Shopify Reviews

Do you work for this company?

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Dan Hanna profile photo
I am currently in Shopify's partner program. I build web stores for clients who are looking to start there own E-Commerce store. We also help customers who already have Shopify stores. We help them grow and upgrade their current stores. I am able to manage all parts of Shopify without having the need for more employees.
  • Shopify makes it easy to create new development stores.
  • They also make it easy to request access to customers that already have a store.
  • Shopify is a one-stop shop for all e-commerce needs including domain and hosting services.
  • It would help if I could offer my clients more than a 14 day free trial.
  • The web design can become confusing on their platform.
  • It would be nice to have more app options.
Shopify is great for someone looking to become an affiliate marketer. They have multiple features to help you sell their product. I would say it is a little less appropriate for people who have limited web design experience. It can be a little confusing when you are first starting out. Overall though, I would say that it is easy to use.
Read Dan Hanna's full review
Kiara Elder profile photo
September 18, 2019

Gotta love Shopify

We use it as our main store on the internet and use their technology for our popup and local stores. We use their interface as our main customer interaction and sell point. We use it across our whole organization.
  • Great POS
  • great customer services
  • easy to navigate
  • easy to set up
  • cart discounts are hard to set up
  • you need additional apps for a lot of things. Sometimes they work well other times they do not.
  • The home page is often way to busy for a glance through to get basic information on daily sales
It is a great POS and online storefront. It is easy to manage and change with very little computer knowledge needed. They walk you through all of the setups and have a great question and answer section. They offer great business advice on how to grow. They are tech-heavy which can be challenging for those who are not tech-savvy.
Read Kiara Elder's full review
RICKY NG profile photo
We run Shopify Basic for eCommerce as a second storefront for our luggage business. It is used as an independent store platform alongside our BigCommerce platform. Given Shopify is a top eCommerce platform, we decided to try it and test out its performance compared to our BigCommerce store.
  • The pool of available premium themes for different sellers to purchase is deep.
  • Storefront speeds.
  • Comprehensive and deep pool of customised apps.
  • Default, out-of-the-box SEO with basic subscription is very poor over time (over 18 months) for search engine crawling.
  • The control panel speed for the merchant is very slow and nothing like the storefront speed.
  • Product creation listing is not fast or simple enough.
Shopify Basic is good for users with some level of coding knowledge who want minor theme adjustments and have SEO knowledge. For anyone completely new to Shopify, it is daunting and complicated to launch an eCommerce store without paying a professional to help set it up properly.
Read RICKY NG's full review
Shopify Plus is the version that we are using and it is the best online platform that we have found, bar none. We have used several different systems, including but not limited to OFBiz, Magento, and BigCommerce. Each of those other platforms have severe limitations or problems, and we have encountered none of them with Shopify. The best part for us is that we are saving thousands of $$ per month, from just hosting and general fees for merchant accounts to developers and server issues. And between the 3 active sites that we have on Shopify Plus, we are doing around $20M in sales. We love the app store and that really provides so many quick fixes or plugs gaps that we need and most of them cost little to nothing to add into your store. We couldn't be more pleased with Shopify and it has changed how we do things for the better!!!
  • Much more cost effective than any other platform that we have found.
  • Speed, speed, speed. The load times are much better than any other sites that we have used or found.
  • The app store provides solutions for any of the little changes or things that we want to do on our sites.
  • Customer service is fantastic, very helpful and quick to resolve issues that we have.
  • None that we have come across yet.
If you are wanting to run an online business, Shopify is the place to go. We have tried so many other platforms and nothing can compete with Shopify Plus. They have a slick interface, easy to use tools, and it is open enough for you to get in there and code to your heart's content. They have an awesome feature which allows you to setup wholesale clients and give them custom pricing that only they can see. It allows you to do both retail and wholesale on 1 site, which is great and has been very helpful for us to condense the number of sites that we need. The pricing is very fair too, especially when you work out multiple sites with them.
Marcio Vizoli profile photo
Shopify was the platform chosen to create our company's online sales site. We needed a platform that was intuitive and easy to operate, and that could be operated by several people in our team. We also wanted a platform that was highly customizable, where we could leave it with a unique identity without appearing generic or too much like other sites. Shopify seemed to fit perfectly in these points, and with it implemented we have all our online sales procedures automated, being able to realize sales with more efficiency, agility, and safety.
  • Shopify is intuitive. I believe that even this is what makes Shopify one of the platforms preferred by those who are in the beginning or starting your online store, as it is very easy to operate in it. In a few minutes after you add a product to your store, it already puts the sale online.
  • It is highly customizable. You can create your online store from scratch and leave it with the appearance you want, thus avoiding that a generic appearance similar to other sites that use the same platform.
