Overall Satisfaction with Heroku
We use Heroku to host small applications or services, particularly internal ones, where the ease of the platform and administration is more important to us than a highly available service but one which we need to manage ourselves.
- Easy to use
- Inexpensive to get started
- Encourages best practices
- Expensive at scale
- No access to raw servers -- if Heroku is down, you are too, and all you can do is wait for them to fix it.
- Maintenance and relatively short stack life cycle means you can't push an app to Heroku and leave it for years. You'll be forced to migrate it.
- Enables us to move faster
- Costs more to host at scale than on physical or cloud machines
- Great endpoint to test and develop
I feel Heroku is lightyears ahead of all other PaaS offerings. To me the competition is between PaaS and self-hosted cloud, not between Heroku and other PaaS providers.