Skip to main content
Dropbox

Dropbox

What is Dropbox?

Dropbox is a cloud storage solution, equipped with features that help users to save time, improve productivity, and collaborate with others. Users can edit PDFs, share videos, sign documents, and collaborate with stakeholders without leaving Dropbox.

A classic tool

A good product

Works for our company

• Reliability (757)
  • File organization (757)
  • Performance (753)
  • File search (778)

3 videos

Dropbox has the Flexibility to Serve a Variety of Needs Across Platforms
04:00
A User Review: Years Later, Dropbox Still Makes Life Easier
03:43
Dropbox Business Review: Allows Design Business To Complete Quick & Simple File Sharing
03:22

Dropbox - Overview

Navattic

Features

File Sharing & Management

Features that allow collaborators to view, work on, and organize files.

Avg 8.5

Cloud Storage Security & Administration

Features related to security and administration for cloud storage platforms

Avg 8.7

Cloud Storage Platform

Features around the functionality of the cloud storage platform.

Avg 8.6

What is Dropbox?

Dropbox is a cloud storage system that helps users to work efficiently with teammates and clients, stay in sync on projects, and keep company data safe. It features:

• Simplified organization
• Anytime access: It provides anytime access to files and photos on desktop, mobile, or web.
• Sharing: Dropbox allows users to share files of any size with just a link.
• Security: Advanced data protection and end-to-end encryption safeguards that protects data helps users to meet compliance and privacy standards.

Dropbox Screenshots

Screenshot of the action bar, that sits across the browser page can be used to record the screen, edit PDFs, upload files, create folders, get signatures, or send and track documents.Screenshot of Dropbox Replay, that lets collaborators leave frame-accurate feedback and markups directly on project files.Screenshot of Dropbox Capture, which can be used to take screen recordings, screenshots, and GIFs with one click and share them with a link.Screenshot of the interface where Dropbox lets users upload, edit, send, and sign PDFs in one place.

Dropbox Video

Dropbox is one of the of the most popular cloud storage options and is popular with businesses of all sizes across many different industries. We have aggregated some of the 400+ Dropbox reviews on TrustRadius and determined what the software’s most popular features are, and w...

Dropbox Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based

Box, ShareFile, and Doxo are common alternatives for Dropbox.

Reviewers rate Reliability highest, with a score of 8.2.

The most common users of Dropbox are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

Attribute Ratings

A classic tool

Incentivized
I've been using Dropbox for years, for video media storage and bulk downloading of large file sizes. While downloading large amount of media usually fails when downloading from a file sharing browswer, the Dropbox Desktop sync app is fail-proof and is something I can let do its thing without checking.
  • Downloading large files
  • Downloading many files
  • Storage
  • Bugs, such as the right click options dissapearing for no reason
  • Selective sync forgets what was selected and adds extra folders
  • It takes a long time to start when opening
It is well suited for people or teams who have a lot of media to share and download large or vast amount of data.

It is not suited for people with less media to share, where something like Google Drive would suffice. It all depends on how you use it and what you are looking for.
Incentivized
We use Dropbox as the primary content management system for our department. Dropbox allows us to store and organize large files, and share them with others in our department and other departments in our organization. We also use the commenting feature when sharing documents with others for review and edits.
  • Dropbox allows me to preview and comment on documents like PDFs, images, and Word documents.
  • Dropbox can accommodate large file uploads at quick speeds.
  • Dropbox will generate shareable links for documents, and automatically update the links if the file is moved.
  • I would prefer it if the Starred section wasn't a tab. I'd like the Starred section to replace the Suggested From Your Activity section at the top, so I can easily see and access my Starred folders.
  • The drag-and-drop feature to move files doesn't work well. Sometimes, I can't get Dropbox to move the file to the correct folder. Sometimes, I can't even use the drag-and-drop feature.
  • I would prefer it if when I click on a folder, it takes me to the folder rather than selecting it with the checkmark.
Dropbox is well-suited for sharing and commenting on documents like PDFs and Word documents. It works well for storing large amounts of files as well. However, Dropbox doesn't allow users to preview InDesign files. I have also noticed that Dropbox has issues generating links sometimes, but I believe that's on the Desktop version specifically.

