QuickBooks Desktop Premier

I wish I had upgraded my old software.

We use it to plan purchases, sales, AP/AR, GL. Our version is 2 user multiuser (It honestly is not multiuser). Our version is Wholesale/Mfg.

QuickBooks review

We use QuickBooks as our primary financial software. It handles, inventory, payables, payroll, receivables and all financial reporting.

Excellent Accounting Software

Great for small nonprofits!

QuickBooks - Fast and Easy

QuickBooks Premier is Great!

Great reports in QB

QuickBooks is a solid, workable solution

Bank reconciliation (56)

9.9

Accounts receivable (58)

Accounts payable (57)

Standard reports (55)

What is QuickBooks Desktop Premier?

QuickBooks Desktop Premier is an installed version of QuickBooks for general business, contractors, manufacturing and warehouse accounting, as well as nonprofits, professional services, and retail.

What is QuickBooks Online?

QuickBooks Online is a SaaS version of the QuickBooks product. It contains all of the features found in the local version. Higher-priced plans include greater automation, payment management, inventory and time tracking, and analytics features.

What is Zoho Books?

Zoho Books is an accounting solution that is designed to help small businesses manage their finances. This solution includes dashboards and a wide variety of reports. Business users can automate tasks and set up custom workflows. The vendor offers a 14 day free trial.

Payroll Management

Inventory Management

3.9

Order Management

What is QuickBooks Desktop Premier?

Quickbooks Desktop Premier is the on-premise version of Quickbooks designed for various industries. It features core accounting capabilities, including general ledger, double-bookkeeping, and reporting. It also includes invoice status tracking, contractor management, and time and inventory tracking. Premier in particular is designed to enable industry-specific tasks for general contractors and organizations in manufacturing and wholesale, nonprofits, service, and retail sectors, as well as servicing general business needs.

QuickBooks Desktop Premier Video

QuickBooks Desktop Pro/Premier Plus

QuickBooks Desktop Premier Integrations

QuickBooks Desktop Premier Competitors

QuickBooks Desktop Premier Technical Details

Alternatives

What is QuickBooks Desktop Premier?

What is QuickBooks Desktop Premier's best feature?

Reviewers rate Benefit plan administration highest, with a score of 10.

Who uses QuickBooks Desktop Premier?

The most common users of QuickBooks Desktop Premier are from Small Businesses and the Accounting industry.

• Order entry
  • Search customers, vendors, products
  • It doesn't do anything else good.
  • Make multiuser real multiuser. Everyone must log out (cumbersome process) so one single user can do many tasks. They include Changing Sales Tax Rate, Deleting a customer, Defining fields for a customer, [Adjusting] product quantities, [Backing] up [QuickBooks], Delete a ledger code, Delete an inventory part, add additional notes.
  • Could have lines between listing on invoices.
  • Could track inventory product purchases. My old 1970's UNIX software did a stellar job of this. Suppose I buy identical products from numerous vendors. My old software listed 10 dates, 10 vendors, 10 quantities, & 10 prices. [QuickBooks] only lists the very last one.
  • Lists sales commission for sales reps. I can input a sales rep but not print a report with his name, address, & commission. Pulling UPS out of the sales is another chore. We do it manually. (Why computerize?)
  • About every 2 weeks [QuickBooks] won't allow me to restore a backup. I have to delete previous backups.
  • Continual pop-up windows DO I LIKE THE SOFTWARE. When I say no & list reasons...they never fix it.
  • There is a Price Level List. I can sell Item 1 to you for $1, to a store for $.35, & to a distributor for $10. BUT it is a long list. We have 1100 products. There is no search for the item that we want to update. I have to scroll through 1100 items to make a change.
I think I already was clear.
What support? The guy who sold it to me is often available. I have to pay him a lot for help. He is nearing retirement so he won't always be there.
May 03, 2021

