Reviews (1-25 of 54)
- Keeps accounts simple and straightforward.
- Has manageable alerts for bill reminders.
- Allows for easy transferring of funds between accounts.
- Saves client information for repeat billing.
- The keystroke shortcut commands don't match Windows shortcut - IE: copy/past is delete/void
- Not easy to clear transactions in bulk and correct a mistake.
- Reporting can always be improved.
- Reporting - As long as you enter the information accurately, and do not get sloppy, all reporting is spot-on.
- Reconciling - It's very easy to figure out where your money is, and if it's off a little bit, it's easy to drill down into the problem to fix it.
- Deposits - It's very easy to make deposits, once your bank is set up, and you learn the steps.
- Forms - Setting up all forms that you print to look the same takes time and patience. It's not very user friendly. For example, changing the packing slip is not at all where you would think, which makes it super annoying.
- Inventory - Adjusting inventory levels is not good. You have to really watch what you're doing, or you will have negative money in the wrong GL account.
- Printing - Aligning checks is not simple. You have to do it many times to get everything to line up correctly.
QuickBooks Desktop Premier Review: "QuickBooks Premier 2018 is the wave of the future in accounting!"
- Data entry and compilation are seamless and easy with QB Premier 2018.
- Invoicing is smooth and statements can now be sent including a "PAST DUE" stamp.
- Financial statements are easy to combine and draw information directly out to provide for company owners, banks, and investors.
- The ability to move screens over and out to more monitors is amazing!
- I would like to see the multi window controls improved to include icons rather than the left sidebar menu.
- Inventory control could be improved some although I do not use it much in this position I have had opportunities in the past that would have been a bit more simple had the function been more user-friendly.
- I am still learning some of the new functions in this version but overall I think QB does a great job of minimizing the stress in my job as an accounting manager.
- The bank related transactions are good. It's easy to record payments, make deposits, and reconcile the bank accounts. I like the feature that allows you to find the invoice being paid by the number when it's not clear who the correct customer is.
- Entering bills and credit card payments are a snap, especially for monthly recurring charges. You can use the repeat transaction function, but I like to use the copy function. Just change the date, invoice number, and amount if needed and it's entered easy peasy.
- Paying bills is another good function. Just click those you want to pay. When you are making a partial payment on an invoice, it's simple to adjust the amount to be paid. Voiding or deleting a check is easy when needed, but you need to be very careful when doing those transactions. Once in a while, I will pay a group of bills and issue the checks, and the next time I go to make a check run the last check from the prior group will show on my ledger as the check needs to be printed. So I have to watch that. It's also easy to print checks with the wrong date on them because QB will use the last date you used. So if you are entering AP invoices and they are dated a few days prior, the checks will come out with that date on them.
- I have to download a lot of my data from QB to do analysis in Excel. The download process is nice. There are a lot of options for canned reports to select, and you can save your favorites so you don't have to set them up each time.
- We create our invoices in QB Premier and it is my least fun function of the month. Last year we started to import the data from a cloud-based system that holds our timesheet data using a 3rd party product to perform the upload. This then translates into our customer invoices. The process is quick and easy, and it has shortened my billing process by 2 days because I no longer have to manually input the timesheet data to create the invoices. It's was a bit intimidating at first, but well worth the effort in the long run.
- Several times a month I need to explort some of my data from QB Premier into Excel to do analysis and there is a limit to the number of columns I can export at a time. When I am working with payroll reports, the columns exceed the limit, so I have to split the report in half and combine them again in Excel. It takes a lot of time, and the further we get into a calendar year the longer it takes. There is lots of room for manual error in this process and payroll data has to be perfect. I'm constantly double checking to make sure I'm staying true.
- I would love to have more functionality in setting up the templates. We've had to make some concessions on what we would like to show because of space constraints, there is no way to subtotal an invoice (for example, these are the total professionsl fees and these are the total reimbursable expenses) and if the invoice has multiple pages it does not subtotal the page or allow the customer to easily tell this is a multi-page document. It also took me quite a while to figure out how to get my reimbursable expenses onto the invoices from the import function.
- I would like to be able to tell the average days it takes a customer to pay their invoices. QB Premier will give you that data, but it won't allow you to select a specific time period so if you've had a customer for 10 years and they seem to be slowing down the payments, you can't tell because the canned reports will cover the entire 10 year period. I would like to see, for example, how this customer 's payment trends changed over time to help signal when a customer might be getting into a pattern so I can react quicker.
- The reporting features are quick and easy. True time saver!
- Great support including online groups and boards to help with those rare occasions when you need something special.
- Great plugins to help with some of the daily tasks required for a professional services firm.
- Customization of reports can be limiting.
- Busy interface compared to QB online.
- Hard to find where certain lists or information can be found.
- Streamlining of the billing and automatic payments with memorized transactions
- Recurring payments!
