Overall Satisfaction with OnBase by Hyland
I implemented Hyland Onbase as both a simple and complex document management system across many different market segments for the sole purpose of making scanned and virtual documents easily searchable and accessible. The workflow capabilities of the product as well as the Unity web interface and the ability to seamlessly tie into most 3rd party applications to allow easy associated information lookups within Onbase led to a very dynamic and game-changing product over how companies previously managed their information.
- Integration with third party applications is amazing. Being able to get documents and information through email, folder importing, mainframe screens, other applications, and xml/csv streams was simple, powerful, and effective.
- The Application Enabler utility is one of the best I've seen which allows integration with 3rd party applications to easily pull up and locate related information within an Onbase system.
- The administration of the platform is simple and with minimal training can be maintained by a regular system administrator.
- The Administrator interface, while powerful, is antiquated and has so many options to chose from it can be overwhelming at times trying to find what you need in order to accomplish a task.
- The Unity application is a work in progress and is missing out of some features that are much better in the thick client, such as scanning documents in at high volume. This has improved over time, though.
- Hyland Onbase is a content management platform and, while it does handle ingestion and scanning processes, does require a 3rd party application to really complete the whole package. Hyland's Perceptive platform or Kofax Capture complement it greatly.
- Initial licensing of the product is expensive but again, this is an enterprise platform and should be treated as such.
- Onboarding is relatively straight forward once staff is trained on the product and the barrier of entry is often very low for having front-line staff utilize the product and see rapid returns.
- Obtaining a reseller with experience implementing the product can greatly reduce the amount of time needed to get the product stood up and providing value to your company.
OnBase is a very extensible platform that can do anything as long as you're willing to pay for the add-on for it. Many of the other competitors out there do content management well but don't easily integrate, or integrate at all, with third party systems. I highly recommend Hyland Onbase to be the first product you look at when evaluating a content management system.
Hyland Onbase is simple, effective, and just works for when it comes to content management systems. Many companies rely on static folder structures for storing information or Excel/Access tables which can easily become a mess whereas with Onbase every document is unique and access can be restricted/audited depending on user permissions. It allows for a company to easily take control of their information and be more productive.