Lightspeed Filter Review
November 09, 2021
Lightspeed Filter Review
Director in Information TechnologyEducation Management Company, 501-1000 employees
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Lightspeed Filter (formerly Relay)
The Lightspeed filter is being used across our entire district for web filtering. We use it to separately control filtering for staff and students on both our wired and wireless networks. It handles filtering out unwanted sites and content. It also includes a free safety check filter that alerts us of site and searches identifying self-harm and violence.
- Filters out content that we do not want students or staff accessing.
- It allows us to filter by OU, so we can create different levels of filtering for staff and students.
- Includes a virtual appliance that we can use to filter guest devices and iPads on our wireless network.
- It sometimes takes longer than expected for new filtering rules to apply.
- Sometimes a site is blocked due to sub-sites or links, but it does not easily identify the source of the block if it is buried in the site.
- They have several reports included, but it would be nice to create custom reports.
- Low level of false positives
- Ability to granularly set different filtering levels based on user OU
- Intuitive web interface
- The ROI we measure with the filter is in student productivity
- It has reduced the time students have been on non-education sites by approximately 10% over our former filter because it does a better job with site categories (i.e., education games vs games).
- The included Safety Check feature has helped us improve our response to mental health issues.
The Lightspeed filter has done a much better job with false-positive flagging. We have reduced the number of reported false-positive blocks by about 20% with Lightspeed. The Lightspeed interface is more intuitive and easy to navigate and configure than iboss. The reporting with iboss was a little more extensive than the reporting with Lightspeed.
Do you think Lightspeed Filter delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Lightspeed Filter's feature set?
Did Lightspeed Filter live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Lightspeed Filter go as expected?
Would you buy Lightspeed Filter again?
I would highly recommend Lightspeed for web and content filtering on a network. It definitely does a better job avoiding false positives than our previous filter. The interface is fairly straightforward and easy to navigate. The included Safety Check notifications for self-harm and violence provide a good summary and the notifications link back to the browsing history to provide context.