Overall Satisfaction with Information Builders WebFOCUS
We use Information Builders WebFOCUS to not just create dashboards and executive reporting, but to enable key business individuals to build and manage information solutions supporting their departmental organizations as well as across the enterprise. By surfacing appropriately staged data with governance and oversight through a tool like the WebFOCUS BI Portal the business is able to rise above the tail chasing that normally happens when attempting to generate reports and insights leveraging the business and an IT report writer.
- WebFOCUS as a BI and analytics platform has all of the necessary components to successfully implement and run a competent and intelligent organization.
- WebFOCUS has adapters into any data source that has ever been made and is being made. This allows reach into virtually any system to report and analyze the data.
- With version 8 of WebFOCUS the usability of the BI Portal and the development environments are extremely robust, yet easy to use. Business users are able to quickly and effectively get up to speed and build powerful solutions with minimal assistance.
- The ability to parameterize virtually anything and also access to the backend coding allows powerful, creative, and innovative solutions.
- Bullet graphs and a few of the newer multi-variable graph types are not available that are very handy in specific situations. They are in the works, but not in the current version.
- SAP Business Objects
Years ago I developed in Business Objects and when it came down to a decision to go with WebFOCUS it was a pretty easy choice. There is really nothing you can't do with the platform given all of the available options to develop the solutions with - HTML pages, parameterized reports, dashboards, user created solutions, scheduling, and an outstanding security model. But, when it came down to it, Information Builders is a great partner and having a vendor you can trust makes all the difference in the world.
Information Builders has built a broad and deep platform for data access, reporting, and analytics over the past 40 years. Given this, they have a suite of offerings that will fill needs of small companies to the largest. If a company is looking for a tool for a data scientist type of position their InfoDiscovery or RStat tools will fill the need, but where I feel they shine is at a mid-sized enterprise model where the platform is leveraged by everyone... at the appropriate accessibility levels. Companies should have governance over who does and sees what. I strongly recommend that only 5% of the individuals in the business should have "designer" access, and those individuals must be mentored and connected to all of the others in the company. No silos.