QuickBooks review

Phillip Li | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • QB Premier is more powerful than the regular one. It has more detailed features.
  • The inventory system has some good features that I am yet to implement.
  • The inventory features needs a little better integration with existing systems. I would like to learn how to use the inventory "gun" with QB.
We are a construction company and I know that our accounting department uses all of the payroll features and are really happy with the efficiency. The financial reports are extremely useful for me every month.
This is where QuickBooks falls short. Many times my staff has had questions that have not been able to get resolved easily with a chat or call. I personally have had more general questions that have not been answered easily as well. I think QuickBooks needs to provide the resources of having readily accessible help in order to make it simpler to get solutions.
I use QuickBooks Desktop Premier for all the financial and accounting needs for one of our companies.
  • Allow you to make changes on previous months.
  • Allows you to create a copy of an expense.
  • Very easy to reconcile your bank account.
  • Reports
  • Accounts entry
QuickBooks Desktop Premier is well suited [because] it allows you to make corrections easily, make a copy of an expense, and it allows you to reconcile your bank statements easily.
The support team is very helpful. Any issue that you have the support team is quick to assist you.
It is the main accounting software for the company. It helps us track expenses and income and keep our finances well balanced making it so much easier when tax time comes.
  • Keeps expenses tracked.
  • Helps keep track of income and due invoices.
  • Exports well into TurboTax.
  • I'm pretty happy with it as it is.
Well-suited for a small business owner like myself. Without having an accountant on staff this software keeps us balanced and ready for tax time.
No issues, support available when needed.
Quickbooks Desktop Premier is being used across our whole organization. We are able to record donations, payments, vendors, as well as run payroll, payroll taxes. It also incorporates the ability to run reports, budgets, forms, etc. Running applicable reports for our income and expenses is especially beneficial for a small nonprofit like ourselves.
  • Running reports is easy and beneficial
  • It makes reconciling our bank statements easier
  • I have no idea
Quickbooks Desktop Premier is well suited to our small nonprofit. We are able to use it internally which keeps us from having to hire an outside accountant to assist us with our accounts.
Jerry Lisman | TrustRadius Reviewer
We utilize QB Desktop Premier for several of our companies. We manage our inventory, all accounting functions and payroll for most of our companies. We like the ability to generate reports by specific dates and not be forced to report based on a calendar month. We just began using QB for a new acquisition that has accounting software including its operational software but wants standardize our financial reporting across all our portfolio companies.
  • Specific date reporting - This is especially important when comparing sales for specific holiday seasons.
  • The copy feature is very important since we send the exact same orders to various branches of our customers. A very big time saver.
  • Credit card processing is so easy and seamless. Pick the customer, amount and you're done!
  • I would like to see more standard reports and an easier way to review them. It seems to be a slow process when looking at contributed reports.
  • Inventory usage reports need to be more robust and provide some usage projections. We export inventory data to Excel for review and analysis.
  • The P&L reports sometimes get a little funky with number alignment.
We like QB Premier because it is easy to learn for our smaller portfolio companies but powerful enough to support our multi-divisional portfolio companies. Many of our companies are only using a small portion of the features.
QuickBooks Desktop Premier is being used by the accounting department. It makes it easy to see where the company is - easy access to the accounts receivable, accounts payable totals - easy to set up and edit any of the templates - support is good.
  • Tracking accounts payable and receivables
  • Has more features than Quickbooks Pro
  • Easy to set up new clients and track their payments at a glance