  • The integration with several payment processors helps to avoid a loss of sales for not owning the client's preferred sales processor.
  • The price of Shopify is a little high, although it is a quality product and with great support. There are other platforms offering a more competitive price.
  • Telephone support is only available in English. For a platform present in sites from diverse places across the planet, they should offer multi-language assistance.
  • The reports generated by Shopify are acceptable, but could be better and have more details and information.
I believe that Shopify is a good choice for companies that start with online sales. It is safe, efficient, has good support, and everything you need. However, Shopify has a high price, and if you are thinking about saving money there are more suitable options that fit the most in the financial situation of a company that is starting with online sales.
Read Marcio Vizoli's full review
Mandy Cramer profile photo
I manage the Shopify for my brand producing enamel pins and accessories. I love Shopify because I can integrate my web shop with my social media like Instagram, Facebook, etc. 97% of all my sales come from Instagram and being able to have an easy way for my customers to click on products and easily access my very user-friendly website is probably the number one reason for my sales.
  • They are partnered with tons of companies to offer app integration and channels for sales
  • I love the Instagram integration that allows my buyers to buy directly via Instagram
  • It's easy to update my orders and fulfill them via the app or the website.
  • I'd love if they could lower the fees, but they're still better than Paypal.
  • I wish there were more free layout options.
  • I'd love a way to prevent certain items from being excluded from discount codes.
I love using Shopify overall as it has definitely given me a way to sell my products. I also feel like it is well-trusted and offers enough ways to pay for goods. Another positive point is that it is so simple to use and create websites, update, and make changes to.
Read Mandy Cramer's full review
Horacio Carcamo profile photo
Shopify is a great way to promote and distribute the company's products. It also functions as another way to sell in a digital way. If you do not feel like investing in a web developer, Shopify gives you the tools so you can create your landing site to start selling on day one.
  • You can list unlimited products on your site
  • No bandwidth or storage limit like other competitors
  • Share your account with peers
  • It has a great dashboard for order tracking and other features.
  • Web design might be a little bit antique
  • Customer service lacks detailed issue solving
  • Point of sale needs to generate more reports that can be useful for a business
Shopify was great when used for products that were at a discounted price and we want them to sell out by marking them with a low price. This prevents having too many low-priced items on our website. It is less appropriate if you want to raise a product as a startup.
Read Horacio Carcamo's full review
Ashley Gennett profile photo
We were trying to make our products (which are software based) easier or our users to purchase and look at. We also host a bi-annual conference, where Shopify has helped us list and highlight all products & items we are presenting on, to make it easier for our attendees to purchase them.
  • I like the ease of setting up a store front.
  • The ease of adding/editing items within the store.
  • The ease of adding SKU's and product information.
  • The only issue we had with the software was the fact I think we were looking for something that integrated further with our CRM & order entry system.
You have to be sure that this is right for you -- in our experience it did lack CRM & order entry integration which was a major issue for us internally. It created complications and more manual labor to enter everything into the system once an order had been placed.
Read Ashley Gennett's full review
Stacy Heitzman profile photo
Shopify is used to set up an eCommerce boutique for a non-profit to sell the products they create. It is being used across the entire organization. It allows for individuals that are not local to purchase items from the online store as if they had visited it.
  • Showcase Inventory
  • Analytics on Website & Sales
  • Integrations into other tools and marketing products
  • Widgets being implemented are difficult to understand at times
  • Needing coding experience to implement different tactics on website
  • No donation based buttons to also allow for 3rd party integration for non-profit use
Shopify is great for any type of online store. You can easily manage your inventory and track your sales each day. The website it also easy to set up and understand with basic web knowledge.
Read Stacy Heitzman's full review
I use Shopify at a small business boutique store that I work at. We use Shopify for our online sales platform. This means we are able to list all of our items on the website and also make sales online. This works great because we are able to boost our sales traffic and attract new customers from not only in the United States, but also from around the entire world.
  • One of the best strengths is being able to upload your entire store to Shopify. I am able to control what items go online, how much they are and even set specific shipping parameters.
  • The vast ability to change your website is an excellent plus. If I feel we need a full makeover of the website, I can simply go into the tools section and choose a different face for the front of the website. I can then customize it with different colors and fonts whatever way I want.
  • The support staff associated with Shopify is amazing. I have been in several group chats where individuals have helped with any questions we have had from shipping prices to set up a new page.
  • One con would be that there is so much in Shopify that it can be confusing to someone. It takes a lot of practice and can lead to frustration if you do not understand what you are doing.
