Reliable, Stable, Typical
April 27, 2018
Reliable, Stable, Typical
Senior Marketing Project Manager
US Water FiltersConsumer Goods, 51-200 employees
Score 7 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Magento
We own and operate 4 separate eCommerce domains, 3 of which are platformed on Magento. 1/3 of our staff uses Magento daily for various reasons:
- Order Processing (Customer Service)
- Merchandising and Product Management
- User Experience Development
- Reporting and Analytics
- Internal Referencing or Search is easy within Magento. Accurately researching previously relevant information is intuitive and simple.
- Magento's category, product and customer information structure, while not being robust, is simple and accessible.
- The ability to assign permissions by role and create specific access for varying accountabilities allows for greater internal security and more specific accountabilities.
- Magento's "out of the box" solution (pre-internal development) has odd areas that are negatively affected by a lack of intuitive user options. For example, there are no means by which to assign a priority to products within a category page. The "default" sorting option for pages only allows for a few specific sort orders, with no available customization.
- The Magento Admin Panel as it relates to customer service is time-consuming and less than intuitive. It is often easier for CS Agents to "back into" a customer account to place an order on the site, rather than processing the orders through a more robust or usable Magento Admin portal.
- As a non-IT/Dev user, Magento errors messaging can be confusing, requiring translation from individuals or support staff.
- Magento has provided our primary platform for our eCommerce Business over the last four years. It has its limitations, but have been reliable. We have no immediate plans to move off of Magento.
- If and when we decide to launch the 4th domain and intend to produce a more personalized or customizable user-experience, we may search for a platform that supports a wider variety of visual and custom options "out of the box".
3dcart and Shopify are basic placeholder platforms used either to help wireframe projects that will eventually move to other platforms or were legacy platforms migrated to Magento after acquisitions. 3dcart provided an easier Customer Service Agent interface but failed to provide accessible search experiences within the platform.
Magento has been a reliable platform that allows for a considerable selection of app or plug-in choices while also integrating with internally developed solutions. There are many who finds its structure limiting and clunky, but for commodities and part search specific industries, it fits the bill nicely. Our IT/Dev team makes good use of its organizational options but does have to spend a significant amount of time building some of our necessary functions into the platform and continually keeping them up to date with a well-structured sprint schedule.
Adobe Commerce (Magento Commerce) Feature Ratings
Product catalog & listings
Bulk product upload
Abandoned cart recovery
Checkout user experience
Promotions & discounts