Overall Satisfaction with DraftSight
I and my employees use DraftSight. It is able to save .dwg files in several AutoCAD versions, which if you are an older AutoCAD user, you cannot save to more current versions or have modern AutoCAD files read by older AutoCAD programs. It allows a very reasonable cost for very effective software, without AutoDesk getting all in my business.
- Very dependable, stable
- Patterns work very well
- Many ways to copy and move, very quickly
- Improvements in software over time
- I do not think all of the functionality is covered in the Help menu
- The terms used in the Help menu and options menu are overwhelming, some hyperlinked explanation would be helpful
- The options menu is very difficult, finding a control of a particular aspect of the program is looking for a needle in a haystack, I have worked with this for ten years and still don't know the logic and hierarchy.
- The text editors have been changed over the years and I still don't like the setup. Currently, when I edit, it blows up so I cannot see the entire stream of text.
- Cost of software. I have heard an architect state that his greatest business expense is his AutoCAD subscription.
- The software becomes more effective as you use it and learn more about it.
- There has been no negative effect on my business.
I tried AutoCAD subscription last year and it was so different that I never used it. DraftSight has become a familiar and powerful tool for me. I have looked at the other non-vector based programs and they are a joke.