Incentivized
PWRJOULE uses Dropbox as a main place to securely share files. Our startup team knows to deposit files in Dropbox to share rather than attach to emails that might go to the wrong person.

Dropbox has well organized interface to create and store files. To date Dropbox is supporting 10 team members.
  • Interface
  • storing data
  • showing files after uploading
  • Cost
  • More user accounts should get breaks on rates
  • Personal accounts and company accounts get confused
We had two instances were team members had prior personal Dropbox became intertwined with company accounts. One instance were I accidentally cleaned up files that were associated with personal data. I asked Dropbox to retrieve the data. After months of assurance that they could retrieve the data, they were unsuccessful to retrieve the data.
Incentivized
I use DropBox to share large files of audios and videos for my production projects. I am a freelance filmmaker and Dropbox allows the videos to stay in high quality and easy to share with others. I have dealt with any issues so far.
  • Allow collaboration of multiple people to import files.
  • Can import high quality videos and photos
  • It includes passwords or permission to allow others to view files for protection purposes.
  • One issue is when the preview of the video will sometimes play at the same time when watching it in full screen, where the two videos overlap each other.
  • Faster import time when inserting multiple files
  • It will be easier and faster to have a section to delete files under the folder tab
Dropbox has been greatly suited for sharing video files when working on our final thesis of a short film. It is easier to share files to multiple colleagues while also keeping the resolution the same. It also allows us to use the source to store our footage for safekeeping and to have it accessible to all.
Incentivized
We use Dropbox at my Marketing Agency to share and upload photos and videos for our clients! This allows us to better organize our content and makes it easy to have it all in one place when on-boarding new businesses and employees!
  • Organization between folders
  • Sharing made easy to those who do not have Dropbox
  • Efficiency
  • Less lag when opening a photo or video
  • Easier ways to share to other applications
  • Better editing features
  • Copy + paste for preset filters
Dropbox is a great organization and storage tool for our small business! It allows us to seamlessly share content with other clients and employees and it helps us free up needed space on our computers. Dropbox is well suited for our marketing agency because with our Photography and Videography offers.

A good product

Incentivized
We use mainly for large files sharing (between us and with clients) and use a lot of Dropbox Paper too (to organize ideas, new features and to-do's). Since at my company the main use of data is from databases from cases of our software, these are the main uses. One use that people often use (but not me particularly), is the option to synchronize the data from the Dropbox, so the internal hard drive is not used and the computer keeps with low hard drive use and consequently more fast
  • Dropbox request files
  • Dropbox paper!
  • Keeps the deleted files in the "recycle bin" and shows the name of the person who deleted it
  • Dropbox app (I think its confuse the part of synchronization)
Dropbox is well suited for files sharing (I think it might be interesting to sharing just a download link direct instead of sharing a folder/file directly in Dropbox) and for organize ideas. My company has the Dropbox Advanced plan, but these two are my main uses and I cannot talk about the others features. These that I used is well suited for me.
Incentivized
We use Dropbox as a means for documentation sharing and storage.
  • Search documentation
  • Easy documentation previewing
  • Easy to share individual folders with select persons
  • It would be nice to search key words within a document
It's a great shared location to store, update, and share documents. This has been particularly helpful when email a large file isn't not feasible.

There is no function to lock documents and prevent them from being mistakenly revised or removed from the shared folder.

