- A product is worthless in my opinion if you don't have a great support team to work with. I've had issues with replication jobs that were resolved quickly and easily by the support team.
- DR - DoubleTake is the only tool that I'm aware of that can handle DR replication of both physical and virtual environments. There sre others, but they use a snapshot technology, where DoubleTake has continuous replication of data.
- Move - we have moved physical and virtual environments from around the world without ever having to leave the office. One of the companies we migrated started off with their equipment in Switzerland, and after the servers were in a fully protected state in the US, that failover to the new location took 45 min.
- Reporting - Reporting is a very important tool which is required by auditors after performing failover tests. I know they are currently working on this, and we hope to see a working product that we can use shortly.
- The inability of using the latest versions on the older OSs. When we migrate or protect 2003 servers, we have to stay with version 7. It would be nice to be able to use version 8 and well as it's new features.
Any disaster recovery solution can be handled by DoubleTake as well as server migrations. We have performed virtual to virtual, physical to physical, virtual to physical and physical to virtual migrations. There is no other product that can perform a continuous replication process with these different scenarios.
I have yet been able to find a scenario where I found it to be less appropriate.
- Extremely quick failover to DR
- Almost realtime replication depending on clients bandwidth
- Easy to setup, upgrade and maintain
- Cost effective
- More verbose error messages. So we can fix problems with more ease
- More bandwidth settings for throttling.
- Ability to restart services on servers from the double take console
- Allows for easy review and updating during replication processes. The Portal is user-friendly and very accessible with little user training.
- Allows us to know when we have errors in replication and actions needed.
- Their support is very quick and reliable in the event we have questions or issue.
- The initial set-up can be challenging in some regard.
- Would like to see version updates that support all OS. Unfortunately we use several OS and are on an older version with 7 of our 8 servers.
- Will be doing the upgrades to version 8 shortly and hope the software is compatible with all OS.
I really believe once the initial set up is complete, the portal offers an easy and concise way to review actions and progress during the replication process. It is easy to troubleshoot in the event issues occur.
We only use DT as a disaster recovery option currently so do not have an instance or scenario where it might be less appropriate.
- Server environment to virtual machine
- Great tech support
- Pricing to fit the needs of the end-user
- It provides minimum downtime migration (only required for servers cutover)
- It replicates customer data in realtime to the cloud, the agents installation doesn´t require servers reboot
- Great product support
- Mostly available for Windows (although a Linux version has been launched recently)
- Complex Licensing process
- 60 days of license expiration for migrations (we know, customer sometimes takes longer to schedule the migration window
- System Synchronisation
- License management is poor and the online system is very restrictive, We are using a one time "Move" product that has a fixed life ... but sometimes in a small team other high priority tasks come along.
- We lost all access to all licenses in the portal and all support because we hadn't used them in ninety days. Very poor service. We did get access back eventually but it took a lot of "bargaining".
- Failover isn't always as smooth as it could be. VMDKs don't release properly and the move fails and has to be done manually. Not hard just frustrating. VMWare to VMWare.
- It migrates Windows servers well
- It is easy to use
- It has a great RPO
- DoubleTake is more expensive than competing products
- DoubleTake is more manual than competing products
- Being agent-based at source can cause concern for customers migrating hundreds of servers
Migration into Azure/AWS.
Less suitable for large numbers of VMs between hypervisors (as competing products can do this agentlessly).
- Very professional support team, a lot of complex bugs and problems are solved very quickly by the support team.
- Every time a new version is published there are new features.
- Temporary licensing for a POC or for checking [out] some features is very good idea.
- Videos and articles about Carbonite DoubleTake are hard to find.
- There are very few articles and solutions [available] for Carbonite DoubleTake for Linux.
For a lot of customers with windows operation system [older than] 2003, it doesn't work well. The DoubleTake agent crashes and for older versions, there is full support but on the customer side, it does not work well.
DoubleTake Scorecard Summary
DoubleTake® Move™ migrates physical, virtual and cloud workloads over any
distance with minimal risk and near-zero downtime. Using real-time, byte-level
replication technology, DoubleTake Move creates a replica of the data,
application, database or entire server being migrated and keeps it in sync with
the production system. The migrated data can be validated without disrupting
business operations, and downtime is limited to the seconds or minutes required
for cutover to the new server.
Carbonite DoubleTake Availability™ software lets IT organizations maintain the highest availability of their Windows and Linux servers by preventing downtime and data loss. The software does this using a continuous replication mechanism that maintains a secondary copy without taxing the primary system or network bandwidth. With support for physical, virtual or cloud source systems or target environments, the Availability solution is a comprehensive replication option for organizations with mixed IT environments.
DoubleTake Support Options
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
DoubleTake Technical Details
|Deployment Types:||On-premise, SaaS|
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, VMware ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V, Oracle Enterprise Linux, CentOs, SUSE Enterprise Linux, Ubuntu, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Sharepoint, Oracle MySQL|