Likelihood to Recommend
ProjectWise is good for really large projects with many team members. I would not recommend it for small projects or those with a small team of people working on them. It is best for technical people and those who plan to use it daily. There are better FTP options out there if you just want to use them for file sharing.
Read full review
Newforma is a great tool to collaborate with large teams and between firms. It allows for great documentation of transfers, activities, and other procedural aspects of projects that require collaboration between disciplines, for example, MEP, electrical, architectural and technology. For internal use, Newforma has been great for communications tracking and archival, as well as for record-keeping of all the users in a team or number of teams. Many great options are features are unused due to a lack of training or exposure to them, for example, the graphical viewers that can preview CAD, Revit, and other formats, or the markup tool available with the desktop client.
Read full review Pros It works for collaboration The backend is customisable to do work that other document management systems just cannot do. Read full review Newforma sits on top of our previous filing system (Windows Explorer). This was very important to us because we didn't have to change the project numbering system in order to fit Newforma's design. Also, if we were to decide we didn't like it, we could easily revert back to our previous methods. Newforma does a great job of indexing information, making searches much easier by being able to use keywords instead of knowing the exact file location. No more traversing through countless folders before finding what you need. Newforma keeps a read receipt for everything that you submit through it for issue tracking, and keeps an easy to read record of your workflow. Read full review Cons many users cannot be in the same file at the same time files are not automatically freed upon closure copying files to another ProjectWise folder is complicated. There is an option to copy, another to copy to, etc. Read full review I have found it difficult to locate audits. Some users have issues while uploading project data. Read full review Support Rating
While I have never asked for support myself, a Newforma representative has been in the office annually to give training seminars and info sessions on how to fully use the product. I find this essential to keep the product relevant and make sure everyone knows its full capabilities and an important part of customer support.
Read full review Alternatives Considered
Bentley ProjectWise from a user perspective just does not stack up to even something as simple as
. ProjectWise is powerful, it is capable, it has a ton of features. The best implementation I have seen from Projectwise is where the admins unlocked everything and let the users do as they please defeating everything it stood for and using it as a big
account, though even then the user interface couldn't be improved still causing significant workflow delays. I would reluctantly leave a good company if they implement ProjectWise, I respect that it's powerful for system admins but it sucks for users. This means 2-10% of what it is used for is well designed while the other 98-90% of its functions are just bogged down by a lack of development in its user interface and I say this as someone who has periodically used it over the last 10 years and seen no effective improvement in usability. Bentley ProjectWise was one of the first I believe to do this type of system, but as is common with being the first is you don't keep up with the times and bring a lot of baggage with you.
Read full review
A good competitor against other similar solutions and support is excellent.
Read full review Return on Investment It has saved us time in archiving and versioning documents It has saved us effort in backing up files and restoring them when mistakes are made It has had an overall positive impact on our bottom line by helping with file sharing and collaboration Read full review Newforma makes it easy to transfer, share, archive, and search extensive data sets in a single GUI For it to be effective, all users in a team must receive a basic training and use it consistently Adoption in the industry is good (A/E); many teams use it consistently. Learning to use it once produces time-saving in subsequent projects Read full review ScreenShots