Incentivized
Creative assets live in shared Dropboxes which allow us to all have access to assets. We also use the feature that allows users to see what folders exist, but not have access to them if they contain sensitive information. This allows us to not have to ask each other for assets, but know where these assets live and "dig through" when needed.
  • Organized folders
  • Sub folders
  • High image resolution
  • Layout options
  • preview photos
  • link to documents
Dropbox is well suited for images as opposed to text, documents, to do lists, etc. it's not super collaborative for word docs, but it's amazing to organize images, pngs, zip files, etc. Upload times are clear, and mass uploads are much easier than other applications. A lot easier to locate files then Google Drive
Farrah-Marie Gomes | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
We are an institution of higher education. We use Dropbox to help us protect the most sensitive and regulated data that we work with. This helps us maintain compliance with federal regulations like FERPA. It also assists us with compliance relating to medical and mental health records as governed by HIPAA regulations. One of the greatest benefits of Dropbox is multiple users having simultaneous access so that we're not having to worry about working off of outdated files.
  • Organization of folders
  • Team sharing
  • Reminders about storage space
  • Tutorials for new users
  • Moving of files
We are an office where some employees are working remotely on any given day of the week. Using Dropbox allows us to securely safe files outside of our network server so that staff are not only limited to working on certain files on the days that they are working on campus.
Incentivized
Dropbox is a wonderful tool for files sharing and collaboration. I use it as both the executive Director of a nonprofit and the children’s pastor at a church with a staff of 75 volunteers. I often will travel and do speaking engagements where Dropbox is an invaluable tool. I truly can’t imagine not having access to Dropbox. It is a lifesaver!
  • Files sharing for a team.
  • Ease of use.
  • Multiple devices synced up
  • Live updating and documents across multiple devices.
Sharing files when traveling. There are so many examples I could give about traveling to cities doing special events where I have utilized Dropbox. I especially appreciate that you can play the files through the web browser instead of having to download them. I think my favorite way of accessing the files is on my phone though.
Renato Lizardo | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
I use it for work and I am the admin of the Dropbox. We use it to store files, send files, and work with files with our editors that are working remotely.

The problems that I think could be worked on would be, when sharing a copy of the files, it should go to another tab so you don't lose track of the files you're sending out especially if you're sending out multiple files from the same folder.

Also, on replay, you should be able to comment on the video without losing your place on the transcript.
  • File sharing
  • Organizations
  • Dates
  • Search bar is awesome
  • Middle click to open a new tab! There was one before, then it was gone :(
  • When sending copies of files in a folder, it should go to a different tab, not use the same tab so you don't lose track
  • PowerRename multiple files!
It's well suited especially for companies with people working remotely so it's kinda like your company's online server. Although mobile app isn't good on android an on apple. I wish the app could be better!

It's less appropriate for people who just use it to store files, I mean it's okay, but Dropbox is for big big file storage which I enjoy.

Dropbox rocks!

Incentivized
- We use Dropbox to store most of our active projects, since we work off the cloud, and it's also the platform we use for file sharing.
- The business problems it addresses for us are mainly: a lack of a fast and secure active storage platform. Before services like Dropbox, we'd have to share files through the usage of hard drives and the transportation of the sames. Using Dropbox minimizes the steps and time required to share files.
  • Ease of uploading, and downloading of files, thanks to the "syncing" feature.
  • Management of space taken in your device (you can select which files to sync or un-sync)
  • Secure file sharing: you have control over who sees, edits, and downloads files when sharing.
  • sometimes the desktop app glitches a bit, but it's nothing too troublesome
  • perhaps there could be a feature where you can send the "path" of a file (showing the folders in which a file is contained), in the same way that you can share a link for a specific file, if that makes sense
  • Sometimes the Dropbox icons you're supposed to see in apple's finder are not there, so it's hard to see which files are synced and which aren't. But maybe my device is the issue
We've tried using other similar services, but honestly Dropbox is just a lot easier to use. The user experience is intuitive.
Maybe it is because a lot of people we work with use it as well that it makes it easy to use?
But overall I do prefer Dropbox so far, to the other services.
It also seems faster in general. it's just easy to find a solution to what you're looking to accomplish when it comes to file sharing and storage.
Incentivized
Dropbox is used in order to organize files both personally and for equal access to files that need to be shared between myself and others. It also allows for the transfer and storage of larger files that would otherwise be sent and take up valuable storage on my personal device. Drobox allows for minimal need to repeat shares and instead a local group file can be updated accordingly.
  • Easy upload for multiple users to share files in one location
  • Large files are stored without using limited personal device data
  • Files can be updated and the updates are accessible by all parties
  • Easy to organize and create subfiles for a large organization or project
  • allows access to specific people for different files.
  • The newer updates make it hard to locate files once we have a lot of projects
  • Sharing the link is not always effective and does not always share
  • constantly logged out on my current device even when I use it daily
Very suited for people who are conducting business in different countries or remote locations. It allows a common business area to access files and update files with all relevant people able to see them. It also allows for larger file transfers to exist in one place and there is no need to send them over other services or store them on personal devices.
Incentivized
We use Dropbox for all files related to our practice. This is for information regarding treatments, research documents, best practices, and team meetings. We share folders for onboarding with new hires as well as other training materials related to our work.
  • Shares files well
  • Keeps things organized
  • Pretty easy to use
  • Sometimes I feel confused about how to save things to Dropbox
  • I feel like using it on my phone and switching to a computer isn't easy or intuitive
It's well suited when you have an organization in which people aren't always communicating on a daily basis due to scheduling. We are a mental health clinic that has several providers with varying schedules, so it's nice to be able to share information outside of our bimonthly meetings.

