Control M review
Updated July 06, 2016
Control M review
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Control-M
Control-M is used in my company as the primary job scheduler for all departments. We use it with various versions of Unix/Linux and Windows Operating Systems. Using Control-M allows us to standardize our job scheduling environment and enables us to complete all batch processing for our company with maximum insight into any issues that may occur.
- Control-M is very stable. It is rare to have any issues with the application.
- Dealing with dependencies is handled very well. Dependencies are easy to set up whether they are on the same server or across platforms.
- Alerting is also a strength in Control-M. It has a built in tie in to the Remedy system which allows ticket creation to be handled easily.
- I would like to see some improvement in handling conditions from previous days.
- I would like to see some improvement in being able to send out alert notifications on jobs that have not started past the new day.
- I would expect this product to give a positive return on investment. Running jobs in cron for example would require a lot more scripting effort to ensure that the proper notifications are done on failures. With the built in functionality in Control-M the effort would be greatly reduced
I have been using this product for so long and it works so well we have not had the need to evaluate other job schedulers. I have occasionally looked to see what was out there but I have seen anything so far that would require me to go so far as to evaluate the products.
I have not seen a situation so far that Control-M would not be well suited for. Control-M is very versatile and can handle a lot of situations. I could see Control-M having issues with running dozens of jobs at the same time but I would expect that to be a rare situation for anybody.
Control-M Feature Ratings
100 - Everybody from administrators to developers who just want to see the status of their jobs
21 - We have two administrators who create/update jobs and manage Control-M. We also have a NOC administrator who deals with the day to day monitoring. Administrators would require more Control-M knowledge for upgrades and general administration. A NOC administrator would require basic knowledge of standard tasks done in Control-M.
- We do a nightly EFT transfer to the banks which requires Control-M to be available for the bank transfers.
- Daily application startup/shutdown is an important part of our business. We require our applications to be available or the company can be penalized monetarily.
- Daily database maintenance jobs are very important because if they don't run it can cause issues with the database and could cause an application outage.
- BMC is always coming out with additional plugins that we may use in the future
Evaluating Control-M and Competitors
Support always responds very quickly. They are very knowledgeable and I can't remember a case where they didn't come up with a solution for me.
Problems get solved
Kept well informed
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
I had a situation where I was testing a new version of Control-M and the initial support person had not seen the problem before and was unsure of how to deal with it. Within a day he had setup a WebEx with 2 of his colleagues and they connected to my environment and figured out what the problem was within an hour. It was all handled very quickly and proficiently. I have had issues with other companies where it was like pulling teeth to get them to escalate the support case.
Control-M is easy to use, does not require much training for regular users, and is fairly straightforward when it comes to job setup.
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using
- Viewing the status of the jobs is very easy
- Putting jobs on hold or deleting jobs for the day is very easy
- Viewing job history is very easy and handy to deal with issues
- Regular users are unable to view some of the details such as alerting from jobs in the monitoring section
- Loading in jobs can be a little cumbersome