I believe Shopify is well suited because an individual is able to attract buyers from all over the world. You can charge different prices for your products' shipping based on the buyer's location. In addition, one can learn about where the consumers are located by data collection through Shopify. Another item that is great with Shopify is if you stock-out of an item and cannot remove it from the website in time before someone purchases it, the refund process is very easy and you do not even have to capture the payment automatically to help prevent stock-outs.
After comparing eComm solutions for a client, we went with Shopify as the preferred solution when building their site. They were a startup and the ease of management of products, lack of hassle of site maintenance, and built-in integration w/ Amazon were the major factors that made us go w/ Shopify.
  • Product details and listings is simple and straightforward
  • Inventory Management is robust and easy to grasp
  • integration with the most common payment processors and Amazon listing are great
  • Site/Store customization is difficult - it's page templates are based on an XML-like markup that you have to learn to do any page design edits
  • There is a store/library of premium site themes to purchase, but the offerings are limited when compared to the comparable ocean of themes for something like WordPress
  • Since custom development for Shopify is less popular - it's difficult to find help if have customization q's or get stuck. There isn't a very active Shopify dev community
Shopify is a good solution for a small- to mid-size business that needs an easy-to-manage eCommerce solution. Since it is not easy to customize the design of a Shopify site, I'd strongly recommend just selecting one of the premium themes to start out with and then hire a specialist to do custom design later when you're making enough profit to warrant a redesign.
As a small company, we needed an easy solution to quickly sell our products online. Shopify provides this for us while being affordable and user-friendly. Their support is great too in case you have questions! We use Shopify across many departments (support, operations/fulfillment, finance, and marketing) to fulfill orders and track our sales.
  • Their online help center and customer support are great. I've found most of my answers online, from their help desk. When I've needed extra help they've always responded to my emails in a prompt fashion.
  • Their basic reporting is sufficient and easily digestible for small and medium-sized companies.
  • They offer many integration options with fulfillment providers so you can quickly move online sales into shipped orders.
  • They charge a bit too much for their premium subscription.
Using Shopify has allowed my current company and past company quickly offer an e-commerce platform to sell our consumer goods. Shopify is easy to implement, links to our fulfillment provider and has various integrations with our support CRM, accounting tools, and the like. If you're looking for a quick, out-of-the-box solution, Shopify is a good choice.
To sell posters. Small business with 2 employees.
  • Competitive pricing
  • A cornucopia of addons to suit your needs
  • Basic user interface that anyone can adapt to
  • Since I was an early adopter of shopify and our company's needs were basic, they eventually eliminated the weaknesses that we addressed
We are located in the same city as Shopify, so we were invited multiple times to sit in on user experience meetings. All of our functional requirements were met over the course of these meetings. It's hard to point out any weaknesses with Shopify these days, they really set the bar for ecommerce platforms.
Marlon Seijas profile photo
I must confess that I use this product only to carry out a personal project of a third person. My company has its own web page. In this sense, I want to tell you that during the time we were in this project, it was very useful for me and I learned it for myself. I have always played in the role of a computer, but when you discover the world, you may see something on your computer screen and you can go shopping virtually or do other things, and your amazed. I said that I have been reborn. I have discovered the communication highway.
  • One of the pluses with Shopify is that it offers unlimited storage and bandwidth. This can be helpful because you have no limitations on how quickly high-quality images, video or other content loads on your site, and you can have as many of these things on your website as you need since there’s no storage limit
  • This eCommerce platform integrates with online stores like Amazon and eBay, so if you’d like to sell your merchandise through these tools, Shopify can help you track sales and inventory.
  • With Shopify, creating and launching an online store is a matter of seconds. An important advantage is the practicality to open an online trade in a very short time. The platform guides you step by step in the process of setting up your own store, customize it to your liking, develop the design and, finally, add your products
  • Some of the features of Shopify are not very customizable. There is great adaptability in terms of design and payment gateways. However, the Checkout process is more standardized, it only gives you room for some modifications of the appearance.
  • There are free hosting platforms and, in front of Shopify, the price could be a disadvantage. But free options will never have the same characteristics, support and benefits of a payment platform. It is necessary to evaluate what is intended to be achieved and the business plan in a medium or long term
  • The helpline telephone service is currently only available in English, as are several parts of its website and the informative materials.
  • We have in mind that the models are limited and we run the risk that another merchant has, in appearance, the same view or mode
In the beginning, this platform was ideal for small businesses, however, it has already proven the falsity of such a claim, because with the service package plus stores with very high traffic can work better with Shopify than with open source software. Although, working with open source guarantees greater control of content and background changes.
Read Marlon Seijas's full review
Daniel Choi profile photo
September 07, 2018