Right Product

Incentivized
We have been using Dropbox for 9 years and above, it is the safest way to save information and it also allows us to work on the same document as a team. We don’t have to worry about losing the information.
I would add that, Dropbox needs to improve on the syncing of video and photos it takes a long time to upload pictures and videos.
Some times it’s hard to do a search bar as Dropbox is so specific and only show’s answers to the specific way someone saved the document, now with multiple staff coming to use Dropbox it makes it harder
  • Makes it easier to for a team to work on one document
  • We are able to edit and save the document
  • Gives tons of storage space
  • Easily shareable
  • For ngo users it is a little bit expensive especially NGOs in the developing countries. Dropbox can improve by revising their prices do that many NGOs can access and be sure they will never lose their information.
The best part is you can access Dropbox even when you are offline.
Shivani Sharma | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
I am a PhD student and extensively use Dropbox to collaborate with my colleagues on my research projects. Dropbox helps keep all the documents at a single place and asynchronously work on these documents. Everyone can track the progress of the project and contribute at the same time.
  • Integrating text editing and other applications
  • asynchronous work
  • sharing/accessing documents with different permissions
  • Dropbox paper version isn't the most intuitive compared to other text editing tools
  • a lot of application, specially with pdf are still not available
  • logging out randomly and app crashes
Dropbox is well suited for projects that demand a lot of storage capacity. Other tools pose storage limitation and this is well handled in Dropbox. Dropbox is competitively priced in terms of storage allowances that are available Integrating documents that need more complicated tools are mostly not compatible in Dropbox. This is true of a lot of visualization tools or scripts. Applications either need to be manually integrated or Dropbox is not well suited.
Incentivized
We adopted Dropbox Business a few years ago and we've not looked back. The improvements made to the interface and admin tools over the years have been solid and the price is truly value for money given the amount of storage we are afforded.
  • Storage Size
  • Uploading Process is easy
  • Admin model has improved
  • Administration of permissions for users and non-users
  • Often difficult to understand where the files are being saved and why when it comes to live data and backup data
  • Would appreciate more insight into user activity
Being able to operate our "network drive" in the cloud has been a game changer since Covid we went almost fully remote. It negates the need for file storage in a physical environment which saves on expense, time and effort.
Incentivized
As we are a remote company, Dropbox is critical to our success. Dropbox allow all employees to have their own folder to keep their files organized as well as company share folders that the whole organization can access. We also use Dropbox for business with our external partners so they can have controlled access to the information we need to share with them. We could not function as successfully as we do without using Dropbox for Business.

• Organizes folders into personal and business folders.
  • Allows for easy files sharing inside and outside our organization
  • Easy to use interface both on deskop and the app.
  • We'd like to see additional offerings for 3rd party backups - i.e. cold storage
We work with outside artists, agencies, and sales representatives. Dropbox works very well at setting of folders for these different groups of external partners to access.

