Alcatel-Lucent OmniAccess Access Points work with OmniAccess WLAN switches/controllers to provide a high performance wireless mobility solution for enterprises. They can be securely deployed in a variety of locations such as on walls, cubicles, desktops, and in the ceiling, and the…
Lumen Managed Enterprise with Cisco Meraki (replacing the former CenturyLink WiFi service) is a secure, simple Wi-Fi and networking solution with enhanced reporting, as a managed service for businesses.
What Are Wireless WAN Solutions?
Wireless WAN (Wide Area Network) solutions offer businesses the ability to provide wireless connection beyond a certain point, such as outside a building or property. These solutions offer a contrast to LAN solutions (local area network) which only connect computers and other devices within the property. WAN solutions usually will rely on different cellular network providers in order to transfer their signals. Because of the number of WAN solutions that may be relying on the same network provider, this could affect the performance and speed of some businesses.
Wireless WAN offers increased security features over LAN solutions given the public nature of the technologies leveraged in a wide area network. These solutions are ideal for those who work away from their desk a lot, such as remote workers or employees that work while traveling. Unlike a traditional router that requires hardware, Wireless WAN products are usually installed in your laptop or purchased as a pre-installed card. This makes it convenient to move around and stay connected while using your cellular provider to keep users productive no matter their location.
Wireless WAN Solution Features
Some useful features and characteristics when using wireless WAN solutions include:
- Real-time security monitoring
- Branch connectivity
- Encrypted traffic management & monitoring
- Support & technical resources
- Adaptive connectivity
Wireless WAN Solutions Comparison
Some important factors to remember when choosing your wireless WAN product include:
- Compatibility: In order to use a wireless WAN product, you will need a laptop or device that is enabled to support WWAN. These laptops will either have or have the ability to add cards with WWAN installed in them. Be sure that whatever device you plan to connect will have compatibility with your wireless solution.
- Range of Coverage: The amount of coverage desired will vary according to the user. If you plan to have multiple users in more than one specific location, be sure the product will be able to support this range. Users planning to be the only ones connecting may not need the same additional features and scalability.
- Setup & Support: Upon purchasing, it is important to feel supported throughout using your wireless WAN solutions. Additionally, products will vary in how easy to implement they are. Make sure that each option can be quickly implemented without overburdening your existing IT resources.
Wireless WAN solutions are very specific according to the users, and therefore pricing is usually not displayed publicly. Contact the vendors through their website or give them a call to receive a personalized quote. Most, if not all, wireless WAN solutions will offer a free demo of their product so you can be comfortable you’ve made the right decision.