Cisco Routers Review
Updated July 14, 2020
Cisco Routers Review
Score 10 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Cisco Routers
I have implemented Cisco Routers for most of WAN connections and Internet peering sites. Most of the business issues like security and bandwidth issues are very well handled by Cisco Routers. The problems these routers solved were VPN and WAN QOS. Most of our customers use these routers for the whole organisations and across all BU.
- Security. You can run VPN services on these routers along with core function of routing.
- Rate limiting for DDOS or traffic on WAN links can help to prioritise the actual user traffic.
- Routing. This is main feature of these devices and they do it really well.
- GUI Management, as such there is no great GUI built-in. CCP can help but it's more for switches rather than for routers.
- The whole upgrade procedure is pure manual work, great if it could have been single click button for upgrade and downgrade.
- Config rollbacks are still manual, good to see if Cisco can implement config checkpoints.
- Good Support TAC.
- Good device quality and very stable.
- Can last long enough until the device life cycle.
Cisco Routers are well accepted in market and there are enough certified professionals out there to manage and configure these devices. Compatibility is there for most of the devices and it works well with other vendor devices also. Huge factor is Cisco support and product assurance for its usage and periodic software updates.
Yes.The IOS software is also safer and hardened with security in mind. The product design itself is secure thus providing more assurance to end customers.
Cisco Routers do this job pretty well. Device uptime and proper functionality is important part of Cisco Routers, considering the HA in devices and proper configurations, these routers do this job very nicely. The routing protocols and other advance monitoring stuff provided by these devices ensures that the access to data is continuing even in the event of link issues.
Important reason is the certified and qualified engineers to support the Cisco devices compared to other vendors in the market. Cisco Routers are easy to manage over a long time compared to Juniper devices. Cisco SDM tool also helps for small sites to manage these routers. Continuous iOS support is another important factors to keep the devices in good secure state.
Cisco Routers are well suited for mid to large companies. Be it for WAN or SD-WAN or Internet connections. These routers got the functions to handle all these. These routers may be less appropriate if you need ease of management or GUI management only. Routers are good for routing and may not be able to do all functions of firewalls, so should not be used in replacement of FW for these.