October 22, 2019
Score 8 out of 10
SAP HANA, enterprise edition
Overall Satisfaction with SAP HANA
I've worked on HANA for about 5 years, and on a lot of projects where HANA was involved. I use HANA with BW (on HANA and BW/4 HANA). Alot of analyses have moved from periodic to real-time. Heavy processing has had dramatic time reductions.
- Realtime analysis
- Manage heavy processing
- Easily to manage large amounts of data
- Optimize the system/the compilation phase of calculation and viewing with complex logics
- Optimize the automatic push-down of the filters and the level of detail of analysis
- Improve error messages in order to better help identify problems
- All companies demand to have SAP HANA in their system. Using it has allowed us to sell many projects. Many times, however, we were forced to spend extra effort to meet the expectations of the customer with the related costs.
- It was not easy to train people on HANA and many times we had to organize several courses for this.
- It became more difficult to understand which people to invest this time in, since sometimes people left for other offers at other consulting companies.
- We had to acquire several assets (sometimes not cheap) to be able to make demos and show customers what can be done with SAP HANA.
In the projects we followed, we implemented planning masks with BPC and a real-time control system helped a lot to keep the planners under control.
As mentioned, we used BPC Embedded. For this version of BPC, the most important core thing was the non-redundancy of the data. We could access data directly. We also sometimes had to fall back on the historicization of the results.
It is a product that can solve many common problems among customers but needs a lot of expertise if you do not want to face problems of data quality and performance.
Do you think SAP HANA delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with SAP HANA's feature set?
Did SAP HANA live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of SAP HANA go as expected?
Would you buy SAP HANA again?
I would recommend it when there are simple calculation logics but on large amounts of data. It may not be the best tool when the logics are very complex and the volume of data is very large. The implementation may seem simple but does not give the results in the expected time. Many tuning activities are required in these cases to improve the time.