Accounts Payable Software
These products won a Top Rated award for having excellent customer satisfaction ratings. The list is based purely on reviews; there is no paid placement, and analyst opinions do not influence the rankings. Read more about the Top Rated criteria.
Accounts Payable Software TrustMap
TrustMaps are two-dimensional charts that compare products based on trScore and research frequency by prospective buyers. Products must have 10 or more ratings to appear on this TrustMap.
Sage Intacct is a cloud ERP system targeted at high-growth small and medium-sized businesses. Intacct includes applications for core financials and accounting, purchasing, order management, and financial reporting and business intelligence. It also integrates with 3rd party software…
Webexpenses is a global provider of online expense management software to businesses of all sizes across 70+ countries. The software is used across all industries, including retail, finance, technology, construction, and not for profit. Features of the Webexpenses desktop and mobile…
MIP Fund Accounting™ is a configurable fund accounting solution. The solution includes functionality for fund accounting, procurement, budgeting, payroll, human resources, timekeeping, fixed asset management, grant management, and dashboards for nonprofits and government agencies.…
QuickBooks Online is a SaaS version of the QuickBooks product. It contains all of the features found in the local version. Higher-priced plans include greater automation, payment management, inventory and time tracking, and analytics features.
QuickBooks Online Advanced is a SaaS-based accounting software designed to scale with growing businesses. It includes the functionalities of QuickBooks Online, as well as more robust business analytics, customization, and resource management.
Quickbooks Desktop Pro is accounting software from Intuit, Inc. It includes core accounting features, plus analytics and exportable reports. It is offered in on-premise and SaaS forms.
FreshBooks is an accounting service for small businesses. The solution enables users to send and manage invoices, track billable time and collect online payments. The vendor’s value proposition this that their solution provides a straightforward service that simplifies the billing…
QuickBooks Desktop Premier is an installed version of QuickBooks for general business, contractors, manufacturing and warehouse accounting, as well as nonprofits, professional services, and retail.
Certify is travel and expense management software developed by the company of the same name in Maine, which merged with Chrome River in 2019 to form Emburse.
Concur Invoice is an invoice management solution for accounts payable. It captures invoices from any format and automates invoice processing, so that users can streamline purchase requests and approvals.
Financial Edge NXT is a cloud accounting solution tailored for nonprofits that provides a general ledger, projects, grants, endowments, accounts payable and receivable, fixed assets, banking, and more. It offers real-time reporting, with one-click drill-down functionality and export…
Tipalti is a cloud-based platform that enables mass payment management and execution to networked partners (e.g. affiliates, suppliers, vendors, crowdsource, freelancers, and content publishers) across international borders. Payment can be in any local currency, through a variety…
Quickbooks Desktop for Mac is an accounting software designed for Mac users. It is designed to integrate with Apple iCloud. It provides core accounting features in line with the rest of the Quickbooks Desktop product line.
Zoho Books is an accounting solution that is designed to help small businesses manage their finances. This solution includes dashboards and a wide variety of reports. Business users can automate tasks and set up custom workflows. The vendor offers a 14 day free trial.
Payoneer headquartered in New York offers a global payment solution enabling business to manage international payments, bill or request payments from clients, receive payments through popular marketplaces, and pay freelance workers no matter where they are.
AccountEdge is a small business accounting software for Mac and Windows users. AccountEdge allows business owners to organize, process, and report on their financial information. Its features include accounting, integrated payroll, sales and purchases, contact management, inventory,…
Esker offers their eponymous document automation platform, for paperless ordering and billing, and accounts payable / accounts receivable (AP / AR). It can be delivered as a cloud offering (as Esker on Demand), or on-premise (as Esker DeliveryWare).
Nexonia, by Emburse, is a tool designed to streamline employee expense reporting. It is designed to increase visibility into spendings and make the expense tracking, approval, and reporting process paperless. Nexonia was part of a merger with Certify in 2017 and is now part of the…
BlueSnap is a global eCommerce platform with flexible integration options and PCI Level 1 security. Additional capabilities include BlueSnap’s AR Automation Software (formerly Armatic, acquired October 2019) which streamlines the entire quote-to-cash process, and its Subscription…
Brex headquartered in San Francisco offers a corporate card for expenses, ecommerce, as well as rewards card, and travel expense management.
