August 22, 2018
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Databricks Unified Analytics Platform
We leverage Databricks (DB) to run Big Data workloads. Primarily we build a Jar and attach to DB. We do not leverage the notebooks except for prototyping.
- Extremely Flexible in Data Scenarios
- Fantastic Performance
- DB is always updating the system so we can have latest features.
- Better Localized Testing
- When they were primarily OSS Spark; it was easier to test/manage releases versus the newer DB Runtime. Wish there was more configuration in Runtime less pick a version.
- Graphing Support went non-existent; when it was one of their compelling general engine.
- The ability to spin up a BIG Data platform with little infrastructure overhead allows us to focus on business value not admin
- DB has the ability to terminate/time out instances which helps manage cost.
- The ability to quickly access typical hard to build data scenarios easily is a strength.
When we started using it, only the notebook experience was mature. However, DB was very helpful giving us direct support to get onto their platform. Really there was little in the way to compare to them at the time. AWS has services but not the same low-cost angle.