  • Financial Statements are easy to read
  • QuickBooks does not support all banking institutions.
  • When downloading bank information sometimes not all of the information imports.
  • Charge too much for direct deposits.
Easy software to use but some of the banking features need to be improved.
I am a solo self-employed attorney running my own law practice. My accountant recommended I switch from Quicken to QuickBooks. I had been using Quicken since 1993. I also need my accounting software to organize the accounts for 4 nonprofits that I run, and all my various personal & business accounts.
  • Accounts receivable
  • Tax prep
  • Law practice escrow account management
  • Bank account mangement
  • Bank account reconciliation
In my opinion, QuickBooks is poorly suited to handled attorney client escrow accounts, where client monies are physically co-mingled but must by law be minutely accounted for down to each penny. You must be able to look at your bank account balance and see all client monies in escrow at any moment in time with a client breakdown. QuickBooks is just not suited for this important task. My accountant tried setting it up several different ways, but none of them functioned with the ease and simplicity of Quicken, which is an account-based program.
Tracie Jones | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Quickbooks Premier (2018 version) primarily for A/P, A/R, and payroll functions within our small marketing company. This program solves invoicing and vendor payment issues as well as making payroll simple and nearly seamless. We do also file state and federal tax forms within B for ease of reporting and data collection. The many reports available make financial statement analysis simple.
  • Data entry and compilation are seamless and easy with QB Premier 2018.
  • Invoicing is smooth and statements can now be sent including a "PAST DUE" stamp.
  • Financial statements are easy to combine and draw information directly out to provide for company owners, banks, and investors.
  • The ability to move screens over and out to more monitors is amazing!
  • I would like to see the multi window controls improved to include icons rather than the left sidebar menu.
  • Inventory control could be improved some although I do not use it much in this position I have had opportunities in the past that would have been a bit more simple had the function been more user-friendly.
  • I am still learning some of the new functions in this version but overall I think QB does a great job of minimizing the stress in my job as an accounting manager.
I use QuickBooks premier in my business which is internet marketing/affiliate market-related. I have also helped other companies set up and begin using QB Premier in industries such as manufacturing and construction. With the right setup and add-ons, QB can be used in nearly all scenarios with ease. I find the program user-friendly and although I would not call it foolproof, easily taught to even those without an accounting background.
Debora Darden, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use QuickBooks Premier for AP, AR, asset management, account reconciliations, payroll, and financial reports.
  • The bank related transactions are good. It's easy to record payments, make deposits, and reconcile the bank accounts. I like the feature that allows you to find the invoice being paid by the number when it's not clear who the correct customer is.
  • Entering bills and credit card payments are a snap, especially for monthly recurring charges. You can use the repeat transaction function, but I like to use the copy function. Just change the date, invoice number, and amount if needed and it's entered easy peasy.
  • Paying bills is another good function. Just click those you want to pay. When you are making a partial payment on an invoice, it's simple to adjust the amount to be paid. Voiding or deleting a check is easy when needed, but you need to be very careful when doing those transactions. Once in a while, I will pay a group of bills and issue the checks, and the next time I go to make a check run the last check from the prior group will show on my ledger as the check needs to be printed. So I have to watch that. It's also easy to print checks with the wrong date on them because QB will use the last date you used. So if you are entering AP invoices and they are dated a few days prior, the checks will come out with that date on them.