Melio is a small business-oriented Accounts Payable tool from the company of the same name in Tel Aviv. It is presented as a service that helps small businesses keep up with business. A B2B payments experience and payment workflow designed to be so simple it helps businesses focus…
Finnish company Basware offers Purchase to Pay (P2P), their flagship e-procurement application which also features accounts payable (AP) Automation, Contract Lifecycle Management, travel and expense management, and supporting analytics.
What is Accounts Payable Software
Accounts payable (AP) software is a centralized platform that manages an organization’s relationship with its creditors. It automates invoice processing, payables approvals, and payment execution. The software identifies errors, tracks invoices, and improves the efficiency and accuracy of AP work, allowing accountants to handle large numbers of invoices. This improves fund management and reduces manual errors. Mobile AP software features expand the number of potential invoice approvers and allow anyplace, anytime access.
AP software is used by accounting departments to manage the account payables process, by managers and executives to monitor AP activities, and by procurement teams to match purchase orders with payables.
AP online portals allow vendors and suppliers to submit invoices and track the status of their payments for the products and services they provided.
AP automation software can be delivered as a stand-alone product that provides advanced features for complex AP operations, as part of an Accounting Software suite, or as a component of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System.
AI is being used to analyze large volumes of AP transactions for error detection and AP trends. AP AI enhances accuracy and speeds up processing times.
Cloud-based platforms are increasingly popular. They are scalable, readily incorporate new features, support ERP systems integration, and make it easier to get up and running quicker.
Accounts Payable Software Features
Accounts Payable software should have most or all of the following features:
- Invoice submission - automated, data transfer, data capture, and data entry
- Invoice processing and tracking
- Portals for vendor/supplier invoicing
- Purchase Order (PO) and invoice matching
- Payment management – invoice and payment order matching, tracking, and approval
- Approval workflow – approver permissions, templates/custom approval workflows, automated approval, and manual approval criteria, recurring payment automation, payment prioritization
- Payment automation – electronic EFT or ACH, automated check printing
- Due date alerts
- Duplicate payment alerts
- Vendor / Supplier Management – terms, payment account details, contact information
- Document Management
- Accounting regulation and standards compliance
- AP reporting, dashboards, data visualization
- 1099 creation and distribution
- Integration with accounting, ERP suites
- Cloud-based, SaaS, on-premises options
Accounts Payable Software Comparison
Consider the following when purchasing account payable software solutions.
- Features: Most accounting solutions include accounts payable features but do not necessarily provide the functionality to handle complex AP processes. Standalone AP products provide the tools to support more complex AP operations.
- Integrations: When purchasing standalone AP software ensure that it will integrate with your existing accounting and ERP systems.
- Industry: There are AP platforms that are specifically built to support retail, manufacturing, or restaurants.
- Scale: AP solutions that are appropriate for small to midsize businesses may not be suitable for enterprise-level organizations. Can the software readily scale as your business grows?
Entry-level accounts payable software as a cloud-based subscription service starts at around $39 a month per user and goes up to over $150 a month. Pricing can increase dramatically depending upon the features offered and the scale of the operation. Enterprise-level products usually require obtaining a quote from the vendor. Basic small business on-premises licensing starts at $200. Free trials are available.
The following Accounts Payable Software offer award-winning customer relationships, feature sets, and value for price. Learn more about our Best Of Awards methodology here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Key benefits of accounts payable software include:
- Cost Savings: Reduced manual work and fewer human errors increase efficiency and accuracy.
- Workload Management: AP automation enables accountants to manage large numbers of invoices.
- Improved Vendor Relations: Making accurate and timely payments fosters good relations with vendors and suppliers which may result in discounting or incentives from your providers.
- Better Decision Making: A complete understanding of where your expenditures are going makes for informed decision making
- Improved Cash Management: Real-time AP information helps cash management
- Fraud Reduction: Increased visibility and transparency reduces fraud.