January 25, 2019
Score 7 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with BlueCat Address Manager
It's used as the DHCP and DNS server in a HIGH availability model.
- IP management
- DNS server
- GUI interface could use some touch-ups. For example, saving a configuration is not the easiest thing to do.
- Hypervisor compatibility (currently doesn't support Nutanix AHV).
- Not too many KBs publicly available.
- CONS: Not up to speed with market-leading virtualization technologies such as Nutanix.
- PROS: Reliable solution.
- PROS: The design can be confusing for the folks used to Infoblox as it utilized 1 controller called Bluecat Address Manager and the actual DNS/DHCP servers named BDDS.
For all it's worth, it's a Linux based appliance and does offer a high availability design. It does offer IP address management and can scan your network through ICMP and SNMP. It does support role-based access controls for admins.