May 05, 2015
Score 9 out of 10
- Accounts Rec
Overall Satisfaction with QuickBooks Premier
I use QuickBooks to run most aspects of my business, billing, payroll, general ledger. It lets me run my business quickly and efficiently from one platform. As a sole practitioner, I don't have a lot of time to waste on the back office. I appreciate the efficiency I get from QuickBooks.
- Invoicing. Items can be pre-loaded with text to make creating an invoice fast and efficient.
- Memorized Transactions. All types of transactions can be recorded repeatedly by QuickBooks with little effort on my part. This also lets me avoid missing monthly bills or retainer invoices.
- Writing checks is one of the best tasks. If you can write a physical check, you can write a check in QuickBooks. The auto fill and auto recall make this task exceptionally easy and fast.
- Payroll needs to be streamlined. There are about 5 steps to creating a payroll check, 2 (the confirmations to create and print the checks) are redundant.
- Payroll tax payment corrections are too complicated. Adjusting the balances for discounts, etc. are cumbersome.
- Using the find for an amount could be better. There is no default, you have to choose less than, greater than or equal. The default should be equal. The others should be an option.
- Cash management is quick and efficient. I can plan out my month and quarter in a short amount of time and know where my shortfalls will be.
- Payroll is my one downfall. It takes a number of steps and for 2 employees, I don't think it should take as long as it does.
- Accounts receivable helps me quickly check the status of my clients on one page.
- Bill.com,PaySimple,QuickBooks Online,Replicon TimeAttend,quicken
QuickBooks Premier handles most of my business functions efficiently in one package. It is not my "everything." I use Replicon for time rather than QuickBooks. I don't want my WIP data interfering with my accounting. I use PaySimple for it's web interface and back office processing. I don't have security issues since I don't have any credit card data in my possession. With today's identity theft environment, I have to protect myself as much as I can. Not having credit card data in my accounting software lets me sleep much better at night. Quicken will do basic accounting but does not have all the double entry accounting systems contained in QuickBooks. QuickBooks Online does much of the basic business functions but I don't like the pricing structure. As a professional accountant, that is very important to me. Bill.com provided a good service but the ability of QuickBooks to add bills and receipts to transactions makes it redundant.
I have used the Accountants Version of QuickBooks with my clients, but I don't feel it provides me with any additional benefits. I can work as efficiently using a copy of my clients' data with the limitations of the Accountants Version. Since I visit many of my clients as a part of my service, it is also unnecessary. I make adjustments and suggestions to clients during my appointment. They appreciate the hands on and my attention.
- Don't do it at all
If the business will have inventory or costing, I usually use caution in recommending QuickBooks. While it will perform the tasks for inventory and costing, the setup is critical to getting the information you need correctly. Once started, it is difficult to make corrections since changes are applied retroactively to all transactions.