Mendix<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring#question3' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>Customer Verified: Read more.</a>
<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>trScore algorithm: Learn more.</a>Score 8.7 out of 101
Based on 87 reviews and ratings
Likelihood to Recommend
We use Alpha Anywhere to develop large scale business applications. So far, we haven't found any real limitations. This is exemplified by my response to my customers who frequently ask, "Is it possible..." I always interrupt them before this sentence goes any further by telling them, "with our development platform, anything's possible" (then we have to discuss whether the time/cost is worth the added benefit of what they're requesting).
When trying to take many small to midsize applications and quickly convert them this tool is ideal. I can't stress enough how much our organization has enjoyed this tool and hope to use it in more areas. For large scale applications, I would recommend doing an analysis of the application and see if there is any way to break it into smaller pieces that would be easier to maintain.
Team Lead in Information TechnologyInsurance Company, 1001-5000 employees
- Our company had been creating small business applications since the 1980's, when we used DBase IV (don't laugh... that's what was available). Then, we got more "sophisticated" with Microsoft Access. Clearly, we would always be limited with what we can do with those two programs. By accident, during an Internet search, we saw and ad for Alpha Anywhere (back then, it was called Alpha V). After working with the 30 free trial for just two weeks, we retired Access, for good. The best part was Alpha's flexibility in its use of "back end" data tables. That allowed us to use existing Access tables as we redesigned the front-end program (Alpha ships with its own DBF system, but we prefer SQL-Based tables). You can choose, SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, Access, Paradox (actually, too many to name) for your tables. You can even create links to Excel spreadsheets or QuickBooks Tables. It's outstanding!
- Alpha allows developers to create very large and very complex programs. However, it's also a great choice for RAD (Rapid Application Development) for those who need to be up and running quickly or for less experienced programmers. Actually, the interface truly allows for "codeless" development of your application (more on that later). That means you can design a fully functional application, without typing a single line of code. They have some examples on their website.
- My favorite part of Alpha is that it is constantly adding features and functions that allow us to do more with our applications. In fact, one of my biggest problems is that I need more time to learn and practice the added features as fast as they are introduced
- Prior to Alpha Anywhere, we never considered creating/developing "mobile" applications (for tablets, smartphones, etc.). Alpha created a unique "panel" system that makes those application work great... and allows for the design of very sophisticated Apps.
- Mendix is a good solution for those that have a business process and distinct workflow that can be replicated by custom application development, especially for those building a startup business or just getting started with application development for internal solutions because of its "low code" environment.
- You will find that developing on Mendix will cost between 40% to 60% less than traditional development because the environment doesn't require highly specialized technology experts to code the application.
- Mendix lends itself well to an Agile development methodology and SCRUM. The platform allows for iterative, rapid development. With Kermit, we release updates weekly and can rapidly prototype, test and deploy anything from bug fixes to new features.
- Because Mendix is a platform as a service, your team can concentrate on your niche and business expertise rather than adding a group of IT staff to manage hardware and software infrastructure
- Whenever I'm asked to criticize Alpha Anywhere, my first comment refers to the documentation. For sure, they've made some improvements, this year, but I still wish it were better. Because I moved from another development package, I really had to start learning from scratch... I've been at it, for years, and I still feel like I have a way to go. The good news is that Alpha has a very active Message Board and there are lots of people who generously give their time to answer questions and help solve problems. There's no "tech support" line to call for help. Alpha DOES offer a paid "mentoring" service, which I used, several times. Unfortunately, my experience with the mentors wasn't as positive as I hoped it would be.
- Alpha needs to improve its "templates" to make them more modern for users. I've never had a complaint from users, but I'd like my applications to have a newer, flashier look.
- Mendix would be well-served to build a roadmap for the traditional developer to move from hand-coding to the Mendix app platform and their Developer app environment. When we had to replace a lead developer, we had some hiring challenges looking within the traditional custom app development skill set for new people. Hard core developers typically see platforms like this as a "less-than" solution and not a true development environment.
- Mendix is somewhat mature in Europe, but in its infancy in the US. As such, it can be very difficult to find experienced Mendix developers in the US. A number of the experienced developers are managing their own consultancies rather than being available for full time employment (probably because it is far more lucrative for them). We had some success in hiring someone with basic custom app dev skills and training them on Mendix (4 months), but have also had some failures in this area.
- Upgrading to new full release versions of Mendix has been an issue for us because we have developed a number of detailed workflows and customizations to other developers' widgets from the Mendix App Store. At each major release, we need to carefully think about and test for issues prior to and after migration.
No answers yet
Based on 1 answer
A 10 would say I have nothing to wish for. A 9 means I haven't seen anything better.This tool really helps you in the whole creation and maintenace cycle, so from requirements to building/modeling to testing to deploying to capturing feedback.
No answers yet
Based on 3 answers
The combination of a forum, a support desk, expert services and great partners make that you can solve just about any issue.
Alpha Anywhere is a more robust, complete and lower cost solution for rapid desktop, web and mobile application cross platform development.
Return on Investment
- Alpha is our sole Development Platform. It has enabled us to contract for some pretty large jobs. AND, we are regularly told, by our customers, that our programs have helped them improve their organizations, workflows and profits.
Inspection Solutions is a mobile business app designed for inspectors who need to inspect construction vehicles in the field, but showcases functionality relevant to many other field apps. The app includes the critical features now required in modern field services apps, such as offline capability, bar code scanning, voice annotation and digital ink. It is a native-quality hybrid app created using the Alpha Anywhere V4 rapid mobile application development and deployment platform.See All (6) Alpha Anywhere Screenshots
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
Alpha Anywhere Editions & Modules
Alpha Anywhere Business
Alpha Anywhere Business Pro
Alpha Anywhere Enterprise
Call Us +1 781.850.46002
Alpha TransForm (no-code component)
2. Volume Discounts
Additional Pricing DetailsQuestions? Call us: +1 781.229.4500
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
Mendix Editions & Modules
1. per month (billed annually)
2. per month (billed annually)