrastructure with little to no cons. Our clients love the fact that they know their servers are virtual and constantly being backed up and more.
- Very easy server creation and administration
- Ability to fine tune the virtual machines and virtual hardware
- Central managed with VCenter license
- Installs on most server hardware including those 15 years old
- Some of the licensing is very expensive and support costs are too much for smaller businesses
- It would be nice to have some features licensed independently such as a web based vsphere without having to buy all of VCenter
- Low operating costs using ESXi
- The ability to run many virtual OS based on our needs
- Keeps out client relations up with not having to charge them more for a physical server
After trying Hyper-V, Xen, Proxmox VE and more we ended up choosing to go with VMware ESXi due to the ease of use and administration for our consultants. This in turn keeps our clients happy by reducing costs and support times when needed. While Hyper-V came in close the extra resources needed to run the base OS and less options such as promiscuous NICs made our decision to use ESXi worthwhile.
I have used VMware ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V, Proxmox VE, Xen and KVM and of all of them VMware ESXi was the quickest and easiest to set up right out of the box and get up and running with very little configuration or knowledge. While I do not mind having to get down and dirty in the CLI the majority of ESXi is install, set up the passwords and NICs and start flying.