MS Project is project management software offered by Microsoft. It can be deployed online or installed, and has different versions for team members, project managers, and executives or PMOs.https://media.trustradius.com/product-logos/ZB/hz/TANUZCC6XALF.PNGOne of the basic tools for Construction ManagementMicrosoft Project is the tool of choice in our organization to create and follow up on construction project schedules. We use it as a planning and decision-making tool.,Basic and/or detailed sequencing of activities. Helps determine credible timelines for projects.,The resources assignment tool could be made easier. With so many resources to be managed, assigning resources in construction schedules turns them into huge files that are difficult to manage if your computer is modest in processing capacity.,10,It has helped us maintain a competitive offer in the project management field, enabling us to ensure our clients that their projects are kept within the schedule or those foreseen obstacles are handled well in advance.,Oracle Primavera Portfolio Management,ProcoreMicrosoft Project for Financial ProjectionsWe use Microsoft Project to schedule electrical construction projects. Microsoft Project easily allows for accurate projections when resources are input accurately. Tasking of employees and planning for labor is accomplished easily and it is easy to see when a single labor resource is over-allocated allowing us to decide to increase manpower or adjust the schedule.,Auto schedule for holidays and weekends without referencing an outside calendar. Allocate resources for accurate projections. Visualize actual construction progress in the timeline. Multiple views and reports for presentation to construction crews and clients.,Import other schedules from Excel would be nice, but that's asking a lot.,10,Easily project P&L for input resources. Manage labor flow more efficiently.,Procore, Trimble Accubid, Bluebeam RevuAn overall great tool for proejct managementWe've been using Microsoft Project in our company for over 2 years. It has been a great implementation for improving productivity via software. We chose Microsoft because we knew we would get the best in terms of quality standards. It has plenty of tools we use daily, such as resource planning and a working timetable. We don't feel the need to upgrade it yet.,It has a great portfolio of tools for its price. It's really easy to use, almost everyone can implement it and start using it quickly. The fact that project plans can be accessed basically from any place with an internet connection, making it extremely useful for updating those plans on the go.,A little buggy from time to time, but just in some of our team member's experience. UI can be improved, maybe keeping the same design that Office 365 has. It can give sometimes an overwhelming feeling when using this product for lesser projects in smaller companies than it is maybe intended to.,9,Increased productivity and on-time task achievement More efficiency for remote members located away from HQ Time saving,Atlassian Confluence,Atlassian Confluence, OneDrive, SysTools G Suite/Google Apps BackupGreat Project Management ToolWhen I was in the position I was in I used Microsoft Project for my project management needs. I used this to make sure we were on target with staying within budget for our projects. It was very simple to use and easy to set up. It also has a great interface and showed well especially when presenting the data in meetings.,the simpleness of tracking budget for a project track projects on a task level basis real time what if scenarios in terms of task delay,better built in Visualization capability like One Pager offers as an add on sometimes it feels the software is too big and complex to manage really simple projects There are not many choices of nice icons to use,8,keep track of the risks that the project has with the data that is provided in the template it included the ability to create and manage activity plans, also known as lightweight projects, and personal projects This can also be great for beginners or experts in project managementProject Scheduling SoftwareMicrosoft Project gives the present status of any project and is used to inform the project status to management and customer. Critical paths task can be identified in any project. Gantt chart,Multiple projects scheduling More user friendly May be less cost,7,Easy to track a project status Could not schedule multiple projects Resource constraints of other projects cannot be identified,,Microsoft Office 365, Skype for Business (formerly Lync), AspenONE Engineering, Insightly, Microsoft Access
Microsoft Project

Microsoft Project Reviews

Microsoft Project
TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019
Filter 398 vetted Microsoft Project reviews and ratings

Gonzalo Justiniani Herrera profile photo
May 01, 2019

Microsoft Project Review: "One of the basic tools for Construction Management"

