IBM Cloudant is great!
November 11, 2019
IBM Cloudant is great!
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with IBM Cloudant
We use Cloudant as an IBM proposed DB solution for dedicated cloud foundry IBM cloud environments. The initial structure is for a weird implementation to use Cloudant, as we are using it as a cache for some middle life data. I know cache is not the right implementation for Cloudant, but it offered database sync between datacenters.
- For us, performance and scalability is the key, and Cloudant DB backed by CouchDB is scalable and performant.
- IBM Cloudant dB is very easy to provision for sandbox, development, QA as well as production.
- Limited support for popular programming languages such as Python, Perl, and R.
- No support for SQL.
- No support for XML.
- The lack of memory capabilities.
- Strong query interface, IBM Cloudant provides a very robust and flexible query interface allowing us to write simple as well as complex queries
- Performance, for the most part we have been happy with the performance of the Cloudant database
Features like replication, monitoring, and ease of operation have been the key benefits. Also, the ability to work with JSON natively is also a big plus.
Better conflict resolution. Cloudant should take away some complexity of conflict resolution from the application. Today the application has to manage most of that complexity.
We use it across the board. We are a cloud-based solution provider and our products are deployed on the IBM cloud and we used IBM Cloudant as a database (persistent) storage. We use it across the board to store anything that needs persistent storage, from text to images and document attachments as well.
IBM Cloudant Feature Ratings
Evaluating IBM Cloudant and Competitors
Yes - Azure Cosmos DB. We replaced Cosmos DB with Cloudant because our company already heavily utilizes IBM Cloud, more so than Microsoft Azure and for the cost savings.
- Product Features
- Product Usability
- Prior Experience with the Product
- Vendor Reputation
- Existing Relationship with the Vendor
- Positive Sales Experience with the Vendor
The single most important factor in my decision was our heavy utilization of IBM Cloud and many other IBM products. Our relationship with IBM is very strong.