Solo Attorney Review
Updated January 04, 2022
Solo Attorney Review
Score 9 out of 10
Power PDF Advanced
Overall Satisfaction with Kofax Power PDF (formerly Nuance)
Almost exclusively, PDF formatted documents are used in the legal field for contracts, pleadings, and other very sensitive documents. Kofax PDF is so powerful, with so many options that I have yet to encounter any problem it cannot address. For example, sending a proposed contract to several parties but only allowing one party to alter the contract.
- Internal linking to specific pages/exhibits in a Table of Contents, which is increasingly required in e-filed court documents. This could be made easier but is workable now.
- Copying text should be a matter of selecting and copying. There should be a Right-Click actuated Select All, Select Page, and Select Paragraph in addition to simply highlighting and copying, similar to word processing programs.
- Creating a Table of Contents to linked pages/sentences should be automated. One would place a cursor at a specific location, right-click, and "Add to TOC" The text displayed in the TOC could be "Page X" or selected text, but the user should be able to edit the text displayed in the TOC.
- I'd like to see the Toolbars organized better, perhaps by functionality ("Edit Text", "Edit Images", "Security", etc.
- I'd like the complete file path and name to display.
- I was already a user of Nuance PaperPort and its PDF product when Kofax acquired the product. I subsequently upgraded and was pleasantly surprised at the immediate improvements made by Kofax.
The UI is not instinctive. Power PDF is relatively easy to use but the interface needs work. There is a longer learning curve than I think necessary. Better organization of the tabs and toolbars could go a long way. Not every user needs all functionality.
Do you think Kofax Power PDF delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Kofax Power PDF's feature set?
Did Kofax Power PDF live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Kofax Power PDF go as expected?
Would you buy Kofax Power PDF again?
Power PDF is an extremely powerful and feature-rich product with the potential to greatly improve document production and flow. Compared to other products, its clean-up and print engine is superior.
Using Kofax Power PDF (formerly Nuance)
1 - I am a solo-practice Attorney and thus wear all hats in my organization. This includes document prep, documentstudy, document filing (using Kofax PaperPort), document distribution, responding to incoming mail and documents, billing, client development. I use Kofax PaperPort and Power PDF every day.
1 - As stated in my earlier review, Kofax Power PDF is extremely powerful and can do virtually anything pertaining to PDF files. However, with such power comes complexity negatively impacting ease of use. There should be a simpler, smaller PDF reader that requires no training to use.
- Reading PDF documents
- Extracting text from PDF documents
- Creating PDF documents
- Distributing PDF documents