Solid Cloud Storage Solution

Dropbox has the Flexibility to Serve a Variety of Needs Across Platforms
04:00
A User Review: Years Later, Dropbox Still Makes Life Easier
03:43
User Review: Dropbox Business Allows Design Business To Complete Quick & Simple File Sharing
03:22

Plus

per month

Family

per month

Basic

Free

Product Demos

Dropbox Pros and Cons, What do Reviewers Think?
05:05

File Sharing & Management

Cloud Storage Security & Administration

Cloud Storage Platform

What is Dropbox?

Dropbox is a service for file syncing and sharing, or for cloud storage.

Dropbox Video

Dropbox is one of the of the most popular cloud storage options and is popular with businesses of all sizes across many different industries. We have aggregated some of the 400+ Dropbox reviews on TrustRadius and determined what the software’s most popular features are, and w...

Dropbox Integrations

Dropbox Competitors

Dropbox Technical Details

Dropbox is a service for file syncing and sharing, or for cloud storage.

Box, Citrix ShareFile, and Doxo are common alternatives for Dropbox.

Reviewers rate Reliability highest, with a score of 7.9.

The most common users of Dropbox are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees) and the Computer Software industry.

Dropbox - the Hollywood Video of cloud storage. I have clients I work with who use Dropbox. On occasion, I am forced to use this outdated bit of, in my opinion, garbage. Once again, in my opinion, I will be trying to convince yet another client to use something other than this slow, archaic product run by people who don't care about their clients.
  • Nothing
  • Nada
  • Zip - Zero
  • Take up space on your HD
  • UIUX
  • Storage functionality for download an upload
  • Speed of download and uploads
In my experience, upload speeds are horrible - download speeds are terrible and it eats up massive storage on your computer.
May 05, 2022

Check Around

Brian Zinner, MBA, CPA | TrustRadius Reviewer
I was using Dropbox to organize client files for easy access. The company seems to not offer small business plans for single owners like myself. I was a little upset when I noticed a charge of almost $500 for 3 or 4 licenses when I am the owner and sole employee. A few calls to customer service seemed to be a waste of my time. They would not refund the prepaid subscription once I realized they had me on automatic billing. For much less than $500, I feel that I can find another solution that would help organize client files, keep track of due dates, and help with work flow. Before purchasing Dropbox because of its well-known name, consider other services that may let you subscribe on a monthly basis and give you better customer support and more tools that would help your practice. I am not convinced the management of Dropbox is in business for anything more than high profits. I wonder about the feasibility of their corporate mission.
  • Organize files
  • Allow files to be synced across multiple computers
  • Customer support
  • Flexibility
  • Innovation
It is okay for organizing and categorizing files. There are not a lot of extra "tools" besides cloud storage.
Cara Jacobsen | TrustRadius Reviewer
My company and department utilized DropBox during training and consulting sessions to as a recording sharing platform for our clients. We provide clinical based mental health and behavioral health trainings to community providers and have them record their sessions with their clients in the community to improve their skills. Then, we listen to their recordings through Dropbox to verify their progress.
  • HIPPA
  • File Storage
  • File Sharing
  • Versatility
  • Number of clicks
  • integration
We needed a quick tool to obtain confidential healthcare recordings from outside agencies so we could monitor their progress with clients. Having individuals upload recordings to Dropbox and share with us was very simple and secure. We could easily access the recordings and knew we were following safety guidelines to protect information.
I've tried some of the other options, and they're not as excellent. The fact that nearly no other choice supported Linux natively, which I use on a regular basis, was a deal killer for me. OneDrive includes all Office software with the subscription, thus it is far less expensive. But I didn't like the UI there, and I didn't want Microsoft handling and keeping all of our stuff. MEGA is fantastic, and I continue to use it, but I wasn't sure if it was stable enough for corporate use.
  • Storage is good.
  • File organization.
  • Customer support.
  • The automatic file backup option is one of the most crucial services Dropbox offers in my opinion.
  • It has always provided dependable cloud storage and has saved us twice following hardware failures. So it's well worth the money.
  • Extremely handy for cooperating with photographers, transferring files across devices, and so on.
Here are a few examples of when Dropbox came in handy: A team member erased the incorrect file; we could simply restore it. My laptop died at 10 a.m., but owing to the backup, I was back working on a 200 GB project by 12 p.m. When an updated file became corrupted, we could quickly restore an older, functional version using version history. It's simple to choose which papers to keep locally and which are only available online, and it works flawlessly with our Windows PCs. Document, photo, and video synchronization occur naturally, so we don't need to worry about how Dropbox facilitates this process.
Dropbox provides the ability to easily store, retrieve, and share information. We use it on a daily basis and are pleased with this SaaS offering. Many applications like Microsoft Office 365 directly integrate with Dropbox making it a convenient storage option for my team. Even so, there are many other cloud storage options available, Dropbox remains to be our preferred option.
  • Cloud storage and retrieval of all file types
  • Sharing of files via a URL link
  • Ability to store files locally in a Dropbox folder and synchronize with the cloud when connected to the Internet
  • The Dropbox Online Cloud user interface has gotten much better over the years although we mostly access our files via our Dropbox file folder on our desktops.
  • We continue to store images in Apple Photos (and sync to iCloud) but might switch over to Dropbox someday.
  • Dropbox syncs the local Dropbox folder with the cloud every time you reboot your desktop or laptop. If you have lots of files in your local folder (because you are syncing everything), the time it takes to complete this can take minutes and may clog up the memory of your desktop or laptop.
Instead of storing any of your files in a local desktop or laptop location, we love the fact that every file gets centrally stored in the cloud and can be shared with other users immediately. We don't have any experience sharing lots of photos/images and aren't sure if that's the way to go.
December 18, 2021