- You aren't able to open an estimate if you already have an estimate that you are working on. The same with invoices. I can't open more than one to compare the two.
- QuickBooks Premier has all the basic functions of the QuickBooks Basic plus industry-specific tools for inventory management, cost-tracking and much more.
- QuickBooks Premier has an extensive set of reports that can be customized for profitability analysis. Plus AR/AP reports are an excellent tool to help manage cash flow.
- QuickBooks Premier is inexpensive in a long run as opposed to QuickBooks Online where you pay monthly recurring fees, those add up quickly!
- Learning some of the advanced functions can be time-consuming, but there is lots of online support through QB community and YouTube training videos.
- While it's more efficient and comprehensive, QuickBooks Online gives instant simultaneous access to business owners and accounting professionals. Same cannot be said about QuickBooks Premier desktop version.
- Quickbooks Premier allows you to link your bank accounts and credit cards to download transactions allowing you to have fewer errors when inputting your data.
- Quickbooks Premier has a variety of easy to generate and easy to use reports. Tracking A/R and A/P are a breeze and the data is available within a few clicks.
- Quickbooks Premier printable checks takes the hassle out of tracking your expenses in separate locations.
- Quickbooks Premier should allow you to edit the amount of memorized transactions. Currently you have to delete a transaction from your memorized list and add a new one.
- Tracks AR to know who owes money & how much
- Provides financial reports based off information that is put into the software
- User-friendly software helps with training someone who hasn't used the software before.
- Basics are solid, for what I use it for, it is good.
- Income Tracker and batch transaction ability especially with in-activating old estimate/proposals.
- Allowing the user to specify page breaks.
- Backup naming conventions should be set to increment automatically instead of deleting previous versions.
- It is intuitive for the client. For example, when the client goes to write a check, a screen opens that looks like a check.
- It does all the debits and credits behind the scenes, so the client does not need to have an understanding of debits and credits.
- There is a lot of support and a big community of users, so it is easy to get help, and to find staff that know how to work with the software.
- The desktop version is much more robust than the online version, and the processing speed is much better.
- You can only have average cost for inventory. No last-in, last-out (LIFO) or first-in, first-out (FIFO).
- If you are not on a hosted solution provider, you may have problems accessing your data remotely.
- You have to keep upgrading and installing updates.
- Allows accountant's copy or portable file transfer so the accountant can work in the file while the client continues to use it. Files can easily be shared through secure Intuit server, email, or secure file transfer such as Dropbox.
- Offers relatively easy payroll calculations within the software that clients can manage on their own.
- Using bank feeds and downloads speeds up the monthly accounting process or entering large amounts of data at once.
- Inventory feature is very poor and not designed for novice users.
- Accountants' have the ability to correct multiple transactions relatively easily but regular users do not.
- It allows inexperienced users to make adjustments or post to accounts that are in error. The accountant must spend time correcting the mistakes at the client's expense.
Do you need the ability to invoice clients or track billable charges? You can easily create invoices and email or allow online payments.
Do you need to track inventory? There are other software that may track detail inventory better.
Do you need to process payroll for employees? Offers cost effective and user friendly options
How many users need accesss to the software?
- Invoicing. Items can be pre-loaded with text to make creating an invoice fast and efficient.
- Memorized Transactions. All types of transactions can be recorded repeatedly by QuickBooks with little effort on my part. This also lets me avoid missing monthly bills or retainer invoices.
- Writing checks is one of the best tasks. If you can write a physical check, you can write a check in QuickBooks. The auto fill and auto recall make this task exceptionally easy and fast.
- Payroll needs to be streamlined. There are about 5 steps to creating a payroll check, 2 (the confirmations to create and print the checks) are redundant.
- Payroll tax payment corrections are too complicated. Adjusting the balances for discounts, etc. are cumbersome.
- Using the find for an amount could be better. There is no default, you have to choose less than, greater than or equal. The default should be equal. The others should be an option.
QuickBooks Desktop Premier Review: "QuickBooks Premier - A great option for the bookkeeper with no formal training."
- The QuickBooks Premier product is easy to learn and easy to use. We always say to clients that "there isn't anything you can do in the software we can't fix". We can train the owner's wife who has no accounting background how to use the software effectively with just creating simple input steps.
- The Graphic Interface is extremely user friendly. The option of pictures, menus and drop downs makes it easy for our clients to do their work. There are many roads leading to the same transactions. This makes the software usable for a variety of different clients.
- The reporting features are robust enough that most clients don't need anything else. But if they do the interface with Excel makes it very easy to download and manipulate data by a more advanced user. Also the third party providers offer a host of applications which can be utilized to expand QB Premier capabilities in the reporting area.
- The lack of controls for changing certain transactions is a problem. A check that has been printed, a paycheck that has been created, a reconciled banking transaction should NEVER be able to be changed after the fact, for any reason.
