Edmodo Review: "The Only Classroom Learning Tool I'll Ever Use"https://www.trustradius.com/learning-management-lmsEdmodoUnspecified8.5541012014-02-20T23:56:34.355Z
Our district rolled out a county wide Edmodo initiative to all the middle schools and high schools. At the time we were the fifth largest district in the state. Edmodo was going to be used as a tool to engage students in daily lessons, and extend the classroom discussion beyond the walls of the classroom.
- Teachers and team members used Edmodo as a "hub" to share resources with their students, colleagues, and team members.
- Teachers and students were able to build a community inside and outside of the classroom. Students took more pride and ownership of their works since it was going to be seen and reviewed by their classmates (however, you have the option of making student work private as well). Teachers were able to connect with other teachers across the world thanks to the Edmodo Learning Communities.
- Teachers, administration, parents, and students were able to keep an open line of communication through the ease of creating/joining school groups and classes.
- One of the features I found limiting was the quiz feature. Teachers have a TON of resources, and it would have been a lot easier if we could import our already "hard copy" tests/quizzes into Edmodo, instead of having to type in each question individually.
- Edmodo really changed the way I taught and organized lessons. The students were itching to log on and start on their warm-up and agenda for the day. All the resources for the lesson, assessments, everything was online. The biggest payoff was seeing my shy students really shine. It gave all my students a voice, and they slowly gained the courage to use it (in a constructive and respectful way of course).
- It changed the way I assessed my students. Instead of lugging home mounds or projects, students often took the digital route, and would submit their projects online. The projects I assessed were above and beyond anything I had gotten with typed report. Student's creativity really shined through, and they had more fun with it.
- With the world we live in, Social Media is going to continue to expand. Edmodo really gave me the opportunity to reinforce those digital citizenship skills we've been teaching since day one. The students are so used to being "plugged in" so why not teach them in an environment they're already adapted to.
First and foremost, Edmodo is FREE! I've used other e-learning tools, and no one came close to the level of functionality, ease of use, and accessibility that Edmodo did. There's a mobile app for just about every device, so having a student that didn't have access was incredibly rare.
Edmodo is a LEARNING tool. Not "one more thing" I have to use or integrate. It was my one stop shop for everything for my classes. More importantly, I was able to watch my students grow. My students who were timid, and quiet, became my discussion leaders. Students who didn't do their homework, never missed an assignment once I started doing "e-tickets" and discussion groups. Everyone felt they had a voice, which made our classroom community that much stronger.
I loved using Edmodo as a discussion tool. We often used Edmodo as a backchannel discussion tool during presentations, demonstrations, video clips, etc. All of my students were engaged, because I could see exactly who was participating. I could tell they understood the content by the questions/comments they would pose to each other. It really allowed me to take a step back, and simply facilitate.