Easy eCommerce with Shopify

Shopify was being used across the whole organization. I used it to list a curated list of products. The reason I used Shopify was because it allowed me to create a website in a clean manor with minimal time and also accept payments. It also had a free trial of 60 days which allowed me to play around with the design of my website before launching live.
  • Easy to begin using
  • Lots of tutorials available
  • Offers nice layouts even with free themes
  • All the apps make it pricey. I wanted to add things like currency converters and other email marketing which would have bumped my monthly fee up by 100%.
  • A low barrier to entry means there is more competition in the eCommerce space.
Shopify is suited for people who are beginning ecommerce. They offer the best way to make a website and integrate payments. It is also suited for businesses who have expertise in their products but not necessarily in website design and coding.
Read Daniel Choi's full review
August 20, 2018

Easy for ecommerce!

It is being used across the sales department. We built us a shop online and are selling everything we can on it. It addresses the problem of having to go through Amazon or setting up shop on Craigslist. This has made us a lot more successful in selling things. We also don't have to go to many trade shows anymore s it has saved us money there.
  • There are many options to build your storefront the way you want it to look.
  • The number of apps you can add for free is awesome. Inventory counter, customer service, help us be better.
  • One of the best things is their support line is really good and helpful.
  • The transaction fees can be hurtful to the company.
  • The apps are great but they can add up when you start buying a lot.
  • Some of the coding that you have to know can be challenging if you really want your store to look like you want it to.
A small business trying to boost their online presence is very helpful. It makes it easy to sell your goods without trying very hard. It can tell you very many helpful things also when people visit your site. I think if you had more of a product that needed to be hands on it would not help your business as much.
Shopify was identified for a lead generation and conversion initiative for one of our business teams. Some of the requirements included the ability to process no-charge orders (samples) as well as e-commerce. The ability to automate communications throughout the buyer's journey (e.g. cart-abandonment communications, order confirmations and follow-ups) was a must-have. Additionally, the system needed to hold the capability to integrate with various third-party shipping applications (e.g product fulfillment). Because of the comfort in using the platform, Shopify POS was used by inside sales stakeholders as well as marketers who were transacting at industry tradeshows, providing value far beyond initial scope.
  • User interface - simple to navigate customer data, and segment (e.g. how many customers have placed more than 1 order during a campaign).
  • Reporting - Robust data with the ability to segment.
  • Discount/promotional code management and measuring effectiveness.
  • Delay in exporting orders. some orders can be directly downloaded while logged into the system. often I wanted to look at full order history which involved an emailed .zip link to be shared. probably our servers, but it took longer than desired.
  • More advanced filtering on the orders. Often times we would like to segment/filter a multi-order vs. initial order and want to do so directly in the order tab.
Testing e-commerce capabilities, the Shopify system is very intuitive and has a very friendly user interface. While there is a robust community/eco-system that can be integrated, first identifying your technology stack is incredibly helpful before selecting a platform to know you can list products, update products, sell, fulfill, and follow-up.
Jeff Moriarty profile photo
We currently use Shopify for one of our websites and are in the process of moving our two Magento websites over to Shopify. Everyone in our organization uses Shopify in one way or another. From the customer service team, to the writers, to the marketers to the purchasers. Everyone that uses it loves it. Way more than using Magento.
  • Ease of Use - Very user friendly. Anyone can pick it up within a couple days and know how to do almost everything.
  • Great Customer Service - The help is excellent. Also, they have a huge community where people are happy to help.