Dropbox Experience

Incentivized
We use Dropbox on our daily basis at our work and it's really convenient to use and access the data on our regular basis. on day to day job, i need to get the copies of documents from Dropbox and start our work. I don't really think, there is any problem with the Dropbox.
  • Storing the documents
  • Locking the folders and giving the access to only required person
  • Sharing the documents and folders with team members
  • Accessing the PDF editting thing within the Dropbox
  • Now with the new updates, I think opening documents is different and difficult to open
  • Move options should be more convenient for transfering the data
I don't really have any experience where Dropbox did not work well but i can just share one thing, while opening documents it introduced another step which is sometimes taking time to open the documents and then if you want to edit that pdf, it has to link first with the pdf editor app and then do it.

Review

Jessica Zelenka, Esq. | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
We use Dropbox for our legal files in our law firm. Dropbox is great for storing files and sharing within your firm. We currently have all of our legal files stored on there and another platform. Dropbox has been great for drafts and collaborations. It can be difficult to use at times when searching for a specific file.
  • easy to organize
  • easy to share with organization members
  • editing documents on Dropbox directly
  • searching for files
  • slow when trying to upload multiple files
  • difficult to download files at times
Dropbox has been well suited for remote workers such as my firm. Since we don't have physical files and are located in different areas, it is nice having Dropbox as a place to store everything. Also makes it easy for remote workers to access Dropbox instead of having to be connected to a certain network at all times.

Dropbox review

Incentivized
The product addresses cloud storage issues, especially with large files such as audio and documents. Furthermore, Dropbox allows us to better share our documents with each other. Personally, Dropbox helps me to upload files to other services that use the Dropbox upload feature. Then, I have a method of storing and sharing my documents in the same place.
  • Easy upload
  • Large file management
  • Good organization
  • Good interface
  • The interface is messy, particularly the section that says “recent”
  • Interface times out
  • Logging into Dropbox is buggy from other platforms
- Large files
- Large folders

Easy to use

Jami Saladin | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
I use Dropbox to collaborate on documents with my colleagues. We save drafts and are able to organize our projects efficiently. The problems Dropbox addresses is remote work. Even though we all are in different locations, Dropbox makes it easy to collaborate. We work on different grant projects which require large reports, data summaries and tables to be saved .
  • Organized folders
  • Collaboration
  • Word processing
  • Loading and saving documents
  • Constantly changing interface
Dropbox is well suited for collaborating on documents and is less appropriate for quickly writing documents
Incentivized
We use Dropbox to share and view important documents and files. It allows us to share files safely and securely outside of our organization.

What I love about Dropbox is that the app is available on all platforms (iOS, Linux, Mac, Windows). Also, and more importantly, it is stable and does not crash.

• Share Files
  • Works (stable app)
  • Work on all platforms
  • ability easily share files with restrictions
In my opinion, Dropbox is the best file storage/sharing app in the market
Incentivized
I use Dropbox to store, organize, and update client related information and firm documents. Dropbox allows us to securely store and share files with colleagues and clients and to track the accessibility and edits made to folders and individual files. I use Dropbox daily.
  • Securely stores files with or without sensitive data
  • Easily allows the sharing and updating of files and folders to members and non-members of the team
  • Easily allows the editing of PDFs
  • Sometimes, sharing the link, via email, for a file or folder with an individual does not grant that person access, and either the individual has to request access or we have add the individual's email address to the shared file or folder. I'd like to be able to skip those steps.
  • The PDF editing feature sometimes crashes and doesn't save the progress made. I'd like that resolved.
It is well suited for long-term, secure data storage and organization. The team feature is fantastic, and ensures that everyone has transparency on the filing system set in place.

Travis Warren | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
We are a content company and we use Dropbox for long term archiving as well as sharing assets and files between teams. We love Dropbox Replay because we make music and video content, so it makes our review process really easy! Sharing files is great and we love using it.
  • File Sharing
  • Reviews and Feedback on Videos
  • Listening To Audio Files on the Mobile App
  • Dropbox Paper, we don't use
  • The desktop app if hard to use and doesn't always work
  • We have a hard time with the desktop app
  • We work with large files and sometimes Dropbox doesn't work
Dropbox is great for sharing assets and files within a small team. It's great for documents and keeping public files organized. It's not great for video editors or freelancers who aren't onsite because our files are too big to use on Dropbox. Internet connection can't handle the terabytes.