On Storage Cloud Nine

Kyle Cocomise | TrustRadius Reviewer
Dropbox is used for cloud storage where we primarily use it for access to photos. It's great for storing and sharing photos among our team as we use photos of completed projects to post on our website and share with other potential customers.
  • Safe Cloud Storage
  • Ability to Access Cloud on Multiple Devices
  • Ability to Store and Share Large Files
  • Search functionality could be better
  • Sometimes photos don't always sync right away
  • Organization could be better
It [Dropbox] is great for sharing large amounts of data and files within the company. It is also great for storing and sharing high-quality photos that require significant space.
November 30, 2021

Reliable product

Dropbox works with each PC and a smartphone. The utility is notably smooth to use. Meeting connections make it smooth to enroll in meetings. Chat, display screen sharing, file sharing, and whiteboarding are most of the functions. I can not consider any apparent hazards to using the tool. The uncertainty [around] information safety claims frustrate me the most.
  • External share
  • Larger file share
  • seamless communication
  • Team Admin not needing license
  • Photos need to sync faster
  • share permission need to be more user friendly .
Dropbox is used in a variety of ways at our workplace. Sharing documents with our team on the go is made possible by Dropbox. Once a file is uploaded to Dropbox, team members can view and discuss it immediately. Some of the new features make it easier for us to keep things organized and maintain continuity during our meetings. We will store large files on it and send them to clients or suppliers via a link. A sales campaign's data is also stored in Dropbox. For example, it enables our marketing team to work on various sales campaigns from any location.
Muhammad Hossain | TrustRadius Reviewer
In our company, Dropbox is the most widely used method for file sharing and data management. Because of the limitations on file-sharing sizes on Google Suite, Dropbox is a good alternative. It gives us the ability to safely store our documents and quickly and efficiently retrieve them as needed. What I like best about Dropbox are its reliability and simplicity. I haven't missed a day of using my Dropbox account in years. Dropbox makes it simple to share documents with colleagues in real-time. It makes file sharing as simple as moving files from one folder to the next. Dropbox is far more user-friendly than other similar software when it comes to collaboration. We can also share files with just a single click. Drag-and-drop functionality is available for uploading files to cloud storage.
  • We are transferring large files and multiple files with various internal and external parties due to the ease of sharing files and folders.
  • Smart sync, so you don't have to worry about device space and search large file batches quickly.
  • Synchronizing a data file across organizations without the user having to do anything other than work is a significant benefit of cloud computing.
  • Allowing only the people who need it to have access is a huge perk and works well with other enterprise software.
  • Enhanced security features and installation could be more user-friendly; installing on a desktop could be confusing.
  • More file storage for free users would be great, as would better separation of personal and work files.
  • Customer service could be better, and uploading time could be faster, making it more efficient.
Benoît Desroches | TrustRadius Reviewer
Dropbox was used to share files between different devices I was using such as my MacBook Pro, my iPad and my iPhone. It was also used to make automatic backups of important files that were not too sensitive to be put on another company environment.
  • Simple user interface
  • Seamless integration
  • Easily sync files across various devices
  • Automatic backup of various files
  • Pricing options could be improved
  • The UX and UI of the Web client could be improved
For me Dropbox is the ultimate file sharing out there. It is the most intuitive and easy to use solution. Unless security and confidentiality of information is extremely important, Dropbox is a must have. It is way better than Microsoft OneDrive. You can actually drop a whole folder and its files in Dropbox and it seamlessly sync. It is not the case with similar solution like OneDrive.