• Basic and/or detailed sequencing of activities.
  • Helps determine credible timelines for projects.
  • The resources assignment tool could be made easier. With so many resources to be managed, assigning resources in construction schedules turns them into huge files that are difficult to manage if your computer is modest in processing capacity.
Well suited for all typical projects where tracking of earned value depends mostly on the percent progress achieved.
Less appropriate for projects where tracking depends more on the effort performed by the assigned resources of each activity. For example, in big construction projects where activities depend on the input of many resources like machinery of different types, manpower of different trades, supervision, etc.
Read Gonzalo Justiniani Herrera's full review
Jay Handleson profile photo
April 10, 2019

Review: "Microsoft Project for Financial Projections"

• Auto schedule for holidays and weekends without referencing an outside calendar.
  • Allocate resources for accurate projections.
  • Visualize actual construction progress in the timeline.
  • Multiple views and reports for presentation to construction crews and clients.
  • Import other schedules from Excel would be nice, but that's asking a lot.
Microsoft Project is perfect for small to medium construction projects. Larger construction projects may benefit more from more robust scheduling software. A single contractor on a single project will benefit greatly from Microsoft Project as opposed to no scheduling software and trying to use a calendar method only. Linking of activities prevents missteps of activities when supervised properly.
Read Jay Handleson's full review
Martín Stricker profile photo
January 25, 2019

Microsoft Project Review: "An overall great tool for proejct management"

• It has a great portfolio of tools for its price.
  • It's really easy to use, almost everyone can implement it and start using it quickly.
  • The fact that project plans can be accessed basically from any place with an internet connection, making it extremely useful for updating those plans on the go.
  • A little buggy from time to time, but just in some of our team member's experience.
  • UI can be improved, maybe keeping the same design that Office 365 has.
  • It can give sometimes an overwhelming feeling when using this product for lesser projects in smaller companies than it is maybe intended to.
I think it is very well suited for small to medium projects, giving users control to a lot of parameters/tools like flexible schedule configuration, reports on real values versus projected ones and tracking of resource allocations. However, it doesn't give you the option to measure the productivity of the machines or people. It doesn't support Mac, so a PC-based platform is required.
Read Martín Stricker's full review
Paul Enger profile photo
December 12, 2018

Microsoft Project Review: "Great Project Management Tool"

• the simpleness of tracking budget for a project
  • track projects on a task level basis
  • real time what if scenarios in terms of task delay
  • better built in Visualization capability like One Pager offers as an add on
  • sometimes it feels the software is too big and complex to manage really simple projects
  • There are not many choices of nice icons to use

The biggest issue this helped me resolve was that I can now view the actual schedule and make changes if I need to rather than getting a PDF of the schedule and having no control of the document. The benefit of this is that I can edit the schedule to realize hypothetical scenarios and dates for a particular project.

Read Paul Enger's full review
RAMKUMAR GUDIPATI profile photo
December 18, 2018

Microsoft Project Review: "Project Scheduling Software"

• Microsoft Project gives the present status of any project and is used to inform the project status to management and customer.
  • Critical paths task can be identified in any project.
  • Gantt chart
  • Multiple projects scheduling
  • More user friendly
  • May be less cost
Microsoft Project is utilized by the whole organization, but it's primarily used by the Project Management team. Microsoft Project is used to schedule the every individual project. Microsoft Project gives the present status of any project and is used to inform the project status to management and customers. Resource dependency and critical paths task can be identified in any project.
Read RAMKUMAR GUDIPATI's full review
Leticia Waller profile photo
November 21, 2018

Review: "Microsoft Project is great for PMs and estimators all alike!"

I really like this product to make schedules for projects and it gives all of my trades the ability to see schedules that are upcoming and how they need to prepare for the schedule coming up. I use this along with our project managers and we use this for certain clients who require a gantt chart when we submit a bid to them. Having a schedule set gives us the option to be more competitive than another general contractor.
  • Ease of use
  • Detailed
  • Allows me to make charts
  • Way to make a successful project
  • I think starting the dates one after another is the hardest part.
  • I would like to see Microsoft Project be a little more colorful, it is a little dull.
I use Microsoft Project whenever I am putting together a bid and my PMs use it for the entirety of the project. We use it to make deadlines (or beat them) and discuss when our trades will be in.
Read Leticia Waller's full review
April 24, 2019

