You'll never fear doing a restore again!https://www.trustradius.com/data-center-backupCommvaultUnspecified8.2791012017-02-15T18:15:59.621Z
February 15, 2017
You'll never fear doing a restore again!
Score 10 out of 101
Overall Satisfaction with CommVault
We are using CommVault to back up all of our servers and applications, which includes all of our file shares for the University. We are not currently using it to back up end-user devices.
- CommVault has agents for all kinds of platforms that need to be backed up. For example, our ERP environment runs on HP-UX, and CommVault has a media agent for that.
- You can use any storage to back things up via CommVault. We are using a cheap and affordable storage called Drobo.
- Their support team is OUTSTANDING! You know how you dread calling Microsoft for support? You won't dread calling these folks; they are most friendly and helpful
- The price was really high (we were paying per Terabyte), but they have recently restructured their pricing models, so it has likely gotten more affordable.
- UI is Java; would be nice if it was HTML5
- Would we nicer to just have a webpage to log into instead of a Java applet.
- Restores are so quick and easy we've saved a lot of time and money. I don't handle company financial information, so I cannot give specific numbers.
- We've also saved time whenever we've had an issue as CommVault's support team is very knowledgeable and quick when it comes to fixing a problem.
- We saved money when we just needed a temporary license while bringing up new file shares. Our account rep visited us, bought us lunch, and explained how CommVault would help us through this transition period.
We have evaluated Nimble, Tintri, and Pure as alternatives. All three of them are considerably more expensive as they require their own proprietary appliances. Also, I believe those three are great for first-tier storage that needs to be fast. However, for backups, you do not need overpriced, fast storage necessarily. You can go with something cheaper like Drobo. So for actual backups and disaster recovery, CommVault is a much better and affordable choice.