Cisco Routers great Performance and Reliability
Dave King | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 11, 2018

Cisco Routers great Performance and Reliability

Overall Satisfaction with Cisco Routers

We use Cisco Routers in all our offices. The routers service all our network traffic for all employees. The routers sit in front of the Firewall in the DMZ. We use the routers for our Voice services and we also use them for our MPLS Data services. We found that the Cisco routers handle Voice traffic very well. We setup Quality of Service on each of the routers to prioritize network traffic to ensure we experience the highest call quality to ensure our Voice traffic takes priority over all the other network traffic. We also have Cisco routers processing our MPLS Data for our inter office connectivity for both voice, data and printing needed.
  • Quality of Service for managing Data priority
  • Mean Time between Failures - We have found Cisco hardware is reliable
  • Fast network performance and availability
  • Device Management
  • Software Updating
  • GUI Interface
  • Longevity - help avoiding replacing bad hardware
  • Reducing several routers into one device
  • Saving on annual maintenance with reduced hardware
Compatibility with other network devices and protocols was very important to our decision in purchasing Cisco Routers. We found Cisco to be compatibility with most all network devices on the market. They have no trouble with our ShoreTel Voice platform which is a very important part of our business. Cisco can manage most all the popular voice protocols and Data routing protocols as needed. We need a router to handle BGP for our MPLS Data network and Cisco has not problem handling that traffic as well.
Cisco Routers can has helped us defend against malware, intrusions, denial-of-service attacks and other advanced threats. We believe in a layered approach in that we do not rely on one single device to protect our network, Cisco fits in well in our multi layers approach to protecting our network and data. we implemented Cisco's VPN to extend our protection to our remote offices.
We rely on Cisco being up and running. We found there hardware to be extremely reliable. We have had several Cisco routers running continuously for over 7 years without one failure. We have had one network switch failure and with Cisco Smart Net maintenance we had the failed hardware replace within hours. Cisco hardware is one of the best in the industry in my opinion.
We have used DLink and Fortinet Routers. I find Cisco superior in management, reliability and overall network performance over the two. I will say Fortinet has not experienced any failures and does provide very similar functionality, I simply find Cisco to be my preferred Router hardware. I further base this on support. When things go wrong and they often can in networking, they Support team is excellent in helping identify and resolve the issue quickly.
We find them well suited for corporate offices, as well as remote office environments. They have proven excellent in managing network traffic between offices, such as MPLS, as well as managing voice traffic to ensure the best call quality is experienced. The hardware is very reliable, and I have found over the years there are very few if any hardware failures. I would say if you are used to GUI management, there could be a small learning curve as Cisco management is generally handled via the command line.