  • I have to download a lot of my data from QB to do analysis in Excel. The download process is nice. There are a lot of options for canned reports to select, and you can save your favorites so you don't have to set them up each time.
  • We create our invoices in QB Premier and it is my least fun function of the month. Last year we started to import the data from a cloud-based system that holds our timesheet data using a 3rd party product to perform the upload. This then translates into our customer invoices. The process is quick and easy, and it has shortened my billing process by 2 days because I no longer have to manually input the timesheet data to create the invoices. It's was a bit intimidating at first, but well worth the effort in the long run.
  • Several times a month I need to explort some of my data from QB Premier into Excel to do analysis and there is a limit to the number of columns I can export at a time. When I am working with payroll reports, the columns exceed the limit, so I have to split the report in half and combine them again in Excel. It takes a lot of time, and the further we get into a calendar year the longer it takes. There is lots of room for manual error in this process and payroll data has to be perfect. I'm constantly double checking to make sure I'm staying true.
  • I would love to have more functionality in setting up the templates. We've had to make some concessions on what we would like to show because of space constraints, there is no way to subtotal an invoice (for example, these are the total professionsl fees and these are the total reimbursable expenses) and if the invoice has multiple pages it does not subtotal the page or allow the customer to easily tell this is a multi-page document. It also took me quite a while to figure out how to get my reimbursable expenses onto the invoices from the import function.
  • I would like to be able to tell the average days it takes a customer to pay their invoices. QB Premier will give you that data, but it won't allow you to select a specific time period so if you've had a customer for 10 years and they seem to be slowing down the payments, you can't tell because the canned reports will cover the entire 10 year period. I would like to see, for example, how this customer 's payment trends changed over time to help signal when a customer might be getting into a pattern so I can react quicker.
Based on the size and operations of our firm, QuickBooks Premier is a good product. It feels like we're on the verge of outgrowing it though as we've had some significant growth in the last 2 years. For small companies with 50 people or less and an annual income of under $10MM, I think it's a great product. Also, it depends on the line of business and the scope of work. We would love to be able to run a profit and loss statement by service line, but when the program was set up many years ago that was not a consideration. If you are just starting out, try to envision how you might want the system to function for you in 5 years and not just today. If you are a company that gets audited by anyone, QuickBooks Premier is not going to be the best because you can change transactions and auditors like to see a trail.
Daniel Miles | TrustRadius Reviewer
I used Quickbooks Premier as part of my role at an architectural firm as I was in charge of all of the finances of the company. As a small to mid-sized company, it was very helpful with handling the bookkeeping, including invoicing, A/R, A/P, etc., which allowed me to multi-task alongside my other responsibilities as the office manager.
  • The reporting features are quick and easy. True time saver!
  • Great support including online groups and boards to help with those rare occasions when you need something special.
  • Great plugins to help with some of the daily tasks required for a professional services firm.
  • Customization of reports can be limiting.
  • Busy interface compared to QB online.
  • Hard to find where certain lists or information can be found.
I think QuickBooks Premier is great for small to mid-sized companies as it does have greatly needed features without the gigantic price tag associated with some of the larger types of accounting and project management software. I think if you also had a self-owned business, this is a perfect way to stay on top of the company finances while working with an outside accountant or CPA firm.
February 16, 2018