Microsoft Project Review: "Excellent cost vs. benefit for Project Management"

It is used at the whole organization as the official and standard tool of project management. Microsoft Project helps the company to address project management capabilities such as budget tracking, project planning, resources allocation, reporting, baseline and actual progress, and many other things. It is an essential piece of our projects.
  • Budget management - You can easily set the available budget and indicate for each activity/resource the necessary amount. Therefore, it is good for the plan & actual budgets.
  • Project management - Key elements such as progress management and critical path.
  • Basic charts - Gantt charts are really developed and compelling.
  • Planned versus actual budgets - Track progress.
  • Baseline management - Manage and versioning of baseline.
  • Resources allocation - Redistribute and rebalance resources across activities.
  • Overall financial management - Microsoft Project is not indicated for complex financial management, such as Net Present Value, S-Chart, and others. It is strongly suggested to complement this capability with either an Excel or integration with SAP or Oracle Primavera Unifier.
  • KPIs and dashboards - Microsoft Project still lacks advanced charts and analytics. This should be complemented as well with other tools/software.
Microsoft Project is well suited for the basic core concepts of project management. It is flexible and allows basically any kind of control and management.

It is not well suited for heavy CAPEX projects, but you can complement it with Excel spreadsheets or any other tools specific to the financial management of the project and portfolio.
March 13, 2019

Microsoft Project Review: "Project is great"

I used this at two different companies. With Mortenson, we used it to do the 2-week look ahead schedules for a $480 million 32-month project, that were then given to the scheduler to update the overall schedule in P6. It was cost saving because there were four superintendents that needed to provide an update weekly. The second company used it exclusively for scheduling purposes for periods of a few weeks to a year + from a $100K to $14 mill. Microsoft Project is cost-effective, versatile, and gets easy to use once you get used to using it more and more.
  • First off, the cost is reasonable so a project team can have 4 or 5 licenses compared to a P6.
  • Project is easy to use and gets easier to use the more you use it.
  • I can print effective schedules that are easy to understand.
  • I remember that there were a few files that were corrupted in some way, shape or form, and that forced us to have rebuild and start over.
  • I would like more control over the appearance of the schedule.
  • I would like to see more online support videos.
It is well for suited smaller companies that need to have multiple people creating schedules, projects of short duration, and projects managers that need to create multiple schedules. I think it is not as well suited for large projects but will hold its own if needed.
February 11, 2019

User Review: "Microsoft Project is a time saver."

It is being used by various individuals. It is nice to collaborate on schedules with each other. I also use it to figure manpower and durations based on manpower. I still feel like I'm very new at using Project and don't get to use it as often as I'd like. I'm always learning new tricks and things to make it easier to use.
  • Being able to tie tasks together so when something changes it makes it easier to track.
  • Being able to create categories for tasks and tie them all together.
  • It's nice to set holidays and not have to remember them when scheduling farther into the future.
  • I've been using it for a while but I don't get to use it as much as I'd like. The is a lot of information and help out there to learn how to use it better.
  • Linking tasks together and the whole SS-1D or FS+4D is very confusing. It usually takes me a few tries to get it where I want. There is always information to help figure this out, just need to be willing to look and ask.
  • Sorting by date and task can be confusing. At least there's always the undo button.
  • I'm always learning something new that makes using project easier and more beneficial for me. I wish I was able to use or more.
I like being able to copy directly to Excel for certain items and vice versa. Linking tasks can get very confusing. It requires a lot of time up front but will save a ton of time in the long run. I'm still learning, and as I do, it becomes so much easier to use.
December 10, 2018

Microsoft Project Review: "MS Project Wasn't for Us"

We are not actively utilizing MS Project. We found the application to be too cumbersome for associates not familiar with Project Management methodologies or technics, nor familiar with technology. All in all, we felt MS Project did not provide an easy or positive user experience, which would not have allowed for high user adoption.
  • Ability to track resource capacity.
  • Ability to plot tasks & timelines.
  • Steep learning curve.
  • Not user friendly due to learning curve.
I believe MS Project is best suited for an organization with a Project/Program Management Office, which will be managing projects. For organizations wanting front line users or departmental managers to create and track their own projects, I would suggest an alternative to MS Project.
November 26, 2018

