Overall Satisfaction with Apache Web Server
We use Apache the server to serve all of the clients' websites which require LAMP stack and have been able to deliver medium to complex applications using Apache server. It is used by whole Web Development department and it allows a large number of HTTP requests, configuring access restrictions to certain files efficiently and see a real-time graph of network and hardware resource utilization hence giving us the ability to make informed decisions to optimize throughput and overall performance of the system.
- Apache server is a free and open source multi-platform software which gives ample amount of possibilities and options to use it without worrying about the hardware configurations much; it runs on almost everything!
- It is easy to configure quickly for a new project requires to set up a barebone server to serve any type of HTTP request.
- It allows us to configure https with encryption and configure virtual hosts easily.
- Log files are detailed enough to determine vulnerabilities by providing multiple params which makes it easy to diagnose and debug the root cause of any server issue.
- The default configurations which comes with Apache server needs to get optimized for performance and security with every new installation as these defaults are not recommended to push on the production environment directly.
- Security options and advanced configurations are not easy to set up and require an additional level of expertise.
- Admin frontend GUI could be improved to a great extent to match with other enterprise tools available to serve similar requirements.
- Apache web server helped us in building client applications without much investment in the underlying server configuration which gives us the ability to start on a new project quickly and upgrade its resources as and when needed.
- Using software which is well-supported by a community of open source contributors makes tasks easy and affordable when need help since a couple of minutes on Google saves a couple of dollars every time and you don't need a specialized support person unless there is something significant needing to be changed.
Apache Web Server is the oldest among all of these above-mentioned web server solutions provide a wider range of tools and support available which is of great help when creating a web app because less investment of time and money is what contributes to the success of a project to a great extent. Apache web server's easy availability and wide-spread acceptance with any type of OS (be it Linux, Unix, Windows or Mac) means it can work flawlessly on any machine hence giving an upper hand and makes the selection decision lot easier.
It is the best choice for serving PHP applications due to its wide-spread popularity and huge community support. Very easy to start a new project of any complexity and easy to set up on localhost machines. But provided the fact that Apache is not the fastest and cleanest option available for hosting static content, you can never go wrong with your decision if you are using PHP or Perl language for serving dynamic content to serious business users.