Overall Satisfaction with Oracle SOA Cloud
Oracle SOA suite is used by many of my clients for everything from manufacturing to shipping to payment processing. It is used across the entire organization to provide services to multiple systems both internal and external. The Oracle SOA framework allows for easy implementation of just about any type of service that a business could need. Business rules and data flows are easy to implement with this world class suite of products. While there is a bit of a learning curve to people new to SOA it is well worth the investment.
- SOA Suite when combined with Oracle ExaLogic will get you the best performance and reliability. Even without ExaLogic Oracle SOA Suite is the best of breed n the SOA space.
- Once you SOA Suite is in place and your developers are trained in developing services you are able to develop new reusable functionality quickly.
- Oracle SOA Suite provides Business Activity Monitoring that gives you a real time look at you business and the processes that drive it.
- The biggest problem with the Oracle SOA Suite is the installation and configuration of the product. There is much room for improvement here.
- The startup time for large implementations could be improved.
- The development and deployment lifecycle could use some improvement.
- When developing a new application you can start with a good percentage of the application's functionality already built and available to the developers. This reduces the cost to implement new applications or rework existing applications.
- In early stages of a SOA migration you will not see a very good ROI but if you stick with and you development team embraces the SOA architecture ROI will increase over time.
- To get the most out of the early implementation of SOA the first services you should implement are those that are used in most applications.
In my opinion there are other products that can implement SOA but the Oracle SOA Suite is the most comprehensive product available. I have not encountered many clients that disagree. While they may sometime moan and groan about the complexity they know that Oracle provides some of the best support available. The talent pool for Oracle SOA Suite has matured in recent years and there are a large number of developers and administrators to choose from.
Oracle SOA suite is well suited for most business processes but real-time systems such as MES systems are at the mercy of the processing speed.