Microsoft Project Review: "MS Project, best overall project management tool"

Microsoft Project was the primary tool used by all of the project managers when building and managing our project plans. The reason for this is because the tool is very easy to use, it simplifies the process of building out your WBS, adding resources, determining budget, and identifying timelines. Managing your schedule is made simple as the change you make automatically adjust the timelines and help identify any constraints. Also, the out of the box reporting really makes it easy to share the status of your project. Another advantage is most of your resources will probably be quite familiar with MS Project as its so widely adopted.
  • I found that MS Project is a great tool for developing your WBS with your team. The tool is great to use during a planning session as it easily allows you and you to enter tasks, determine the sequence, add level of effort, and determine resource requirements.
  • Tracking tracks is made simple. Based of your lead or lag, you can adjust your timelines and determine the best outcome or solutions.
  • Report wizard helps you easily report on the project status, forecasts, resource usage, costs, etc...
  • I feel there is still some room to improve on the reporting, to possible simplify the exporting of reports and how they can be imported into presentations.
MS project is a very versatile project management tool that can be used for all project sizes. I have used MS Project to manage multimillion dollar projects and also for developing a simple test plan. Its biggest advantage is its ease of use as the interface is very intuitive and best of all if you need assistance there are tons of tutorials and courses one can take to get you up and running in no time.

February 15, 2019

Microsoft Project Review: "Go for it!"

Microsoft Project is used across the organization for those that need it. It was used to develop reports and catalogs on IT products and services.
  • User friendly
  • Multiple designs and color schemes to choose from
  • AllowS for better collaboration by allowing collaborators to work on the same document at the same time.
It is well suited for creating reports that are easy on the eye and have various graphics.
December 12, 2018

Microsoft Project Review: "Project Scheduling and Managing Tool"

We use Microsoft Project in the Engineering Department to schedule our projects. We share the same schedule with customers to inform them of the status of their project on a weekly basis. It helps us to track the project in entirety. And gives an idea to Project Managers and Engineering Managers on the status of the projects.
  • Detail Project Schedule timelines.
  • Gantt Chart.
  • Highlights tasks in critical path.
  • It would be great if we can schedule multiple projects in one file.
  • It is slightly complicated for beginners.
  • All the features are not being used because of complexity or lack of expertise.
To schedule an individual project where we know the tasks in the sequence and the time it takes for each task. Microsoft Project is very useful to keep track of scheduled time versus actual time taken for any task, and also to know the status of given project at any point of time, and to communicate the same with clients.
Fred Abraham, P.Eng profile photo
October 09, 2018

Review: "Microsoft Project: To Use Or Not To Use?"