However if you can't have confidential information on another company's cloud, it's better to avoid Dropbox or any other similar solution.
Lisa Saunders | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are rapidly moving to another platform after discovering that Dropbox randomly deleted files. This included photos of my children and personal videos that took me hours to create. I 100% did not delete them. There is no one available to respond to my repeated contacts for help either.
  • Nothing comes to mind at this moment because of what they have done.
  • Stop randomly deleting files or at the very least make someone available who can fix your errors.
I wish I could put zero. Do not use them if you care about the security of your data.
Alan Bloxham | TrustRadius Reviewer
Dropbox is a wonderful tool we use for hosting images and pdfs. We also sometimes use it for sharing assets with our clients. We have several clients who primarily use Dropbox for their Asset Management, so we have become very familiar with how it all works.
  • Image and PDF hosting
  • Asset Management
  • Internal assistance tools
  • If you don't know where to go, it's hard to get a image/pdf URL that you can use for hosting
  • Sharing management doesn't seem to be as intuitive
Dropbox is great in general for anything and everything. It's an amazing asset management software. The versatility is great and I think it always gets the job done. If you're looking for just photo storage, then I would likely recommend a different service that is more affordable and better suited for only photos.
September 10, 2021

Dropbox Review

The account is used to save files for access any time any where.
  • Accessibility
  • Structure
  • No Timely Customer Service Feedback
  • [I feel there is] No proper investigation if an account is closed
  • Customer Service [seems] like a BOT. Even though a response is received no real solution is reached.
Dropbox might be used for insignificant data. We lost all our data and still have not received a proper explanation. Rather be careful in using it as your only backup.
Dropbox is used in our organization both for work related document storage and also personal document storage. It allows for the streamlined storage of documents in one place. It ensures that our documents can be stored and accessed securely and also found easily when needed. We are also able to share access with other parties when required
  • Shared Access
  • Documents security
  • Fast uploading of files
  • Installation could be more user friendly sometimes one might get a bit lost when installing on desktop.
  • Increase file storage space for free users would be great if more storage was offered for free users.
  • The uploading time could be faster which will speed up the time when uploading files making it time efficient
We use Dropbox in a few distinctive manners at our organization. Dropbox empowers us to effortlessly impart documents to customers and suppliers. It likewise permits us to store large files enabling us to share with customers and suppliers by a link. We also use Dropbox for certain sales campaigns where our marketing team can collaborate virtually from anywhere on different sales campaigns and store it on Dropbox cloud platform.
Michael Prewitt | TrustRadius Reviewer
The primary uses of Dropbox in our organization were (1) to have a cloud-based repository of all the files for current projects so they could collaborated on by multiple users, or by single users in multiple locations, (2) to have cloud-based backups of those same projects, and (3) to allow easy sharing of large files with people within and outside our organization.
  • It is a fast and reliable cloud file sharing system.
  • It integrates well with macOS, making it easy to share files, control whether files are in the cloud or local, see the current sync status for each file, and more, right from the Finder. It also supports macOS file meta (keywords, color tags, etc.).
  • It's web-based file previews work very well and support a wide selection of file types.
  • It has useful and intuitive annotation / commenting features for files.
  • For large teams or large file sizes, it can become expensive.
  • Annotation features may be too basic for some types of jobs.
For my company, Dropbox was nearly ideal. The main problem was the price. Our IT department could not justify keeping it for all departments, so in the end it was only specific users or departments that were using it. This led to some inconsistencies within the organization, as different people shared cloud files in different ways. However, for my department's needs, Dropbox was essential. It was the only service available to us that was fast enough, reliable enough, and full-featured enough for our needs. It is excellent for both cloud-based project collaboration and cloud-based file sharing.

