My experience with Prophix
Updated April 27, 2016
My experience with Prophix
Score 2 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Prophix
We implemented the budgeting software last year with the impression that it was a user friendly software unique in it's design that the user could learn it within eight weeks and run with it. This was not the case. The software is not user friendly and requires programming knowledge. It was very complicated to use and we were at the mercy of the consultant to design our budget model which ended up taking over six months to build and was overly complicated. They hire consultants with Industrial Engineering degrees and zero hands on budgeting experience that lends itself to misunderstanding and over complicating things. I am looking for their expertise to guide us along the way to build a better mouse trap not the other way around. Last year's budgeting process was the most difficult in my career as the turnaround to make simple changes required several days of work with both the consultant and my budget team. The consultant ended up doing all of the budget model changes as we did not have time to learn it on the fly last year resulting in our lack of knowledge of what he was doing and just became a spectator. The software is being used by finance only with the hopes of pushing it out to the departments in the future. The nice thing about Prophix is that we are able to budget at the employee level.
- Employee level budgeting
- Reporting is good
- Interfaced with our GL system for live updates
- Customer Service/Help Desk is understaffed and response times can sometimes takes days.
- Need to update product design to be more user friendly and windows based so there is less of a reliance on consultants to make changes. You should be able to copy and paste changes or formulas to save a lot of time and work.
- The Product should offer a test environment free of charge instead of requiring a separate fee. Other products offer unlimited test environments free of charge.
- The should require their consultants to have hands on budgeting experience to better understand the users needs to build a better mouse trap.
- Prophix offered to fix our broken and complex budget model after our budget season ended with additional free consultation to review the whole budget model and rewrite our user guide and training.
- There are still some bugs in the budget model but my budget team has a much better understanding of the budget processes and tables to create our budget this year.
- We are able to run ad hoc reports relatively quickly and easily resulting in better customer service.
Prophix is deficient to other budgeting software I've reviewed such as Budget Maestro and Adaptive Insights as they are windows based and feature drop down menus and copy and paste feature. The also offer better auditing trail and vendor level budgeting. I was sold on Prophix based on their representation that their software was user friendly and easy to learn which as was not the case for us.