I was introduced to Microsoft Project the first time in about 2003, while working as a Project Manager for L-3 Communication Systems. The training was left mostly to the latitude of each Project Manager. Microsoft Excel was considered an acceptable safety net, being used extensively in the past. Personally, I used 'Microsoft Project 2000 Step-by-Step'. The learning curve was average for Sciex as an independent contractor, tasked to oversee all steps required to complete the upgrading of two legacy projects and turning them into being RoHS-compliant (RoHS - Restrictions of Hazardous Substances). Sciex is specialized in the design and manufacturing of medical instrumentation. The two projects I was involved with were mass spectrometers. Project was used widely across the company for all projects having a start day and estimated completion day, as recommended by Project Management techniques. The first task that I took upon myself was to estimate the best way to ensure a completion of the project in time since a rather artificial due date was already in place. I proceeded to create a task list followed by a work breakdown structure and as a result, I requested the addition of two additional members to the team, since while the budget was relatively generous, the time constraints were not. Also, I requested from the management to intervene with another company, operating as a sub-contractor to Sciex, to make an effort and beef-up their team. We finished within the budget and schedule.
  • Microsoft Project allows users to input a large and varied amount of detail pertinent to a specific project and then creates numerous varied out reports, as per the specific needs of a certain user working on that project.
  • Microsoft Project is very flexible in relation to the familiarity of a specific user with the Project. Someone with very little knowledge of Project can still input some data and receive some useful reports, without using the whole capability of the package.
  • Project allows a varied types of data to be inputted, such as definition of various subtasks related to the project, time information about the original estimates for tasks and the actual figures, monetary information about the cost of all items required to complete a project (such as rate per hour of specific participants working of a project, cost of equipment to be bought or rented, cost of materials required for project execution, etc).
  • A Project Manager very conversant with Project can get a very large number of reports, each one for a specific need.
  • The Project software package, while being very powerful, it also has a rather lengthy learning curve. A fresh Project Manager which didn't use Project before (due to being in a different role, or using until now a different project management tool) and put in charge of a project having as a requirement the utilization of Microsoft Project for a new project starting very soon, will have a hard time to assimilate all aspects of the package, if he wants to take advantage of Project's full capabilities.
  • While not being exaggerated, the cost of the software package is relatively high (around $650.00) This is maybe not a lot for a company needing one or two packages, but is relevant to a company needing to procure 20 packages.
  • I would like to see more specialty books pertinent to Project. 'Leaning Microsoft Project Step-by-Step' issued by Microsoft themselves and used by me when I started learning Project is a bit cumbersome, unlike other books in their series for Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.
Project is very well suited for large projects involving numerous personnel, equipment and materials,and expected to take many months or even years to completion. Also, it is useful when the stakeholders of the project are rather different in their capacity and require rather different types of reports (strictly financial reports, slippage in schedule and how the schedule can be brought back, etc.)

On the other hand, a company specializing in projects that are relatively simple and only have a span of a few weeks or a couple of months would be better off adopting a simpler Project Management tool, one that costs less and has a much shorter learning curve.
Read Fred Abraham, P.Eng's full review
Jason Leidig profile photo
September 04, 2018

Review: "Microsoft Project 2016 - It's come a long ways, and thank goodness, because Project 2007 sucked."

I am currently using Microsoft Project for a construction project where we are using it to plan out and track Work Packages. We have budgets for each work package and we also have resources loaded for each work package as well. We are able to track both cost and schedule performance using Project.
  • The custom columns and the ability to use formulas within Project allows the user flexibility with respect to the data that they want to display, and how they want it displayed. For example, I was able to enter a formula into a custom column that calculated the week of the project a particular task was scheduled to finish. We have also used custom columns to upload data from other systems into our schedules, for example the work package status out of SAP, and material information as well.
  • Using VBA to automate certain task is very useful and can be a great time saver. For example, I recently worked a program where I was managing 10k+ tasks in a single schedule that were comprised of material, engineering, and production activity, which required inputs from multiple stakeholders. Using data downloaded out of our enterprise systems, I was able to create a single set of data in Excel's Power Query, and I uploaded this data into Project using code developed in the VBA editor. Typically it would take a week or more to manual status a schedule of this size. But because I was able to automate this step, I could update my schedule in 20 minutes. This allowed me to status my schedule on a daily basis, making my schedule more relevant. We were also able to make the schedule more informative: we loaded any kind of material and/or engineering issues in to the schedule, along with comments from other systems that provided benefit to correcting an issue, or to help with taking advantage of an opportunity. Where I worked prior, we received various audits from different entities, and we always received positive input for the kind of data we were able to present.
  • Timelines! Timelines offer the user a way to quickly convey a high level narrative of the schedule. This gives the audience a more efficient way to dive into the schedule. The timeline view can allow for a super clean view of the project, and is great to use in presentation.
  • Project Online/Server - when this version of Project is used it really does turbo charge the functionality that is available to the user and tremendously grows the collaborated engagement with stakeholders. Project Online/Server is able to take advantage of all the resources that lay within Office 365 and SharePoint. Those resources would be SharePoint lists, Power Apps, Flows, Team, & Planner. And Project Online/Server makes it available for stakeholders to make updates directly into the schedule through several different mediums with all of these inputs having to go through an approval process prior to updating the schedule.
  • The reporting functionality is really impressive. The reporting features within the standalone Project allow the user to quickly cobble together some really impressive metrics that their IPT will find very helpful to managing a project. The reporting layout is really intuitive, and looks something similar to what you would find working with PivotTables in Excel. And the format that is provided for displaying data is really flexible and gives you several options on how to display the data. In a very short time, the user can put together a fairly impressive looking dashboard. But as impressive as the new reporting functionality is, the standalone version is nothing compared to what is available in Project Online/Server. With this version you are able to use Power BI to drive your reporting, which will put you into Superman status with your co-workers.
  • As impressive as the reporting piece is in the standalone version, currently it does not allow you to report on the data that resides in the custom fields. It's only the standard columns that you can report against. If Microsoft would work to include the data out of the custom columns into the reporting it would make for some really cool reports and would negate the need for exporting the data into Excel for the most part.
  • Even though custom columns allow for formulas to be entered in, there is a max of 256 characters that can be entered. There have been a couple of times that this has created an issue, not only with entering formulas but also with the entry of data from other systems. Doubling the amount of characters for certain custom column types would go a long ways to alleviating this issue.
Microsoft Project--the standalone version--is great for those smaller to medium size projects. But when engaging larger projects where you are engaging with multiple stakeholders who are providing inputs, then Project Online/Server is the way to go; It does an amazing job by driving collaboration in a multitude of ways.
Read Jason Leidig's full review
Timothy Sawah profile photo
September 27, 2018

