Overall Satisfaction with Compellent
We used Compellent for vmware storage for clusters used by our development group. It was used by 100+ developers.
- Very competitively priced
- No need to manage individual RAID groups
- Honestly I can only come up with 2 good things.
- Reliability. We had several times where VMFS luns would become corrupted and we'd have to move all VM's off to other storage
- Performance. 1g iSCSI performance was abysmal (although the unit we used was an older device)
- Management and Monitoring. Both management and monitoring are pretty primitive. We were never able to integrate monitoring into Nagios.
We selected Compellent solely based on price. Honestly I would rate it only slightly better than a QNAP we used (which was even cheaper). If performance and reliability are factors in your decision (and they should be) I would recommend looking at something like a VNXe.