Great reports in QB

Lindsey Almond | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use QB across our whole organization. Not only do I use it for accounting, bookkeeping and billing, but the account managers are able to process the estimates for job proposals. This keeps everyone organized and also allows us to see where our money flows into and out of with all of the many reports. I love the customizable reports. They allow us to really become efficient in our reporting.
  • Reporting
  • Accountability
  • Streamlining of the billing and automatic payments with memorized transactions
  • Recurring payments!
  • You aren't able to open an estimate if you already have an estimate that you are working on. The same with invoices. I can't open more than one to compare the two.
I have QB desktop. It's suited to the security of the details of our company.
Dawn Carey | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it to handle our accounting as well as using the software to manage our clients' accounting.
  • Tracks AR to know who owes money & how much
  • Provides financial reports based off information that is put into the software
  • User-friendly software helps with training someone who hasn't used the software before.
  • Basics are solid, for what I use it for, it is good.
Does very well with service based businesses.
December 20, 2017

Quickbooks Premier Review

Quickbooks Premier Contractor's Version is being used in our organization to track sale estimates and/or proposals for both commercial and residential clientele. It is also utilized as the primary accounting software to track income, expense, and financials. It allows us to easily pull historical estimates and/or proposals that might be re-activated and produce actual business revenue. It also allows us to quickly provide accounting information to the corporate accountant for year-end functions.
  • Estimates
  • Reports
  • Income Tracker and batch transaction ability especially with in-activating old estimate/proposals.
  • Allowing the user to specify page breaks.
  • Backup naming conventions should be set to increment automatically instead of deleting previous versions.
I believe the online version is somewhat adequate for small business only without many transactions. Any business with over 25 customers should be referred to the desktop version. First, because the online version does not have the same capabilities as the desktop version, and secondly there are usually far more transactions and multiple invoices.
Long-time user. It gets the job done and has all the key components to run a Business. The product hasn’t changed much over the years which is both good and bad. Nice that they have avoided going down the painful path of cloud-only. I hope they start updating the system to work with other technologies, but based on experience that’s not likely as they are milking the cash cow.
  • Cashflow
  • Quoting
  • Third-party integration.
  • Time tracking and billing.
  • Payroll.
It’s good for running your business. I don’t understand why the consultants and accountants have such a problem running the program. I know I’m technical, but the interface is relatively simple and the processes are laid out very nicely.
Silvia Evans | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use QuickBooks Premier to manage finances and payroll activities; it is used in conjunction with third party apps. Everyone in the organization uses the product either to support the company or to support our clients. Not every client is on this version. Some clients are on earlier or later years of Premier. Some clients are on QuickBooks Online. It solves the bookkeeping matters, such as payables and receivables, keeps records to support tax preparation and records payroll. It is used for budgeting and planning. It is simpler for the clients to understand as compared to the module based accounting systems.
  • It is intuitive for the client. For example, when the client goes to write a check, a screen opens that looks like a check.
  • It does all the debits and credits behind the scenes, so the client does not need to have an understanding of debits and credits.
  • There is a lot of support and a big community of users, so it is easy to get help, and to find staff that know how to work with the software.
  • The desktop version is much more robust than the online version, and the processing speed is much better.
  • You can only have average cost for inventory. No last-in, last-out (LIFO) or first-in, first-out (FIFO).
  • If you are not on a hosted solution provider, you may have problems accessing your data remotely.
  • You have to keep upgrading and installing updates.
If more than one person needs to access the file and not everyone is in the same location, it is easier and cheaper to use the online version, as compared to a hosted solution provider. However, it is faster and cheaper than the online version if everyone is working in the same location and you don't have more than about five users.
This is an awesome product and the support team is very knowledgeable. The product is mature, so there are not a lot of bugs and the support team really solves problems quickly. Usually it is a user error issue, but the support desk helps me out. I love the fact that it is US based support.
John Ferrari | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use QuickBooks as a writeup software for our business tax practice as well as for our business management practice.
  • Ability to Import Bank and Vendor Information
  • Run Payroll Easily
  • Speed of software opening
  • Pricing Structure/Discounts for accountants should be increased as we refer clients
QuickBooks is pretty well suited for most business, if you add the modules like construction it is very adaptable.
Andrew Newman CPA | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it throughout the organization for time keeping billing and invoicing. We sync it with payroll (QuickBooks Mananged Payroll) and with Bill. com which is our portal for payment and client receipts and invoicing. All employees have different levels of access and keep track of their time in the program. We use the program in a shared file server environment.
  • Integrates well with the other software I use
  • Easy to navigate
  • Easy to set up
  • Good support network
  • Reporting is old and inflexible
  • Levels of security are not very flexible
  • Multiuser is cumbersome
What are your needs? How will you be using the program? What is you business? What will your goal be for an accounting software? What kind of computer equipment and network do you have?
Kimberly Galland | TrustRadius Reviewer
QuickBooks Premier is used to manage accounting for multiple companies; provide invoicing, prepare financials and annual accounting for tax returns. All business clients are using QuickBooks Pro or Premier. 10% use QuickBooks Online. It tracks income and expenses and allows clients to process payroll checks and returns. It is user friendly, offers easy file transfer, and many helpful adjustment features for accountants to use for review.
  • Allows accountant's copy or portable file transfer so the accountant can work in the file while the client continues to use it. Files can easily be shared through secure Intuit server, email, or secure file transfer such as Dropbox.
  • Offers relatively easy payroll calculations within the software that clients can manage on their own.
  • Using bank feeds and downloads speeds up the monthly accounting process or entering large amounts of data at once.
  • Inventory feature is very poor and not designed for novice users.
  • Accountants' have the ability to correct multiple transactions relatively easily but regular users do not.
  • It allows inexperienced users to make adjustments or post to accounts that are in error. The accountant must spend time correcting the mistakes at the client's expense.

Do you need the ability to invoice clients or track billable charges? You can easily create invoices and email or allow online payments.

Do you need to track inventory? There are other software that may track detail inventory better.