Microsoft Project Review: "MS project in higher education environment"

MS Project is a very powerful tool in project management. I use it both for work at the IT department and for educational purposes in advanced project management classes.
The software enables me to manage resource pools effectively, assign resources to tasks, manage tasks and complex schedules ranging between 100 and 2000 tasks.
  • Has advanced cost estimation capabilities, as it calculates varying hourly rates, overtime, off schedule work and provides advanced cost reports
  • Easy to use when preparing gantt charts and timelines. Dependencies can be set and auto scheduling can be enabled
  • Takes into account resource calendars, holidays and other unexpected off days
  • Has advanced project management features for crashing activities, leveling resources and handling over allocations
  • You can easily customize and export reports
  • Compatible with Excel
  • It is hard to understand advanced features without a training or advanced project management knowledge
  • Resource pools feature can be added
  • Team planner and web access would make it a full solution
I use MS project as a basis for building all my project schedules. After which i import to another team managed web application. It is very useful when you have complex dependencies and over 50 activities. On the other hand, It is not easy to understand by team members with no prior knowledge in project management. It is not always the best idea to share mpp files with management as it will be hard for them to understand what is going on.
Read Timothy Sawah's full review
Litzi Saraí Gordils Ortuño profile photo
August 08, 2018

Review: "Microsoft Project: a great option to leverage the PM guidelines of your company!"

Microsoft Project is currently used to track the pace of the project and set up the guidelines of the PM structure. Since we have several projects on the go at same time, we decided to start using MS Project as a company standard app to collaborate and store the advancement stages of each project and how they line up with the company goals.
  • It's a great tool to manage resources, costs, people involved, assignments, and many other things.
  • It allows the integration with other MS Tools like Power BI, Excel and PowerPoint to strengthen & enhance project collaboration
  • The Office 365 version is such a great option to run into major collaborative scales, using Skype for Business conference or GoToMeeting hands-on.
  • Advanced features will require a moderate effort to conquer the complex learning curve.
  • Reports and Dashboards insights can turn your goals into unsatisfactory results, and this can make it hard to truly stay on top of projects.
  • You must have a standard version in all your company computers, or you may experience lack of visuals and features.
You can use MS Project to set a mature overview in your Project Management teams, but you need to conquer the steep learning curve, to avoid unexpected results, lack of task tracking, and mostly the isolation of people who run and own processes within the stages of your company projects. If you're looking for an intuitive tool to setup reports, as well as dashboard and real-time tracking of your project, Microsoft Project won't be the best option.
Read Litzi Saraí Gordils Ortuño's full review
Juan Felipe Patarroyo Montenegro profile photo
July 09, 2018

