Likelihood to Recommend
We create the resource stack with AWS CloudFormation. We can manage all the resources as a bundle. We can update the entire stack by updating the AWS CloudFormation template. It is very easy to delete the entire resource with AWS CloudFormation. If we do those resource creations and manage them manually, then we need to do lots of manual involvements. When we use AWS CloudFormation, we can reduce time to create and manage resources.
SAP PowerDesigner allows our team of data modelers to work and collaborate from a single repository and single data dictionary. This helps enforce consistency as data elements are referenced in other objects. Prior to our use of PD, we might have an element named "ppt" in one table, "participant" in another table and "part" in a third table. By forcing everything to be used from the data dictionary, we avoid these situations because everyone has to go to the dictionary. And we are able to easily do peer reviews on models before they are released because we are collaborating through the use of the repository.
- Infrastructure Provisioning
- Stack Visibility
- Auto Rollback
- Console for History and Tracking
- Better Integration with AWS Services
- Impact Analysis
- The domain structure helps you to handle different data types to unify.
- Moving between from conceptual model to logical model and from logical model to physical model is so easy.
- It also excels at implementation of database vendor-specific physical options.
- The repository structure helps you to use in multi developer and architect based organizations by the check in and check out mechanism.
- It also has a fully configurable naming convention implementation.
- Coloring is simple with format copying and pasting option.
- Better examples
- There are oddities with the yaml aspects of it, that make it a bit cumbersome
- A template for use cases that are easily fillable - or just some place to start.
Employee in Information TechnologyInformation Technology & Services Company, 1001-5000 employees
- It took some time to figure out how to leverage the power of the repository. Some better examples in the documentation would have been helpful.
No answers yet
No answers on this topic
SAP PowerDesigner 10.0
Based on 2 answers
We did have to reach out to support to learn how to properly utilize the repository feature and share the data model across many developers. Support was able to help us get this set up correctly. The downside was it took us several weeks before we gave up and contacted support. We should have done that earlier. I would say, however, the documentation wasn't clear on how to do this. So support was a great big help!
AWS CloudFormation has more features and robustness. It is suited for professional projects since it provides stability and a wide variety of options for configurations. These include not only dividing stacks by specific code changes, but also in regions. This allows more granularity and control over all stacks. If you want to delete them all just by a region, you can do it.
Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler : Unfortunately this tool only supports Oracle Databases as a target database, but has many features similar to SAP Sybase PowerDesigner.erwin Data Modeler: Has some issues when switching from Conceptual Model to Physical Model, Impact Analysis, and formatting copy and pasting.Vertabelo: Only supports online models and from a governance perspective, it is impossible for me to connect my target database with an online application because of company policy and regulation requirements.
Return on Investment
- Reduced AWS resource creation time
- Reduced existing AWS resource management time
- Reduced manual involvements on AWS resource creation
- Better AWS CloudFormation improve the log mechanism
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
AWS CloudFormation Editions & Modules
|Free Tier - 1,000 Handler Operations per Month per Account||$0.00|
- per handler operation
Additional Pricing DetailsThere is no additional charge for using AWS CloudFormation with resource providers in the following namespaces: AWS::*, Alexa::*, and Custom::*. In this case you pay for AWS resources (such as Amazon EC2 instances, Elastic Load Balancing load balancers, etc.) created using AWS CloudFormation as if you created them manually. You only pay for what you use, as you use it; there are no minimum fees and no required upfront commitments. When you use resource providers with AWS CloudFormation outside the namespaces mentioned above, you incur charges per handler operation. Handler operations are create, update, delete, read, or list actions on a resource.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
SAP PowerDesigner Editions & Modules