Overall Satisfaction with IBM Cloud Virtual Servers
Mine is a startup company, and we have a 1-year bonus on IBM Cloud services. It is been used as a computing platform for all services that ScienceDesk will provide. We are evaluating and trying to build a reliable, secure, and well organized infrastructure.
- The provision time is reasonable.
- Not able to properly and easily manage VLANs and subnets in classical infrastructure. Some functions are there but fail to apply with no useful details. Online support has not been able to help at all.
- There is a terraform plugin but documentation is not easy to follow. Some functions are cited on documentation but link to other places that don't really have the information in an easy way to use. For instance, I was not able to provision, using terraform, a virtual server with GPU because I couldn't find the GPU options code anywhere.
- Could not find GPU machines on VPC Infrastructure Gen1 or Gen2. I would like to have all our servers in VPC infrastructure but we need servers with GPU that seem not to be available. Online support has not been able to clarify that.
- The panel interface is unstable and seems to lack some refinements. One time, while trying to provision some services while searching for and accessing documentation, it all changed language to what seemed to be Japanese and the only what to have it back to English was to erase all site cookies.
- As a startup, we are evaluating IBM with a bonus so I cannot really have a position on ROI yet.
- IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service
- IBM Cloud Object Storage
- IBM Cloud Databases
As a lean startup, being able to use those products enables the team to focus more on the core business and worry less about service maintenance.
I would let them know about IBM as an option but I don't see how I could tell them IBM has good benefits compared to other cloud platforms like Google and AWS. The pricing could be attractive but in terms of features and service reliability, I can't really see how IBM excels.