Microsoft Project Review: "It's an excellent tool for developing detailed project planning"

I work as a coordinator of a laboratory at the University of Puerto Rico. In this role, I have to supervise graduate students to complete their research, thesis work or any particular project. Also, when we are writing proposals for research we need to provide a detailed plan of our research project. MS Project helps me manage the time these kinds of project take. In addition, it helps to elaborate on Gantt charts using task dependencies in case something unexpected occurs and the project gets delayed.
  • The Gantt chart tool has many options to manage costs and time in an organized way.
  • The file created in MS Project may be exported to be used in another MS Office software.
  • Customer support coming from Microsoft is great. There is always an article or forum to help me.
  • I would like MS Project to be more user-friendly. There are some functionalities that keep being hard to use like the time organization.
  • It should have a way of exporting a nice and well presented PDF document to be shared. Today is very hard to create a nice image showing the goals.
  • I think it should have integration with internet and social networks in order to engage other people to work together in an easy way.
Microsoft Project is well suited for creating formal documents to manage a specific project. It provides a lot of calculations that help to create a detailed plan for a project. I think that Microsoft Project is not suited for non-formal organizations like a group of friends or students because it is very rigid to be used for huge projects with costs and that kind of things. I think that it will be better if it gets easier to use with more simple projects. At least, it should have the option to select templates for different kinds of projects.
Read Juan Felipe Patarroyo Montenegro's full review
Nichole Zimmerman, PHR profile photo
June 20, 2018

Microsoft Project Review: "Great for large projects"

We utilize Microsoft Project to organize and keep track of our business projects. It has been particularly helpful with managing our resource allocation, timelines, tasks, and dependencies. Specifically, I utilize it in HR to manage my own HR-related projects, but others in the business use it on large-scale multi-departmental initiatives.
  • Resource Allocation
  • Task Dependencies
  • Gantt Chart
  • Ease of use
  • Exporting to other formats
  • look and feel
It is hands down the best project tracker, especially if you have a large project with a lot of moving pieces and need a tool to help you get organized. If you are managing a small project with few resources, then it might be more trouble than it is worth to set everything up in a project - as it can take some time.
Read Nichole Zimmerman, PHR's full review
David Lisauskas profile photo
June 14, 2018

Microsoft Project Review: "MS Project, still clunky - still works :)"

Used for project managements slightly differently for each product. I used it to keep the input of my projects in order. Others in the company use it for managing the entire development project. Again, I mainly use it for managing my deliverables for all of the projects that I am involved in.
  • Gantt charts Gantt charts Gantt charts! It is the best tool for flexibility of creating and updating the scheduing charts
  • Flexibility and ease of updating relating certain tasks relating to or relying on other tasks.
  • The resource management tools are very useful
  • Integration with the other Microsoft tools that we also all use.
  • With not every team member using project, is difficult to share the full plan.
  • Not super intuitive as other MS products...but not that bad.
Suited very well for an overall visualization of the project for a medium or larger team. Regular updates are helpful to keep the group on track and again, great visualization of the entire project. It is well recognized so that moving from company to company could be familiar (like the other MS products). Not as good when real-time information changing frequently needs to be viewed by the entire team in real time. Reporting is not as intuitive as it could be.
Read David Lisauskas's full review
Richard Vizcaya profile photo
September 27, 2018

Review: "One of the Most Robust Planning and Controlling Projects Tool: Microsoft Project"

Microsoft Project is being used as the official software for creating project planning and controlling project resources across the whole organization.
  • Allows Collaboration using the File sharing option, this is very useful to share files with other members of your team.
  • Reporting is one of the strengths of Microsoft Project, allowing you to generate great reports with little effort.
  • Allows you to manage multiple Projects at the same time in the same organization; this can be achieved thanks to Master Project Plan feature.
  • Provides multiple views of the projects state, making use of Gantt Charts, resource usage charts, calendars.
  • The installation can't be done with the same Microsoft Office suite.
  • Requires significant training and experience with the tool to use it effectively.
  • Licenses cost could be somewhat expensive for little organizations.
Microsoft Project is well suited for medium projects where stakeholders need to access projects information constantly and the sharing of reports is very frequent.
Read Richard Vizcaya's full review
August 17, 2018

