Overall Satisfaction with Elasticsearch
We used Elasticsearch to build and search a complex index of tv shows, actors, seasons, episodes etc... Using Elasticsearch we can derive information very quickly about what season belongs to which tv show. This allowed us to dynamically build a tree like data structure on the fly without any performance degradation.
- Fuzzy query matching
- Indexing and Sharding data
- High availability and cluster managment
- A better user interface
- Better integration with AWS
- Cost of maintaining a cluster in the cloud (e.g. AWS memory optomized instances) is expensive.
- Project is open sourced, we are free to contribute if a bug is found. And its free!
Elasticsearch does one thing very well. Search and index data. Trying to go outside that realm is doable but not recommended. For example, I would not use elasticsearch as a document store. But rather treat it as a rebuildable index that can be rebuilt from a persistent database like Postgres, or MySQL.