As a reseller of Informer we are using the product as multi database reporting tool. Our typical implantation is for reporting against client Unidata databases, providing a simple, easy to use tool for our clients to view their data. From running month ends to aging summaries, the application is typically used by accounting departments and system analysts. We have also been able to integrate Informer within our own software with positive results.
- The system is rather intuitive. Most clients are able to pick up the application at an excelled pace.
- Ease of implementation; with self-contained installer deploying multiple instances is easily done.
- It is rather easy to “break” the system with what I call runaway reports. The way the system requests data is rather poor in that it’s an all or nothing deal.
- Screen constancy is a little off. The option to drag or double click should be a valid input on any screen, but there is a mix of this feature working fully and partially.
- There is no granular system administration; the application it is either on or off. At times it would be helpful to stop/kill individual user database requests from the system, rather than turning off the application for the entire company to resolve issues.
- Positive – we needed a reporting solution that could be implemented across a multitude of clients. Informer met that need and Entrinsik has been a good partner to work with.
- Negative – Clients have used the product outside of its original intent and it’s rather difficult to stop them from using these unsupported features, such as data extraction, which not only is an overhead for use but brings security into question.
- Positive – The system is well accepted and improves the image of our company by having such a tool.
With a large client base already on Informer, changing over to another tool is not ideal - along with the positive results from the current user pool and no technical limitations we have not be able to overcome. There is simply no need to use another option. We are keeping Informer.
The system is great at running complicated reports with a significant amount of fields in the parameters. However whenever processing a large request the application typically stalls. For a successful implementation an experienced report writer is recommended to train end users, along with having designated users who should have the rights to create reports where others can only run.