For single-user setups, Dropbox may be overkill. There are cheaper or even free alternatives that may meet the needs of many users.
Tony Phan | TrustRadius Reviewer
Dropbox is used as a way to share documents, working files between teams regardless of the team physical location. It reduces the need for printing documents, saving energy and effort in sharing and submitting working files for approval. It provides an easy way to track all change history of a file and when you need to view whoever is responsible for the file. Every edit is well-recorded and tracked properly using Dropbox.
  • Create link to share file instantly
  • Grant access and permission to team member / clients to view/edit the file
  • Ability to track change history of the file
  • Syncing sometimes is slow if the file is large
  • Integrate with different messaging app would be nice (Team Chat, Skype)
  • Sometimes if multiple accessing / editing the same Microsoft Office file, it got stuck
Best scenario is to use for tracking project timeline and implementation. Instead of printing out the project charter, it can be submitted through dropbox. Approver can view the file and approve based on the change history recorded. Multiple members in the team can update project status in one file and update on Dropbox giving all teams visibility on the progress and therefore reducing the efforts in communication and reduce wasted time.
Dropbox has been very helpful before and during the work-from-home situation with Covid. It has allowed all of our team members to quickly and easily share files without having to be on the network in the office. Dropbox is easy to organize so it's easy to find everything my colleagues send me and vice versa.
  • I love that I'm able to organize items by folder. It keeps things easy to access.
  • Private access to only specific users is a huge plus
  • I like that I can send an invite to the appropriate team members as opposed to having to send them all the specific link to a file or folder
  • I find that dropbox is a bit slow at times, even when my internet is clocking high speeds just fine
  • There are often errors when uploading. Attempting a second time usually alleviates the issue
  • I sometimes have issues signing in with my google account. It's not a huge deal, I just log in manually but would be nice to log in with one click
Dropbox is definitely appropriate for the current work-from-home situation that most people are in still. It really helps keep our team connected. It's also great for sharing files with 3rd party vendors/individuals. The privacy Dropbox offers allows them only to see what they need to see and nothing else.
David S. Levine, CFRE | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Dropbox as a temporary solution as we evaluate long-term file storage and sharing options. It is also being used as a secondary long-term file storage system while we are working from home and separated from the main file drive. Using Dropbox allows the team to collaborate on and share files without having to sign into a vpn or connect to a remote server, which can often be time consuming and slow due to internet speeds.
  • File storage - space considerations aside, it's easy to use and intuitive for this purpose
  • Collaboration - after adding this functionality a few years ago, Dropbox can now rival Microsoft Sharepoint or Google Docs for realtime collaboration between team members on documents and related files.
  • Ease of use - Dropbox is intuitive and mirrors other file storage systems in terms of folders, sub-folders, and navigation, meaning it is easy to find, store, and share whatever you need.
  • Multiple accounts: many of us have a personal account and a professional account. It could be easier to switch between them either in the Dropbox OS app or within the browser.
  • Security and permissions: I've found it difficult to manage permissions around hidden folders and security hierarchies. It's easy to share something to someone with the same permissions, but I've experienced instances where two people (myself included) have different names for the same folder but can't access each other's files, without explanation for why the permissions are different.
Dropbox is great for collaborative work while in the office but especially while many of us are working from home. The system is easy to navigate and intuitive for anyone familiar with basic computer file systems. It is also useful for keeping separate versions of files (compared to Google, for instance, which allows you to have multiple files with the same name within the same folder for some unknown reason).
Our team uses Dropbox to share files with colleagues located locally or overseas. Sometimes we share files with our customers as well. Dropbox solves the problem of sending files attachments. Another thing we like is that with dropbox, we can use any PC or Laptop to work. All our files are accessible from any machine.
  • Files accessible anywhere, you do not have to carry a backup of your files with you
  • Easy to share files to anyone
  • Easy to work from any PC, log on dropbox and access all your working files
  • Sometimes sharing a large number of files gives an error. It would be nice to have this function optimized.
Dropbox is great for teams and especially for small businesses like us, I would highly recommend it. We use it on a day-to-day basis. Some of our shared resources like price lists and contact lists are all on dropbox and allows us to refer to the same copy so that we don't have multiple copies out of sync around.
Olivia Crellin | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Dropbox for data and file sharing when conducting due diligence ahead of prospective mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures. Further, we often use it to share large file batches with outside advisors as needed. Dropbox is a functional solution for us given file-sharing size limitations on the Google Suite platform. Further, Dropbox has significantly increased its search-ability functionality which allows us to search large volumes of files quickly.
  • Sharing large files and multiple files with various internal and external parties
  • Searching large file batches quickly
  • Allowing external and internal parties to contribute to a data file across organizations
  • Integrates well with other enterprise softwares (Word, Adobe, etc.)
  • File text search functionality needs continued improvement
  • Dropbox file security and fraud prevention needs improvement
  • Dropbox should continue to integrate with email and enterprise software interfaces for ease of use
I would recommend Dropbox over most DMS sharing solutions because of its low cost (free for users under a certain size) and ease of use. I have found many professionals don't have immediate solutions when they run into large file sharing problems or don't have sophisticated experience with a DMS interface and Dropbox is very user-friendly for both groups.
Dropbox is used for clinical specific departments to share non-HIPAA related files. Including treatment methods, research, templates, etc. The department I use Dropbox in contains a little less than 20 people. It serves as an additional 'intranet' for employees to reach each other and share files for their work load.
  • Sync files
  • Quick sharing
  • Indexing
  • Backup
  • SIZE (of program on our servers, of data limit one can upload/download, etc.)
  • Too frequent updates. Several employees just got used to the user interface, then had to upgrade to different version/UI
  • At times complicated UI
Dropbox is well suited for large files that are shared between several employees. It is less appropriate for small files that can be emailed directly to one or two people.
It is an acceptable backup service, where you can save files. However this will also expose the files to anyone who has access to that shared program and folder, creating privacy concerns.
Jeff Huisjen | TrustRadius Reviewer
Dropbox is a great cloud storage system that was utilized within my department for sharing files, collaboration, and large file storage. Because many of us have upgraded to MacBooks and to save money have smaller SSDs, as well as with the need for file sharing ramping up, an online storage system like this is very helpful.
  • Cloud based storage with easy access
  • Simple and easy to share files with other people
  • Easy to customize what files are stored locally or just online
  • Dropbox offers file sharing but lacks in true collaboration in some ways
  • From an organizational standpoint, Dropbox is a bit expensive
  • Because of the customization available, you need to know the program and the web client interface
Dropbox is a great cloud based storage system that is easy to use, readily customizable, and user friendly. For an organization that uses many large files, shares heavily between users, and needs constant access to their cloud based storage, Dropbox is a huge win.