Do you need to process payroll for employees? Offers cost effective and user friendly options

How many users need accesss to the software?

As a small business, QuickBooks Premier is an easy transition from Quicken in my personal finances. It tracks my invoicing, client information, billing, etc. My receivables and payables are organized. The best part is that the information I take to my accountant is accurate and clear! No more scrambling to get everything together. The backup feature has completely saved us during hardware failure.
  • Keeps accounts simple and straightforward.
  • Has manageable alerts for bill reminders.
  • Allows for easy transferring of funds between accounts.
  • Saves client information for repeat billing.
  • The keystroke shortcut commands don't match Windows shortcut - IE: copy/past is delete/void
  • Not easy to clear transactions in bulk and correct a mistake.
  • Reporting can always be improved.
Larger organizations with more complex billing needs will find that it is lacking. However, for a small comp,any it is perfect. It may be challenging to carry too much inventory selection in this program - but simple lists are good. As with anything - when your needs are basic, this works very well. If you have complex accounts or reporting needs, you may grow out of it.
I am using QuickBooks Premier 2019 for three companies that I manage, for the same owner, out of the same building. I use it for all accounting needs; A/P, A/R, deposits, and payroll.

Once the company files are set up, it's pretty smooth, and the information is accurate. Like all software, there is a learning curve on where you access everything.
  • Reporting - As long as you enter the information accurately, and do not get sloppy, all reporting is spot-on.
  • Reconciling - It's very easy to figure out where your money is, and if it's off a little bit, it's easy to drill down into the problem to fix it.
  • Deposits - It's very easy to make deposits, once your bank is set up, and you learn the steps.
  • Forms - Setting up all forms that you print to look the same takes time and patience. It's not very user friendly. For example, changing the packing slip is not at all where you would think, which makes it super annoying.
  • Inventory - Adjusting inventory levels is not good. You have to really watch what you're doing, or you will have negative money in the wrong GL account.
  • Printing - Aligning checks is not simple. You have to do it many times to get everything to line up correctly.
QuickBooks Premier is nice when you only have one company. For me, I have three companies that I switch between, and you can only have one company file open at a time. You have to upgrade to have the ability to have more companies open at a time.
May 05, 2015

President

Andrea Campbell, CPA,CITP | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use QuickBooks to run most aspects of my business, billing, payroll, general ledger. It lets me run my business quickly and efficiently from one platform. As a sole practitioner, I don't have a lot of time to waste on the back office. I appreciate the efficiency I get from QuickBooks.
  • Invoicing. Items can be pre-loaded with text to make creating an invoice fast and efficient.
  • Memorized Transactions. All types of transactions can be recorded repeatedly by QuickBooks with little effort on my part. This also lets me avoid missing monthly bills or retainer invoices.
  • Writing checks is one of the best tasks. If you can write a physical check, you can write a check in QuickBooks. The auto fill and auto recall make this task exceptionally easy and fast.
  • Payroll needs to be streamlined. There are about 5 steps to creating a payroll check, 2 (the confirmations to create and print the checks) are redundant.
  • Payroll tax payment corrections are too complicated. Adjusting the balances for discounts, etc. are cumbersome.
  • Using the find for an amount could be better. There is no default, you have to choose less than, greater than or equal. The default should be equal. The others should be an option.
If the business will have inventory or costing, I usually use caution in recommending QuickBooks. While it will perform the tasks for inventory and costing, the setup is critical to getting the information you need correctly. Once started, it is difficult to make corrections since changes are applied retroactively to all transactions.
QuickBooks Premier is used by our accounting firm for internal accounting, budgeting and time tracking/billing. We also recommend, install and train clients to use QuickBooks Premier as well. The product is easy to learn and therefore easy to teach. It is flexible and versatile enough to serve the needs of over 90% of our clients. The price for the software, install and training is well within most company budgets.
  • The QuickBooks Premier product is easy to learn and easy to use. We always say to clients that "there isn't anything you can do in the software we can't fix". We can train the owner's wife who has no accounting background how to use the software effectively with just creating simple input steps.
  • The Graphic Interface is extremely user friendly. The option of pictures, menus and drop downs makes it easy for our clients to do their work. There are many roads leading to the same transactions. This makes the software usable for a variety of different clients.
  • The reporting features are robust enough that most clients don't need anything else. But if they do the interface with Excel makes it very easy to download and manipulate data by a more advanced user. Also the third party providers offer a host of applications which can be utilized to expand QB Premier capabilities in the reporting area.
  • The lack of controls for changing certain transactions is a problem. A check that has been printed, a paycheck that has been created, a reconciled banking transaction should NEVER be able to be changed after the fact, for any reason.
  • Downloads of data from banks and POS systems is very problematic. Almost always we disconnect the downloads and have the client manually enter activity.
The decision to use QuickBooks Premier is based on the answers to two questions:
1. Who will be using the software?
2. What are the functions the client needs?