  • Ton of Add-Ons - You can find a ton of add-ons and modules to use that can be installed by you. They don't require developers.
  • Inexpensive - Because it's easy to use and doesn't require a ton of developer time, it's so much cheaper to run.
  • Themes - While you can find 3rd party themes, they need to expand their own offering of themes.
  • Reporting - While reporting is ok, I would like to see better reporting with the basic programs.
  • Plus Cost - The cost of Plus is too high. Maybe give all of the developer options for a certain price, and then if the customer wants the help/team with marketing work, there is a higher cost program.
It is perfect for small to medium size businesses. Large $10 million plus companies may be better suited for Magento because of their budgets and team size, but if you are just getting online, have a small or medium sized company and not unlimited budgets, than Shopify is the best choice for you.
Read Jeff Moriarty's full review
Ray Doustdar profile photo
We currently are running our Liquid Vitamins business of www.buiced.com using Shopify, and I know could NOT be any happier. It is BY FAR the best of breed solution out there.
  • Very easy to use overall platform that does NOT require any coding skills for the most part.
  • The APP Store and platform has now enabled SO MANY other amazing aspects to add to my customer experience when they buy off our website, that I feel like we rival Amazon.com in terms for fulfillment, actually, we BEST them!
  • Their customer service is excellent and always available. They really do a great job.
  • Honestly nothing
I already DO recommend this to everyone that is thinking about launching an E-Commerce business.
Read Ray Doustdar's full review
Grace Dvornik profile photo
I consulted for a start-up clothing company and we used Shopify to set up our website and online store, as well as Shopify POS. Shopify provided a great way for a first time business owner to set up and manage her website, store, inventory, etc. It allowed all of the data to be collected and reviewed in one space. It was simple yet effective, easy to navigate and organize.
  • simple but professional format - you don't need a degree in software programming to use it
  • conveniently compiles all data in one place
  • easy to use and edit information
  • At this time, I do not have a suggestion for improvement
Great format, easy to use, great customer service with online tutorials and FAQ page, convenient tool as users are able to access all data on-the-go through the app.
Read Grace Dvornik's full review
Tony Phan profile photo
Shopify is used for my start-up fashion shop. This allows me to push the products out to the market effectively, especially in an e-commerce booming market like the Philippines. The setup process is relatively easy for a non-tech person to set up which makes Shopify ideal for business owners who want to create a strong online platform with the purpose of pushing out their products online.
  • Inventory management: Managing inventory on Shopify is hassle free, the only part that will take time is the input of your inventory to the Shopify inventory.
  • Customer Management: Details customers fill in when surfing your website are all recorded and you will be able to access to this data for marketing purposes.
  • Order management: hassle free checkout which makes it easier to convert sales from visits.
  • Lack of good website templates: There are plenty of templates you can choose from but unfortunately, it is not free. And the free ones are not good enough.
  • Integration with Facebook Store: if you want to connect Shopify with Facebook Store on your business fan page, you might have a problem since sometimes the inventory on Facebook cannot match the inventory on Shopify.
  • Limited payment options: depends on where your business is, you will have different available payment options and it's extremely hard if you want to use a local payment gateway.
If you have some products that you want to push out to the market, let's say you are a start-up business that does not have a lot of capital to invest in a coder to develop your own website. This creates a perfect start for your business website that looks good, is responsive and professional enough for your customers to make a purchase.
Read Tony Phan's full review
Gary Gray profile photo
I had a client who was looking to transition to a new commerce platform from an established website for their decade old business. Their previous website was cumbersome to maintain on an IT level, too complex for staffers to manage (add, update, delete) products, and clunky and dated for consumers.