For some organizations using Google Suites as an email client, because each user also includes GoogleDrive, Dropbox may be unnecessary.
Lisa Keyser | TrustRadius Reviewer
Having cloud storage is not just important for sharing files and folders across devices but also for internal and external users without needing to email or send files through another cumbersome, insecure system. Dropbox allows us to organize and share content without fear of losing something or not having access to it from anywhere. We keep everything in Dropbox, from financial records to client account information. When we hire outside contractors, we can choose to share just a single file or folder so they have access to all information from the beginning. It's a great way to get larger files from designers without needing a file transfer service as well.
  • Ease of sharing files and folder both internally and externally
  • Rollback of several versions in case a file is modified by accident or overwritten
  • Trash management for files or folders that are accidentally deleted so they can be recovered painlessly
  • Smart sync so you don't need to worry about how much space is taken up on your device
  • Background syncing that happens without needing to do anything other than work
  • Though this hasn't been our experience, some contractors have had issues with files not syncing properly
  • Initial installation could be a bit more user friendly
  • Not a fan of the newest change that involves opening the Dropbox app instead of the folder by default
Dropbox has replaced typical hard drive storage for us, with all of our digital information stored there. For any company that has digital information, the ease of use and implementation is unmatched by other file storing and sharing services. To share one file, it's as easy as grabbing the share link. You can easily manage shared files and folders and rescind sharing rights at any time, making it possible to keep a tight hold on who has your data.
Dropbox is used by our organization as a cloud based file storage system that can be accessed anywhere we have an internet connection. It is being used across our entire organization, and it addresses the need of our users to be able to access all their files at any time without taking up a lot of space on their local workstations and not have to worry about losing anything if their computer crashes.
  • Cloud Storage
  • Reliability
  • Ease of use
  • Integration with more applications
  • Easier collaboration mechanics
  • Price
Dropbox is well suited for anyone who needs to access their files anywhere and not have to worry about losing data if their computer is lost or damaged. You do not have to be a part of an organization to utilize this software. It is very well suited for personal use as well as business use.
We had some issues with file storage and sharing for very large files, and the workaround recommended by our IT department was to use Dropbox for our team to use to share large files that exceed maximum email attachment limits both internally and with our printer. Currently, it is only being used by our department.
  • User friendliness
  • Stability
  • Ease of setup
  • Enhanced security features
  • Customer service is not very good and difficult to get hold of
  • The help features and FAQ are frustrating to use because they send you round in circles.
I think it's particularly good for individuals or sole proprietors. Our IT department had some concerns about using across our whole organization because they had some questions about security features (not from outside hacking but more along the lines of monitoring appropriate use by our enployees). I was also turned off by the bad customer service; it's hard to find the answers to questions.
I have to store lots of video and audio data and I have to organize it and share it with others as well. [I] update the documents daily.
  • Sharing.
  • Updating [files].
  • Upload by many users.
  • Review and approval.
  • Downloading is not very easy.
  • [If] many people work at same time, then it fails.
  • Sometimes it takes a long time to load.
Dropbox is very good with multiple users outside the organization when we have file transfers to the end-user or clients, like quotes and external documents for review. Some need revisions or multiple versions of the same documents, and multiple users review the documents [so] email is not the ideal solution. Huge files like video and audio and training recordings for multiple sessions.