Microsoft Project Review: "Excellent project management tool"

Microsoft Project is currently being used to plan, manage, and coordinate the different steps/teams involved in the creation of web applications within our development group. It allows upper management to have a quick and easy way to view what is currently occurring within the development process. It also allows us to provide easy and quick information to stakeholders regarding the status of their project.
  • Task Management
  • Project Reporting
  • Project Workflows
  • As usual with Microsoft products, it can be difficult sometimes to find exactly what it is that you are looking for.
  • Would be nice if there was more integration with third-party products.
Microsoft Project is an essential tool for the easy management of any and all projects. It allows all parties involved to have easy access to the status of a project, and a view of the project as a whole. It is probably not required for quick development items such as support issues or tasks that take less than a week.
July 27, 2018

Microsoft Project Review: "Microsoft Office for Educational Projects"

People have the option to use Microsoft Project but it isn't required. For those who manage people and multiple simultaneous projects, it is super helpful to have as an option. We have multiple projects going on all through out the year that require the attention of several different people, so Microsoft Project is good for that.
  • Automated scheduling is super helpful, especially when you have hard deadlines.
  • It's extremely visually intuitive and you don't have to search around until you stumble into something.
  • It's an easy way to share information among a team that isn't necessarily all in the same place. Also nicer than Google Drive (which a lot of people use).
  • If work didn't pay for it, I don't think I would pay for it. There are free options I could use (for what we're doing, but for some people they might need it).
I think if you have a decent grasp on technology, you could definitely figure out how to use it. We do not use it to it's full functionality, but we also don't need to. I feel like if you have difficulty with technology it may be harder to figure out how to use the program.
May 26, 2018

Microsoft Project Review: "MS Project - A very good tool to manage projects from end to end"

I use MS Project in my group which is the Data Conversion group. We use Project to track and manage our workload which is specific to Database conversions. At any given time we have 50 to 75 active projects that start in Requirements, move on to Design and then Development, Testing and then cut over to Production.
  • MS Project is fairly easy to use. Adding Projects, Activities, Tasks, etc. are easy to add, and adjust when necessary.
  • It offers many different views, so based on your own needs, it is very flexible.
  • The reporting functionality is terrific. You can customize what you need to look at, from a full-blown project, or a more slimmed down version of just key milestones.
  • It can be a little more difficult to work with when you use all of the hooks, bells and whistles that are available. It will take some time for the Novice user to pick all of this up.
  • The columns (if all are used) offers a very crowded view, but I have never used all of these columns and most are hidden, so this may not be an issue to most users of MS Project
  • Graphics need to be brought into the 21st Century.
In my experience, MS Project can actually work for both small and large projects. As noted earlier, there are a lot of bells and whistles that can be used for more complex projects. It is really a flexible piece of software that is driven by the needs and wants of the PM and more importantly, the company.
Joshua Henderson profile photo
April 26, 2018

Review: "Microsoft Project - It is for everyone."

Microsoft Project is used on every project to coordinate with our customers to provide accurate timelines for all work related activites. From material orders, fabrication to installation and start-up, this software is utilized quite a bit.
  • Project Analysis / Estimation
  • Current status of Activities
  • Sub Contractor Coordination
  • Ease of use.
  • Integration from other software.
I like using Microsoft Project for coordinating between the different trades.
It could be more helpful if I was able to utilize other software with it, such as Excel or Word.
Read Joshua Henderson's full review

Task Management (60)
Resource Management (57)
Gantt Charts (58)
Scheduling (59)
Workflow Automation (43)
Team Collaboration (53)
Support for Agile Methodology (38)
6.0
Support for Waterfall Methodology (39)
Document Management (36)
6.6
Email integration (42)
Mobile Access (34)
6.6
Timesheet Tracking (35)
Change request and Case Management (29)
Budget and Expense Management (41)
Quotes/estimates (20)
Invoicing (17)
6.4
Project & financial reporting (36)
Integration with accounting software (22)

About Microsoft Project