- Downloads of data from banks and POS systems is very problematic. Almost always we disconnect the downloads and have the client manually enter activity.
1. Who will be using the software?
2. What are the functions the client needs?
A very sophisticated full charge bookkeeper with extensive reporting needs would not be a good fit for this software. An owner or other family member who just needs to keep a set of books for tax purposes is a great fit for this software.
- I really like the Portable Accountant file. Many of our clients who use this program internally like us to review their work but they can't shut down their financial operations while we are working on the file. The split that the accountant copy generates allows us to work on the historical data while the client can continue with current and future transactions.
- I like the import feature. We do our payroll through ADP and can export a file from there and import it into QuickBooks. Doing the financials for our internal payroll takes about a minute.
- The ability to add additional accounts or subaccounts is also a very nice feature for us internally as well as our clients.
- The program takes a very long time to load. It'd be nice to be able to open it quicker as myself and my staff are somewhat inefficient while waiting for the program to load. Probably one of the longest hold times we have for any software.
- Our clients are constantly receiving payments when an invoice has not been generated. This results in a negative A/R. QuickBooks needs to alert the user to this so this can be avoided.
- When a group of checks is deposited and one bounces, you have to undeposit the entire lot and redeposit those that did go through. Should be a way for you to go in and just select the one that did not credit.
Some of our clients who are small don't use an accounting software because they can reconcile everything on Excel. They also don't have any employees so that QuickBooks is probably not needed for them. The rest of our clients, we recommend QuickBooks. However, some do not use it because they have an industry specific program which has some financial functions. What we've found is that these financial functions, whether it be general ledger capabilities or even payroll; are fairly subpar. So, we recommend that they use this industry specific program for inventory, revenues, etc...and then do the whole financial statement and accounting function in QuickBooks.
So, the questions I ask are:
1) What's your company size and how comfortable are you with excel reconciliations?
2) Do you run payroll?
3) Do you have an industry specific program?
QuickBooks Desktop Premier Review: "If you want the best for your BPO business, you need QuickBooks!"
- Remote Access Capability- This feature of QB is essential for us since we target the markets of Hawaii and Australia and our Operations Team is in the Philippines.
- Easier reconciliation of bank type accounts - The interface provides us, bookkeepers, with a list of transactions which we can modify (if recorded wrong) on the spot. It also makes it easier to track unrecorded bank transactions for the given period.
- Import of IIF and Excel files - It makes recording numerous transactions faster and more accurate than recording each entry one at a time. It improves our effectiveness and efficiency as bookkeepers.
- Recognition of duplicate vendor and customer name.
- QuickBooks Premier is the preferred accounting solution to the majority of small businesses. Most small businesses are familiar with the product and the software is relatively simple to use.
- The cost of QuickBooks is very attractive to the clients, as well as the various levels of software that the client can choose from. The software also offers programs that are able to handle increased and more complex transactions.
- There are many "bolt on" products that increase the functionality of the software.
- They need better methods of locking down the data. The ease of use creates many areas that the data can be compromised.
We are a public accounting firm and QB's online or desktop is used by almost all of our clients plus we use it internally. It is a very easy to use product but some of the features could be better located for ease of use, such as the functions hidden in the "+" sign at the top. The accountant's version to access client data remotely is difficult to use in some ways and a bit burdensome for me. Internally we use the online version and have no issues, in fact, we are at this time looking to integrate it with or MS Dynamics CRM program rather than have to drop $15,000 just to install MS GP (Great Plains for those of us who remember it).
Overall, QB's has improved a lot over the years, and I do really like the reports. I do need to see if I can prepare reports that compare year-to-year and month-to-month, but that's my own issue of taking the time to work on it.
I do recommend it to clients for its ease of use (if only they would actually use it!...the quest of accountants everywhere!).
- Ease of set-up but get help from an accountant
- Ease of use
- Very good reports
- get rid of the "+" sign and just put a menu
- default all accounting to cash accounting, it is easier for clients to use and understand
- A snapshot: cash in bank, cask by G/L. A/P in one week and A/R in one week; that's what a business should know every morning
what kind of company, what kind of needs; work-in-process, perpetual or other inventory, knowledge of primary user
- Complexity of organization
- Volume of transactions
- Reporting needs
It may be helpful to offer free classes on tricks of QuickBooks as well as lessons on how to use the functions of QuickBooks correctly.
- Record expenses for audits in our case.
- There is an option to even photograph and save your receipts with your phone.
- You can also automatically download and categorize bank and credit card transactions
- Customized reporting can be enhanced
QuickBooks Desktop Premier Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About QuickBooks Desktop Premier
QuickBooks Desktop Premier Integrations
QuickBooks Desktop Premier Competitors
QuickBooks Desktop Premier Technical Details