A very sophisticated full charge bookkeeper with extensive reporting needs would not be a good fit for this software. An owner or other family member who just needs to keep a set of books for tax purposes is a great fit for this software.
John Coleman | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use the program internally for our financial accounting and we use it for some of our clients to prepare their financials. Other clients also use it and we review their work. Virtually everyone here except our receptionist uses the program. We keep our internal books very up to date so it helps us compare our current and prior year results in real time.
  • I really like the Portable Accountant file. Many of our clients who use this program internally like us to review their work but they can't shut down their financial operations while we are working on the file. The split that the accountant copy generates allows us to work on the historical data while the client can continue with current and future transactions.
  • I like the import feature. We do our payroll through ADP and can export a file from there and import it into QuickBooks. Doing the financials for our internal payroll takes about a minute.
  • The ability to add additional accounts or subaccounts is also a very nice feature for us internally as well as our clients.
  • The program takes a very long time to load. It'd be nice to be able to open it quicker as myself and my staff are somewhat inefficient while waiting for the program to load. Probably one of the longest hold times we have for any software.
  • Our clients are constantly receiving payments when an invoice has not been generated. This results in a negative A/R. QuickBooks needs to alert the user to this so this can be avoided.
  • When a group of checks is deposited and one bounces, you have to undeposit the entire lot and redeposit those that did go through. Should be a way for you to go in and just select the one that did not credit.

Some of our clients who are small don't use an accounting software because they can reconcile everything on Excel. They also don't have any employees so that QuickBooks is probably not needed for them. The rest of our clients, we recommend QuickBooks. However, some do not use it because they have an industry specific program which has some financial functions. What we've found is that these financial functions, whether it be general ledger capabilities or even payroll; are fairly subpar. So, we recommend that they use this industry specific program for inventory, revenues, etc...and then do the whole financial statement and accounting function in QuickBooks.

So, the questions I ask are:

1) What's your company size and how comfortable are you with excel reconciliations?
2) Do you run payroll?
3) Do you have an industry specific program?

Cristine Delos Santos | TrustRadius Reviewer
This software is used by the entire organization and it helps us a lot in the overall bookkeeping process for our clients. It makes financial generation easy and quick which make work more efficient.
  • Remote Access Capability- This feature of QB is essential for us since we target the markets of Hawaii and Australia and our Operations Team is in the Philippines.
  • Easier reconciliation of bank type accounts - The interface provides us, bookkeepers, with a list of transactions which we can modify (if recorded wrong) on the spot. It also makes it easier to track unrecorded bank transactions for the given period.
  • Import of IIF and Excel files - It makes recording numerous transactions faster and more accurate than recording each entry one at a time. It improves our effectiveness and efficiency as bookkeepers.
  • Recognition of duplicate vendor and customer name.
Quickbooks is well suited for small business owners like our clients from Hawaii. The balance sheet, profit & loss and other reports we submit are more understandable and preferred by end-users. I guess Quickbooks is less appropriate for large businesses with highly complex accounting procedures because this requires a more sophisticated accounting system to achieve desired results.
The Quickbooks support is good but still has some room for improvement.