Complete PPM Solution
Updated October 11, 2019
Complete PPM Solution
Score 7 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Micro Focus PPM (formerly HP PPM)
In my organization, Micro Focus PPM is used by Project Managers, Business/Technical Analysts, Test Engineers and Developers. Starting with a proposal from Business unit, Project Managers (if it concerns more people and units) or Business/Technical Analysts (if it concerns a small unit or group) use this tool as a central management platform. All documentations and KPIs are managed over this tool. All resources are attached to projects and kept track of timesheets. All deployments (change management) are managed/directed by this tool.
- Easy to manage tasks among project's stakeholders
- Satifying resource management capabilities
- Complete dashboard (fully customizable screens and integrations)
- sometimes it needs some walkthroughs over screens in order to achieve a task
- Unable to emphasize the important fields of pages (customization may result in messy screens)
- Old GUI style avoids the advantage of new technologies
- The price is high per user, so the ROI might take longer
- Complete solution (easy to integrate with other HP products to achieve other requirements)
- May need to build new teams for reporting and operational requirements
The vision of supporting DevOps, complementary functionalities with other software products of Micro Focus, native support for agile/waterfall methodologies made Micro Focus to be evaluated as more valuable against other PPM products. The complementary functionality with the other enterprise software products of Micro Focus (ALM, ITSM family etc) especially had a major effect on the selection.
Support is not so fast as an enterprise expects and you should be prepared to resolve some problems by yourself. If you have more customizations, this situation becomes complicated and it would be better to maintain an inhouse development team to support customization development. Sometimes it requires more time in order investigate a problem on a customized environment.
Do you think Micro Focus PPM (formerly HP PPM) delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Micro Focus PPM (formerly HP PPM)'s feature set?
Did Micro Focus PPM (formerly HP PPM) live up to sales and marketing promises?
I wasn't involved with the selection/purchase process
Did implementation of Micro Focus PPM (formerly HP PPM) go as expected?
Would you buy Micro Focus PPM (formerly HP PPM) again?
Micro Focus PPM is well suited if Business and/or Technical Units do not require too many customizations (or complex requirements) on provided screens. Customizations result in messy screens and sometimes those screens may not be working properly as intended. Some users may assume that the screens are very flexible likewise in-house developed screens but most of the time this may fake the Customization Team during the implementation of new screens by resulting not-functioning screens
Using Micro Focus PPM (formerly HP PPM)
1000 - sales, marketing, procurement, business requirement management, product management, development, test/quality management, operation, analysis
- requirement management
- roadmap management
- deployment management
- capacity management
- resource management
- using PPM as a functional size measurement tool (Cosmic Function Point) - this helps as forecaster as well
Evaluating Micro Focus PPM and Competitors
Yes - There was an inhouse-implemented solution for project and portfolio management. It got slower and unable to meet the requirements of IT and business stake holders. Some customizations have made the system bulky and it was very hard to fulfill even a small operation. Besides these factors, the new projects were big and requiring a more comprehensive platform in order to achieve a goal
Micro Focus PPM Implementation
phase based delivery and working closely with business and vendor resources are vital
- Implemented in-house
- Third-party professional services
One of HP's local vendor
Micro Focus PPM Support
Using Micro Focus PPM
Requires technical support
Lots to learn
- main project and resource management screen if too many customizations are available