Shopify handily addresses all these issues by providing a robust, user-friendly backend and stylish front-end for consumers.
  • Ease of product creation and management.
  • Zero ongoing IT maintenance issues.
  • Streamlined and stylish consumer-facing website.
  • Product categories and subcategories are time consuming and non-standard to implement.
  • Building out the front end was more time consuming than expected.
  • Available plugins of widely varied quality.
For small businesses selling a set range of products, Shopify is a dream to set up and manage. If you're not looking to hire an IT department, or deal wth web developer, and are looking to outsource all that work, Shopify is your best bet.

Shopify's powerful commerce tools can make your online store ready to compete with pretty much anything else on the web, and can scale to whatever traffic your store generates, which is a great comfort when your products go viral and suddenly sales explode.
Read Gary Gray's full review
Scott Markman profile photo
I would recommend using Shopify if you have no experience with ecommerce programming and your company makes less than $2 million in revenue. It is the best small to medium business platform out there and easy to use. Plus, there are a ton of widgets and plugins that can easily be added. You can easily change the theme and make edits.
I say $2 million because if your company makes more than that, you should be able to higher a freelance developer or in-house as a matter of fact to use Magento. Magento is free and has more customization ability.

• Can quickly launch a store, even within a day
  • No need for development work with lots of themes & plugins
  • Low cost, between $29 to $79 a month
  • Shopping cart is hard to customize and it's hosted by Shopify separately
  • Transaction fees can get high if you have a lot of transactions
  • To do any special customizations, you will need a developer and the platform is somewhat rigid with capabilities.
Read Scott Markman's full review
Kristie Quach profile photo
Shopify is used at the company to market to clients for products they want to have displayed on social media for the company's strategy as a whole.
  • Displaying or marketing products
  • Convey interest to direct traffic to website
  • Browse available products from the company
  • It could do with a change in the UX
  • Improve how people view the process versus purchasing on social media
  • Functionality can be updated in terms of how the products are marketed or embedded
It's great for exposure on a company's products and what inventory is available.
Read Kristie Quach's full review
Brian Chung profile photo
We use Shopify for our online e-commerce store. We use it throughout our whole organization. It's solving the business problem of having an easy e-commerce solution. The back-end system makes it easy for everyone to use. We have a bunch of Shopify sites for each of our brands that our company uses.
  • Easy back-end system
  • Beautiful and customizable templates
  • Collecting payments
  • I'd like to see more free templates that are similar to Squarespace
  • Better designs for websites that only have 1-3 products
  • Make customization easier for non-tech savvy people
Shopify is good if you have a lot of products and are looking for an e-commerce store. It handles many products better than Squarespace, and is easier to manage/learn than websites like Volusion. It's a great website for starting off. It feels less appropriate if you only have 1 product - use something like Squarespace instead.
Read Brian Chung's full review

Product catalog & listings (51)
Product management (49)
Bulk product upload (39)
Branding (51)
Mobile storefront (51)
Product variations (50)
Website integration (47)
Visual customization (51)
CMS (41)
Abandoned cart recovery (45)
Checkout user experience (48)
eCommerce security (50)
9.6
Promotions & discounts (49)
Personalized recommendations (32)
Inventory management (49)
Shipping (45)
Custom functionality (47)

About Shopify

Shopify is a commerce platform that allows anyone to easily sell online, at a retail location, and everywhere in between. Shopify offers a professional online storefront, a payment solution to accept credit cards, and the Shopify POS application to power retail sales. Shopify is used by over 90,000 retailers in 100 different countries.

As a SaaS, Shopify's stability and always-on availability are touted. The eCommerce site presents the customary inventory and presentation controls typical of eCommerce solutions. Items are organized into collections, or using smart collections customize groupings to fit the merchandise (e.g. less than $20 items, gift ideas, bundles, etc.). Content management features (e.g. a blog) are present for tailoring the look and interactivity of the site.

For selling online, the $14 Starter pack includes a basic eCommerce site with 1GB of storage, chat & email support, and support for 25 listings. The $29 Basic pack includes POS and unlimited products, as well as fraud analysis tools. The $79 Professional Pack bumps storage space from 1GB to 5GB and adds gift cards, professional reports, and abandoned cart recovery. Finally, Unlimited, at $179 per month, makes space unlimited, and provides advanced reporting and real-time carrier shipping.