Dell EMC Unity Review
January 11, 2019
Dell EMC Unity Review
Score 4 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Dell EMC Unity
Dell EMC Unity is used across the entire organization. It is used as a dedicated SAN as well as a shared customer environment SAN. It is used for hosting applications from basic web server all the way through large database applications.
- Dell EMC Unity has improved on the end user management experience over their older product suites.
- Dell EMC Unity once stood up is reliable and performs to expectations.
- Dell EMC Unity allows for small entry into the the product suite and can grow based on needs.
- Difficult to configure and set up out of the box compared to newer solutions in the market.
- Software and firmware updates are complicated compared to many other new storage players in the market.
- Support with Dell EMC is sometimes very difficult to get an experienced support professional to assist you with certain less often seen issues.
- Has caused us a need to look elsewhere for a better solution for our business.
- We have had to eat a lot of costs and have left a lot of our EMC Unity environments underutilized as we have had to move customers to another storage platform because of various issues they are having that we can not get around with the Unity product.
- We have gone away from Unity as a future product and have moved towards Nimble or Pure to fit the same needs.
We were directed to buy these arrays and didn't have the ability to evaluate the other arrays. Once we evaluated the other products in the market that compete with Unity we saw that the younger, more built from the ground up arrays, had much better features, software, and ease of use.
Dell EMC Unity, in my honest opinion, is basically an all-flash VNX with a better interface. There is ZERO innovation coming out of EMC. If you want a company that's going to give you good support and be proud of their product instead of their profit margin, I strongly urge you to look elsewhere as there are better and more innovative products in the marketplace.
Using Dell EMC Unity
Do not like to use
Difficult to use
Requires technical support
Slow to learn